“Ok for sleeping....not the cleanest.”

Wyndham Garden Wichita Downtown
Ranked #28 of 86 Hotels in Wichita
Cape Girardeau, MO
“Ok for sleeping....not the cleanest.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

I stayed here on business. The service at the front desk was great! The lobby looked clean and well kept. When we exited the elevator on the 2nd floor, the wall where the window was directly off the elevator was covered in mold. Once in my room I noticed a fairly large mold spot near the window. There was also a whole in the wall where the door opened and hit it over and over. In the bathroom there was an exposed fuse box. The housekeeping did a good job of cleaning the room overall. While I did not swim, overlooking the pool and hottub, they seem to be pretty dirty and in need of a new paint job. The trash cans and ashtrays on the hotel grounds to not get emptied daily and the occasional piece of trash gets left sitting on the ground for at least a couple of days. Overall, it was fine to sleep in, but I would never go for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Wichita Downtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I do apologize for the conditions that you had to see while you were here. Those had been addressed as our pool is now closed for the season and looking to do some refurbishing this spring. As for the mold issue that has been repaired and addressed. I am truly sorry for those conditions you witnessed as we do want our appearance to be something your remember as positive. Again I am truly sorry for the conditions and when you do return to Wichita you consider coming again and casee that improvements are important to us as well.

Amanda Bryant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

Near to the Baseball stadium, large sized room, nice and clean. Also has bar at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments its always a pleasure to hear about how your stay was and I am very pleased that you enjoyed staying with us.

West Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2010

For a number of years I stopped staying in Holiday Inns for their reputation of poorly maintained properties and bad service. Recently I've stayed in a few more because of location and conferences. I have been pleasantly surprised at the refreshes at many of the properties, but the downtown Wichita Holiday Inn reminded me too much of a classic Holiday Inn (that's not a good thing).

It appears that they attempted a refresh, but it's very apparent that the owners/operators were looking for the cheapest possible options. In my room there were severe wall cracks, rusted vents, an exposed and rusted electrical panel in my bathroom and a poorly plumbed toilet. The carpet and walls were filthy. Throughout the rest of the property there were carpet baseboards that were falling off the walls, wallpaper peeling and dirty floors.

I ate breakfast in the restaurant on site and had to go get a waitress from the kitchen to take my order. She was unkempt and reeked of smoke. I then had to wait for her to bring my check while she, "ran a room service."

I'll be sticking with my Hilton and Marriott family. Sorry Holiday Inn; you had an opportunity but you had a bad one in the bunch and you lost.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

One Friday night stay this. Easy to find and park at. The view was of the elevated road that passed the hotel yet the hotel interior was very quiet. In fact you know when there at not many guests when yours is the only room with a USA today outside it in the morning on the entire floor.
The kind reception lady gave me a suite on the 5th Floor, two room, two bathroom which was more than adequate. The room was showing the wear of a hotel that has seen some traffic but not dirty. Bed comfortable and shower good and powerful. I had a steak in the bar which was good and well priced and then headed off to town. To the bar/nightlife area it was $5 in a taxi.
Parking area was lit but could be a worry to some and the area wasn't that bad. There are some eateries within walking distance for families and about 1/2 mile away are recommended steakhouses on Wichita's tourism website. Total bill including food $130

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Spiderpig41
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It is always a great feeling when a guest has a great experience as that is our goal in making sure our guests feel welcomed.

Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

rooms very small no resturant open tornado warning. alarm sounded and staff did not notify guests

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank wildadventurer
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I do apologize for the experience you had while staying at our facility as we do want to provide the best stay possible. We did address your concerned and had some training based on what you mentioned was needed from your stay. Again thank you and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

leaflet22
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

I generally have a good experience with the Holiday Inn, and this was no exception. It was clean and the staff was friendly. It was a bit understaffed, but this was probably because we stayed there on the evening of January 1st.

We loved that they allowed us to keep our lab in the room for no extra charge. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

The restaurant downstairs wasn't my favorite place. They served me some sausage that was still frozen in the middle, but they did discount our meal because of this. I would stay here again, especially if we have the dog with us.

• Liked — Great pet policy
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank leaflet22
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It is always a great feeling to know when a guest enjoyed their time with us and we enjoy when the whole family gets to come including your lab. Your always welcome with us.

Big Lake, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

Sometimes you just can't pass up a good rate. The $72 rate intimidated me. I took a chance. I have stayed at this hotel twice, once in June 08 and again in August 08. The rooms are smaller and laid out a little strange. They are clean and comfortable, the work station is adequate but could be improved. Don't expect any extras. There is a restaurant and small bar onsite and the staff is very nice. This can be a problematic site if you don't have transportation, there is not much around and I have been warned that you don't want to stray off away from the downtown area.
I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jonathan F
Thank you so much for your comments. We always appreciate all feedback and I am pleased that we had worked for your needs. Again thank you for your comments.