“Clean & New Decor”
Review of Wichita Inn West

Wichita Inn West
Ranked #40 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Close to the airport. Great rate. Clean with new, albeit eightieseque, decor. We used the shuttle service from the airport. The staff was helpful. We ordered Chinese from next door with a menu that the front desk had on hand. Not much of a breakfast but was ok for the rate we paid. The shuttle driver mentioned something about leaving your vehicle there while you flew out. That would be a cost savings in and of itself.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Wichita Inn West

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The rooms are always clean and everything works. The staff is friendly and helpful. Every time we are there it seems there is something new; they are constantly updating and improving. And the staff is very security conscious, too, but never intrusive. My only suggestion for improvement would be to move the breakfast away from its emphasis on sugary foods but judging by the way they disappear that seems to be a minority opinion.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Very clean, price is right and the staff is great. Will be staying there when I go back. The rooms are very large and very nice. Breakfast is very nice for the price you are paying. Check out was very fast.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Cheryl W
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at the Wichita Inn West three separate times in July 2012 for a business trip. My company booked the hotel for me, using their corporate credit card. However, every time I checked in I was required to make a $50 deposit to cover "incidentals." Now, I travel a lot and understand that many hotels often want a person's credit card information to protect against destruction of hotel property, room charges, etc. However, these hotels usually do not actually charge the card unless they need to. Wichita Inn West charged my card every single time - then refunded the charge five days later. I found this very annoying and somewhat insulting - not to sound pompous or anything, but why should I have to pay upfront for something I "might" do? Further, the first night I stayed here the desk clerk was very rude when I checked in. She kept telling me (very sharply) she could not find my reservation. Finally, after I kept insisting that my company had confirmed my reservation, she decided to check in her computer. She actually said, "Well, I'll check in my computer." Well guess what - she found my reservation in her computer - which is where I thought most of that kind of information is usually kept in the first place, so why she made such a big deal over it is a mystery to me. After she finally determined that I was indeed a paying customer, she asked if I wanted a smoking or non-smoking room. I requested a non-smoking room, to which she replied rudely, "Well, if you smoke in it they'll charge another $250 to your card." Now why would I ask for a non-smoking room if I wanted to smoke? I said, "No problem - I don't smoke." Then she said, "Well if you do it's gonna cost you $250." By this time I was really getting annoyed with this woman, but I was trying to be nice so I could just get my room key and go. So I said, "I already told you I don't smoke. If I did, I would have asked for a smoking room." She said, "Well I'm just telling you." UGH!
What she didn't tell me was anything about the workout room or the free breakfast that is offered every morning. In fact, there was a different person working the desk each of the three times I checked in, and NONE of them mentioned any of the free amenities. I did not eat the breakfast, so I cannot comment about what it consists of or the quality. The workout room is very tiny and only has two machines and a couple of weights in it.
The rooms, however, are very clean, and come equipped with a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board. Once I got past the lest than stellar customer service, the rooms were very satisfactory. However, customer service is a biggie for me, which is why this hotel only gets an average rating from me. Plus I do not like the upfront $50 charge. I traveled weekly this summer, and no other hotel ever charged me upfront like that for something that had not (and never did) happen.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank LMarie99
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is very clean and the rooms are inviting. However, the mattresses are extremely hard. Keep that in mind if you like a softer mattress. Breakfast is the usual offered at an economy hotel. Only hot item is biscuits and gravy. The desk staff was not friendly. The morning clerk acted like it was an imposition to wait on guests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank jazzKansas
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel is perfect if you need to catch a flight from the Inter-Continental Airport in Wichita. The cleanliness can't be beat. It's quiet and within walking distance of a couple of fastfood places. You are within minutes of the airport. Plus, it's inexpensive!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank myzygy
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've been traveling to Wichita for various tax seminars and board of director meetings since 1988. Wichita Inn West makes every effort to work with me so that I get a ground floor room whenever I'm in town. The rooms are always clean and inviting, and the heating/cooling systems can be adjusted to my preference. They also have an indoor gym with three pieces of equipment and a television. And their free breakfast is also wonderful (biscuits and gravy, donuts, cereal, etc), and runs frum 6 am until 9 am. The check-in and check-out personnel are quick and friendly. I highly recommend this hotel for any type of stay.

Room Tip: I prefer 1st floor rooms, they are quiet and easy to get to