“Get the Blue Plate Special”

Old Mill Tasty Shop
Ranked #14 of 1,042 Restaurants in Wichita
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Antonio, Texas
“Get the Blue Plate Special”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I am huge fan of Mom and Pop shops and try to find one in every city I travel to. This place did not disappoint! Not know the specialties I asked my waitress for here recommendation, she quickly responded with the "Chicken Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, and home cooked Green Beans" which was the day’s Blue Plate Special. I honestly felt like I was eating a home cooked meal, not some re-heated premade patty from a chain restaurant. I only regret not having enough room for a shake, maybe next time.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Kitsho

Park City, Kansas
“"Good Dining"”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I took my daughter here for lunch. Our food was good, service was good, & prices were reasonable. Atmosphere was nostalgic, & they have a wide variety of food options.

• Visited September 2013
“Great little find”
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Our family decided to stop here based on reviews for a late lunch. The chicken salad was great, as well the tomato bisque and green chili. The best though was the apple bread pudding with homemade caramel sauce. Other members of the party really like the baked beans. We were able to park within a block away, and really enjoyed this old-fashioned soda shop.

Perryton, Texas
“Fun place and good food”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This place is just like an old soda shop. They still have original soda fountains and the coolest thing was the old ice box that still worked. The sandwiches and salads are really good and the green chili is awesome! The milkshakes are really thick and rich, so they will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. This is a fun place and definitely worth the stop.

• Visited October 2013
Lakeland, Florida
“Who would'a thought?”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

When I read that the #1 rated restaurant in Wichita was an old fashioned soda fountain, I was skeptical to say the least. But we stopped in for lunch on a Tuesday and now I know why the place has the reputation it does. It's been around for 81 years with a philosophy of serving good food with a good attitude at reasonable prices. A lot of places make the claim. This place delivers. It's a throwback to the '50's style diner/luncheonette. The food is solid fare. Nothing cute or fancy but good. Service was friendly. The staff made us feel like we were new to town and wooing us to become regulars. A woman we thought was the owner (she was not) heard us inquiring about different menu items and without asking brought out a small sampling of 6 different items. You don't find that in many places.
I had the green chili soup, quite good and the barbecue brisket on kaiser bun also tender and tasty. My wife had the Kansas City steak soup which had so much meat and veggies it would pass as a stew in most places.
The portions are very generous, prices incredibly reasonable. That lunch for two with a 2 scoop ice cream dessert was just a bit over $20. Great friendly atmosphere and from the sounds of it lots of locals stop in. They close at 3 most days but tell me they stay open until 8 on Friday and Saturday.

Visited October 2013