“Great Service - Average Food”
Review of Bocconcini Italian Eatery - CLOSED

Bocconcini Italian Eatery
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed April 26, 2012

After reading the reviews here and receiving recommendations from others, we decided to give them a try on Tuesday eve.
We were promptly seated, will agree with the other comments that the space is tiny and the tables are small.
I honestly do not understand the rave reviews - at best the food was average. There are much better Italian restaurants in town - we recently tried Ciao and had a lovely experience. We had the Prosciutto & Fig Pizza, the flavors melted together and it was not remarkable. I had the Eggplant Parmesan - it was one slice of eggplant, breaded and burnt. My spouse tried the Pork Saltimbocca and it was overcooked and flavorless as well. We had a glass of house wine, beer, appetizer and two entrees, the bill came to $43.66. Overall would say it is equal to any other fast food Italian restaurant and we do not plan on returning.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

The food here was great. The menu was inventive, with twists on favorites, or simple dishes. The atmosphere is not so great. There are big windows facing Central, so there is a lot of road noise. This building used to house a bakery, so the layout inside is a little tight. A lot of the tables are pretty tiny. The wine list isn't extensive, but the glass I had was really good, so I think they only stock the good stuff! Despite everything, I'd love to come back here and try something new!

Reviewed January 13, 2012

My husband and I tried out this Italian Restaurant tonight and we will certainly go back!! The flavors of our food made our tastebuds come alive! I had the Grilled Chicken Breast served over Garlic Mashed Potatoes. It was very delicious! My husband had the
Spagetti with the Italian Sausage (cant remember the name) and said it was the best he has had. It wasnt smothered in sauce but was so flavor infused that he loved it! The service was great. Fast, efficient, knowledgeable. You never had an empty plate or glass for more than a few seconds. Not the best place for a romantic dinner due to the noise level (people talking) and the tables are small. But the employees moved at a surprising speed that was very efficient yet did not make you feel you were being rushed. I have never seen waitstaff or bussers move that fast! The homemade ice cream was wonderful also. We tried the Cinnamon and the Vanilla. Wonderful flavors, a great topper for a great meal!We enjoyed our meal very much and cannot believe how awesome the flavors were.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Upon arriving after the lunch hour crush, my husband and I were promptly seated at a doll-house sized table. Our waitress appeared immediately. She was attentive, helpful and knowledgeable about the foods and wine.

The shrimp appetizer was tasty but unfortunately something lodged in my throat while eating it and marred the rest of my dining experience. (Later at home, after much probing and some blood letting, the offending object was pried from the back of my tongue and appeared to be a pereiopod dactyl (shrimp leg claw). Ugh! Really – UGH!)

Meanwhile, oblivious as to precisely WHAT was speared into the back of my throat, I selected the cheese ravioli with a light creamy tomato sauce for an entrée and found it quite satisfactory but was puzzled about the tangy quality of the cheese. I offered a taste to my husband who immediately reared back and proclaimed, “That’s GOAT CHEESE!” He detests goat cheese. I do not. I only wish that I had been told it was goat cheese, because I was expecting the usual ricotta/parmesan blend. While the dish was acceptable, the menu failed to provide adequate details about the dish.

A side note: everything was extremely salty, and for me, the Queen of Salt, to find the salinity level objectionably, it had to be off the charts.

The wine experience was perhaps the most redeeming facet of the meal. When we learned that the rose wine we had requested was out of stock, the waitress suggested a Librandi rose wine. We liked it so much that we have since purchased more for sipping in our home. It is a nice wine to share with guests who are unfamiliar with reds but willing to conduct a daring experiment beyond their white-zin-in-a-box comfort zone.

Atmosphere: Located in a less the attractive section of the city, situated rudely right on the street, Toubia may have been wiser to board the windows, at least part way, during the transformation from Sugar Sisters to Bocconcini. Flat walls decorated with some tasteful yet simple art would create a more sophisticated ambiance than cars rumbling past one’s elbow. Tables are far, far too small. The noise level approaches cacophonous.

Had it not been for the shrimp claw ordeal, I may have been tempted to return, but given that matter, I simply can not walk back through the doors of Bocconcini

2  Thank Anne M
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Everything here was excellent. We were a group of 7 and they had a tough time accomodating the group because they had to pull tables together and it was busy, but we were seated in 30 minutes, which was great considering the crowd. We started with several of the appetizers to share and all were great, and good sizes to split. The toasted ravioli were good and the prosciutto & fig pizza was excellent, thin crust and a great flavor.
For dinner we had a wide variety of selections so we all got to try just about everything. The pesto penne shrimp was a subtle pesto and the shrimp were all large. the pork saltimbocca was very tender, although just a little too salty. Even the traditional spaghetti was an excellent take on this old classic. I would definitely recommend giving this place a try.