“A Great Day at the Zoo”

Sedgwick County Zoo
Ranked #1 of 79 things to do in Wichita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: To inspire discovery, appreciation, and respect for animals and nature.
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I really enjoy zoos in all cities, so the Wichita Sedgwick County Zoo is a very good time even during winter months. They have a very good ape exhibit and now have penquins and are building a tiger exhibit. The zoo is clean and the people are friendly and helpful. The animals are not sad and bored looking which you see at some zoos.

Thank James and Sandr... B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
in 20 reviews
in 41 reviews

Reviewed February 8, 2008

We have been to the Houston zoo, Tulsa zoo, Oklahoma zoo, and many other zoos when we travel and the Sedgwick Co. Zoo is still my favorite. Wonderful for children, with easy to view animals in every exhibit. The animals are not crowded and yet there isn't excess walking between them. Very stroller friendly, healthy snacks available, and a little bit of every variety of animal. Even penguins now. Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed September 10, 2007

The Sedgwick County Zoo is easy to get to and has a large number of exhibits that are well laid out. They added a penguin exhibit, opened 2007 but also have a wonderful ape, lion and north american exhibit.

We have a family membership and go many times throughout the year and still enjoy it.

They have added a free tram ride that you can use to get around the park if you don't want to walk the whole distance.

Reviewed July 22, 2006

I love zoos. My husband and I visit zoos everywhere we go, so I wasn't sure what kind of experience I was going to have at this "little" zoo that was so close to home. As it turns out, this is a great zoo! The zoo is laid out perfectly, so that you can see all the exhibits without a lot of backtracking. In fact, we were only there from noon to closing and saw every single exhibit! The day we went was very hot, so they had some of the animals inside, but for each animal they had inside there was a place for us to go and look at it inside. We probably saw 98% of the animals on exhibit. Most of the animals you could see very closely, inside or out. This zoo also has an extensive kids petting area, with animals from Asia, America, and Africa on display up close and personal. There are also many exhibits where some animals roam free, which gives you a chance to get very close to them. There are lots of food machines throughout the place so you can feed some of the animals, and zookeeper feeding times are on display so you can watch the feedings if you wish. The whole zoo is divided into exhibits from different geographic areas, and the areas are decorated in the style, with plants, buildings, music, and the like.. Everything was clean and well maintained. The only negative thing I have to say is that no one should ever have to pay $10 for 2 hot dogs and 2 waters. Bring your own snacks! I would recommend this zoo to anyone.

1  Thank AnotherMidwife
See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
Wichita, KS
Reviewed October 29, 2005

I am a Wichita resident and a long time Sedgwick County Zoo member. I have visited alot of zoo's in my time and Sedgwick County Zoo is one of the very best! The Gorilla Exhibit "The Downing Gorilla Forest" is the newest addition to the zoo. You just don't realize the size of these animals until you can stare one in the face through a pane of glass in the sheltered exhibit. The Lions are in the "Pride of the Plains Exhibit". You can get really up close and personal with many different vantage points in this exhibit. And, my favorites are the Meerkat's, because they are very interactive with visitors. You'll spend a good 1/2 day here for sure! It's located in West Wichita and easily accessible from Highway I-235 and K-96.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member