“A Lucky Pick”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
US
“A Lucky Pick”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Our group was only in Wichita for a couple of days, with no real local restaurant knowledge. We knew Old Town had several restaurants and was near the evening's destination, so that was the first cut. We picked Sabor from three that had pretty good online reviews as the idea of Latin rather than more common cuisines sounded good. Lucky pick. The parking is convenient, with a covered garage right there. The restaurant is simple, clean, and attractive. Then the food. Our platanutres, the plantain chips, were sliced paper thin and served with two garnishes that were great but almost superfluous. The chips were so thin and crisp, and so free of the greasiness that too often comes with "fresh made" chips, that they needed no adornment. We then had the adobo chicken breast, the polenta vegetarian tower, and a carnivorous version of the polenta tower. Our excellent server saw me debating over a pork dish or the polenta, and offered that I could have the polenta with added pork for a slight upcharge. The added pork turned out to be a succulent slab of meat that could have been an entree on its own, sandwiched into the tower. The adobo chicken was equally tasty and the quinoa side would have been worth a trip by itself. Our server knew her menu, was attentive without being intrusive, and didn't bat an eye when we told her we really needed separate checks. 5 stars for her. Oh, and the prices were very reasonable for this quality. Sabor offers something different from the ordinary; this isn't a Mexican restaurant. Different in a very good way.

• Visited June 2013

Caracas, Venezuela
“Different”
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

"Latino" restaurant hosted by American crew. I visited in order to find something different than regular mexican places. This was good, food looks great and taste good, i got "queso with corn" as a starter and was delicious! My main was " hot roasted chicken" also good. Nice atmosphere, modern decoration. The only thing i was in the middle of my lunch, working on my chicken and waitress showed up with my bill....so i finish and have no time to try dessert!!! This always happen in most of american restaurants you have to eat fast because server are fast. Its good definitively i come back.

Visited June 2013
Morristown, New Jersey
“Good Food, High Noise Factor”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My better half and I dined at Sabor Latin Bar and Grill on a Friday night while in Wichita for a recent family reunion. I would rate our experience as better than average for the food, but average overall for the atmostphere. The restaurant is in the heart of revitalized Old Town, a hopping regentrified neighborhood; but parking was easier than I expected because there was a free multi-story parking garage connected to the Old Town Plaza that houses the restaurant. The service was immediate and energetic (thanks, Bradley), despite the presence of a VERY large, noisy rehearsal dinner party who had arrived about an hour before us. Appetizers (the fried calamari with chiptole aioli and the white queso) were tasty, the cocktails were excellent and generously-sized (particularly the margaritas, which arrive in an enormous schooner), and the entrees were very well-prepared. I had the rellenos with shrimp, my better half had the grilled salmon salad with mango dressing; both were quite enjoyable. All in all, the experience was better than I expected. The only downside I'd note is that the place is noisy to the point of truly boisterousness; so if you're looking for a quiet, romantic date-night option, or a place to take your prospective fiancee's family for the first meeting, I might pick another venue. But if you're looking for a place for a gang of folks to meet up for drinks and appetizers before you make a night of it on the town, this would be the place I'd choose.

• Visited May 2013
Auburn, CA
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

It's been many years since I visited Wichita, My memory is of a fairly dismal, downtrodden downtown and old town . What a nice surprise to find this restaraunt , and a vibrant old town.
We were looking for some good food after a long day of travel, and a place to visit with family.
The decor at Sabor is upscale yet light, which is echoed in its menu and bar. We had a delicious mojito, ( Note to bar staff-the second was less tasty, more sweet, and a disappointment, need consistency). Creative takes on traditional dishes along with good service made it a memorable experience.
After dinner, we strolled a bit. I was happy to see lots of folks, young , old, and families, having a good time and enjoying the warm spring air.
All in all, a satisfying experience.

• Visited May 2013
Puerto Rico
“Excellent!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Second visit to Wichita and second visit to Sabor. Excellent location and superb flavors mix.
The food was well prepared and our server was very courteous and prompt.
Try the corn and cheese appetizer and for dessert the churros.
Nice decor and good value, well prepared meal.
Love it !