“Worst Staff and Management Ever.”

Wyndham Garden Wichita Downtown
Ranked #22 of 88 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed here for a major event weekend because we heard they were pet friendly. Checked in, got a decent price, put our stuff down and went to the event. When we returned the room was boiling and the AC wasn't working, which it was working fine when we first arrived to drop off our stuff. A call to the front desk at 10pm revealed that they have no maintenance on staff at night. The front desk was no help and basically said, sorry you'll have to deal with it. They refused to move me to a different room without a pricey upgrade, even though rooms were available and this was obviously THEIR fault. Almost left in the middle of the night as the room was about 85 degrees and we obviously could not open a window. I slept in the car half the night. In the morning the front desk was no better. They offered a free breakfast and wouldn't take off any money for the night. I demanded that a manager call me on Monday. They called on Wednesday and said "All our ACs are disabled until summer. Only the fans work." (which is a total lie as it was working and you can't disable the AC but leave the fan functional). When I told her that the AC was working, she said "oh, well it shouldn't have been." In the end they gave me 10 bucks off but refused to do anything else. The manager was curt, and acted put out that she even had to call me. I'll never stay at another Holiday Inn again. Rudest and least professional people ever.

Room Tip: Never use a Holiday Inn
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WacosSon

Reviewed February 5, 2011

Online I booked for a non-smoking room. When I arrived they didnt have my priority packet ready. They the ignorant lady up front placed me in one of their "value rooms" which was code for smoking rooms. I realized this and tried to get them to change, showed her my confirmation showing non-smoking but she had booked up all of them. She said she would refund the charges and I found another Holiday Inn Express clear across town. I later had to hound the, to reverse the charges....incompetent people bother me!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Bullfrog4d
Management response:Responded May 3, 2011

I was disappointed to read your review. I do want all our guests to experience an enjoyable stay and not being able to meet your request for a non smoking room and then to not refund you according to what you were informed definatly isn't the standard I am looking at setting. I do apologize that your experience wasn't what you were hoping for and I do hope that when you do return to Wichita you can see your way to give us another chance to show you that your stay will be a great one.

Reviewed January 22, 2011

I booked three rooms during the Christmas for myself and extended family. We had 11 family members and we all enjoyed the nice clean rooms. Our first night in the hotel we checked in around 3am. The desk agent allowed us to sit in the lobby together and chat. The other staff were always available for anything we needed.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Management response:Responded May 3, 2011

I am glad to see that your enjoyed your stay with us. I was pleased to see that your family had time to enjoy each other and relax. I do look forward to your next visit here in Wichita with us.

Amanda

Reviewed July 24, 2010

Hotel photos on the holidayinn website are out of date, lobby area has some new very comfortable leather furniture. Was in Wichita during a very hot period of the summer, hotel room airconditioner ran almost constantly at the temperature I had selected, but was very noisy, which was very annoying when it switched off every few minutes for about 15 seconds... Over and over again all night. This didnt' really bother me except for when I was trying to watch tv - constant volume adjustments. Amenities were fine. Bathroom towel rack had been broken, but they hadn't bothered to repair - suppose they will wait until it actually fully falls off the wall.

Would recommend if you are staying at a holiday inn class hotel, but its not a marriott or hyatt.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank europa00
Management response:Responded December 3, 2010

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I apologize that you had experienced problems with your air conditioner and maintenence issues on the room. Our goal is to always make the guest stay as comfortable as possible and these issues have been addressed with maintenence so that we can assure that there is no future issues like you experience while staying with us. Again, thank you for your comments and I do apologize for the inconveniences during your stay.

General Manger

Reviewed July 17, 2010

I stayed here on business. The service at the front desk was great! The lobby looked clean and well kept. When we exited the elevator on the 2nd floor, the wall where the window was directly off the elevator was covered in mold. Once in my room I noticed a fairly large mold spot near the window. There was also a whole in the wall where the door opened and hit it over and over. In the bathroom there was an exposed fuse box. The housekeeping did a good job of cleaning the room overall. While I did not swim, overlooking the pool and hottub, they seem to be pretty dirty and in need of a new paint job. The trash cans and ashtrays on the hotel grounds to not get emptied daily and the occasional piece of trash gets left sitting on the ground for at least a couple of days. Overall, it was fine to sleep in, but I would never go for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Management response:Responded December 3, 2010

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I do apologize for the conditions that you had to see while you were here. Those had been addressed as our pool is now closed for the season and looking to do some refurbishing this spring. As for the mold issue that has been repaired and addressed. I am truly sorry for those conditions you witnessed as we do want our appearance to be something your remember as positive. Again I am truly sorry for the conditions and when you do return to Wichita you consider coming again and casee that improvements are important to us as well.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

Near to the Baseball stadium, large sized room, nice and clean. Also has bar at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded December 3, 2010

Thank you for your comments its always a pleasure to hear about how your stay was and I am very pleased that you enjoyed staying with us.

Reviewed May 26, 2010

For a number of years I stopped staying in Holiday Inns for their reputation of poorly maintained properties and bad service. Recently I've stayed in a few more because of location and conferences. I have been pleasantly surprised at the refreshes at many of the properties, but the downtown Wichita Holiday Inn reminded me too much of a classic Holiday Inn (that's not a good thing).

It appears that they attempted a refresh, but it's very apparent that the owners/operators were looking for the cheapest possible options. In my room there were severe wall cracks, rusted vents, an exposed and rusted electrical panel in my bathroom and a poorly plumbed toilet. The carpet and walls were filthy. Throughout the rest of the property there were carpet baseboards that were falling off the walls, wallpaper peeling and dirty floors.

I ate breakfast in the restaurant on site and had to go get a waitress from the kitchen to take my order. She was unkempt and reeked of smoke. I then had to wait for her to bring my check while she, "ran a room service."

I'll be sticking with my Hilton and Marriott family. Sorry Holiday Inn; you had an opportunity but you had a bad one in the bunch and you lost.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business