“Nice lobby”

Ranked #54 of 86 Hotels in Wichita
Junction City, Kansas
“Nice lobby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

The best I can say about this hotel is that the lobby is big and attractive. The rooms look like they haven't been re-decorated since 1950 and they are a mismatch of old furniture. We arrived late at night and there was no heat on in the room - took about 3 hours for the room to warm up and it was very cold that night. The pool is very small and the breakfast was so-so and no one made themselves available to clean the tables.
Definitely wasn't a suite experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
KansasCIty
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

We got a suite, there was a lot of room. Kids enjoyed the pool area (small but they enjoyed it) We stayed in the Fall and the outdoor part of the pool was closed. Comfortable beds and clean rooms. Great breakfast!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank HowitzerWife
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

Have stayed at this hotel before. Nice, big rooms with high ceilings give a nice open feeling for the rooms. The hotel has been around a while but it appears to be well maintained and rooms are always clean. The breakfast bar in the morning is great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank condobob
wmcgreg, General Manager at Northrock Suites, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thanks so much for the positive review. Many guests compliment us on the big spacious rooms, as well as the breakfast. We look forward to seeing you again!
Concordia, Kansas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

We called the hotel she said they had no rooms available. So i booked it online for a 2 room suite. The price seemed fair and the pictures make the hotel look great and friendly. WRONG- I called back to the hotel after booking and asked do you have any rooms available? The girl says yes we do. WOW this all happened in less than 10 minutes. So I tell her I would like to verifry my rooms and she tells me that she cant do that because it takes 6 hours to come across her computer from Expedia. I said ok we will see you shortly. Should have not even went too many signs it was going to be bad. So the girl can barely get up from the computer to help us and is so rude. She checks us in. We have 3 ppl staying we go to our room and it is one room with a king size bed. WOW again so we go back and tell her what our reservation is and she has to see the email. She then moves us (now keep in mind they have no rooms) 2 room suite. The door to the 2nd room is locked and we cant get in because someone has locked both doors to the adjoining. WOW again she says she will move us once again. We said we will just pick the lock she says ok and never offers a key because only housekeeping has the keys. So the bathroom exhaust is so loud you cant turn it on, The TV remotes 2 out of 3 do not have batteries, the lights in the room on the wall are burnt out. Not to be too pessimistic the room was actually very clean, and breakfast was very tasty. But they do need friendlier front desk people because all 3 women seem to be very bitter and dont care about customers. Maybe they should have some training, or maybe they should not have a computer to play on. Just saying....... Will never recommend this place to anyone. Oh yea and the door doesnt completely shut.

Room Tip: Dont stay here unfriendly staff. There actually a man who did speak and was friendly but the women...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeannie S
I apologize for your bad experience at our hotel. We are addressing shortcomings with the front desk staff, and we do have ongoing training that address good customer service at all times. Please be assured that this particular situation is being dealt with accordingly.

Travelers are raving about these Wichita hotels

kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

You have no idea how frustrated I am with this hotel at this point.

We booked this hotel for 2 nights for my sister and mother to be close to my father during his surgery and recovery. Thing ended up changing even before we checked in that we were not going to need the 2nd night.. At check-in my sister told them we needed to cancel the 2nd night, but said we had to call an 800 cancel (what hotel can't cancel at the desk). So I called the 800 number and they said they need to talk to the hotel.... but no one answers the phone at the hotel property. Off and on through last night I tried contact through the 800 to cancel, but no answer at the hotel. I even had my sister walk to the front desk with her cell phone while I was on the phone with the 800, we found out the COX was down, none of the guest had Internet or phone service the entire time (and still don't this morning). The lady at the front desk wouldn't help AT ALL. All she would say was is they have to call us and wouldn't talk on the cell phone (I guess she thought the cell phone was a ticking bomb) she did say about 3 times, "It's not my fault if your credit card is charged" which makes me even more mad.

It's now nearly 9 am the next day and we still can't get our room canceled and now they say we are already charged for the second night (the one we've been trying to cancel senses 5:30 yesterday.)

A few things to know with this place,
1) The cancellation policy is 24 hours in advance. Meaning you have to cancel before 6pm the day before you arrive. This is a budget, cut rate at best hotel, not Disney World..... 24 hours really?
2) The staff is less than helpful.
3) It's cheap, not only in the price.

If anything is salvaged by this cluster mess I'll up date the review....

Room Tip: no good suggestions
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
I apologize for the problems you had with cancelling your reservation. Your issue was made worse because our internet & phone service was down for one whole day..(with nothing we could do in the meantime.) Please know that it is not the hotel policy to charge for reservation cancellations, or even for no shows. But when a guest books and pays for their reservation online, they most typically need to go back to the online booking site to change or cancel their reservation, and to get a refund back for their reservation. This usually also involves the online booking site calling the hotel to verify the hotel is not planning on charging the online site for the night stay, and then they will refund the customer.
I know our staff could have handled your situation better, and we are training the front desk staff to be more knowlegable and aware when these online issues come up.
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here from 8/3 to 8/7 while visiting family in Wichita. Northrock Suites was a great value for the price ($62/night via booking.com). Just a few (admittedly nitpicky) things kept me from giving it a full 5 stars. I'd give it 4 and a half if I could!

Location: just off hwy 96 in the northeast part of town. Lots of shopping, restaurants, gas stations, etc. nearby. Wichita is an easy town to get around in, so even things on the opposite side of the city are no more than 20 minutes or so away via the freeways.

Public spaces: Unique indoor/outdoor swimming pool. The deep end was outside and it actually got to six feet. Hot tub (indoors) was pretty small. It was a very nice place to spend an afternoon with our relatives & the kids, especially in the 100 degree heat!

The lobby/breakfast area was airy and inviting. They had a hot breakfast buffet every morning consisting of scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, bacon and/or sausage, biscutis & gravy, several cold cereal choices, toast and either pancakes or french toast, depending on the day. Definitely one of the best "free" breakfasts I've had in a hotel in this price range (not quite as good as say, an Embassy Suites with cooked-to-order options, but again, that's a different level of service.) A few downsides: not many healthy choices. We weren't being too calorie conscious on this trip, but some fresh fruit and/or yogurt choices would be nice for those who are. I was also a bit annoyed that with all the great food options, they only had cheap-o powdered creamer packets available for the coffee?? Would have also been nice if coffee was available 24/7. They pulled the plug on the coffee machine after breakfast hours.

The one elevator serving the 4 floors was a bit slow at times. (It did have a glass wall, which was a nice touch.) We were on the 2nd floor and didn't mind taking the stairs, but you had to go to one of the opposite sides of the building to do so.

Room: we had a standard king on the second floor near the elevator. Very spacious, probably about the size of two "standard" size hotel rooms. Our room had a fridge/microwave, desk and a sitting area with two comfy chairs and a coffee table. Wall mounted flatscreen TV with a good cable selection and a very comfortable bed. Bathroom was also more spacious than average and was situated in such a way that it was next to the bed and provided some insulation from the entryway, which made for a very quiet's night sleep. Very nice layout overall and pleasant, modern decor. Oh, and I was also quite impressed with the air conditioner...it was 100+ degrees outside every day during our stay and we actually had to turn the A/C down a few times because the room was chilly!

Minor annoyances: really cheap "hotello" brand shampoo...something you'd expect to find at a motel six. NO conditioner or lotion. This was surprising considering how nice the room was. They were also a bit chintzy on the towels. Exactly one set of towels/washcloths for each of us. Would have been nice to have at least one extra set, especially when you're taking an extra shower after swimming, etc.

Service: Everyone we encountered was friendly and pleasant. Overall, the hotel was kept clean, except for one evening over the weekend when there were a bunch of kids/teenagers in the hotel (some sort of basketball thing.) They had left some pool towels and trash laying around some of the public spaces and I don't think it was cleaned up until the next morning. Not a huge deal, but noticeable.

Overall: I was impressed, especially for the price, and would most definitely stay again. It would be 5 stars in my book if they addressed some of the minor issues I mentioned above.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank midnitebreeze
Thank you for your positive review! We are constantly trying to find ways to upgrade the hotel and make the guest experience as great as possible. I would love to expand our breakfast buffett to include additional healthy items, but as you mentioned, with our value pricing, we can only offer so many options on a free breakfast, which many guests find to be an excellent value given the price they paid. Please know that we are always looking for new and improved items for our breakfast buffett.
Also, the coffee machine should be available 24 hours. I'm not sure what the issue was on your stay, but the coffee is alway supposed to be on.
I apologize for the slow elevator. When we are busy, as during the morning breakfast, the elevaotr can be slow when handling guests from all 4 floors. There is no really good solution to this problem without replacing the whole elevator!
We have upgraded our bathroom amenities to the Desert Rain Collection, which includes lotion and a conditioning shampoo. The 'Hotello' brand was a temporary 'fix' when we were backordered on our regular bathroom supplies.
Thanks again for staying with us and we look foward to seeing you again!
Independence, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

This hotel will do in a pinch or if you're on a budget, but I just thought it was cruddy. The type of hotel that makes me want to bring my own blankets, etc. There was a big tile missing in the bathroom ceiling, which was kinda creepy. Also I saw a bug crawling across the lobby. Hopefully it was something seasonal that just crept in from outside, and not a permanent resident of the hotel. Again, it will do, but I just went back to Wichita this past weekend and stayed someplace much better at a comparable rate.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family