“VERY NICE”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Wichita Downtown
Ranked #17 of 88 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very clean and fairly new. Good location. Good breakfast, but I agree, a little tiresome after several days. Would love to see biscuits and gravy added. Front desk very courteous, friendly and helpful, especially Scott who took extra time finding restaurants for me. They have a large book of menus that I would like to see out on display. When looking for hotels, I always check reviews on the beds. Everyone loved the beds here - I did not. With arthritis I need a very fluffy bed. These were just too firm for me. The Marriott beds are perfect and these were not. The labels were Beautyrest. Puzzling why some rooms have minifridges and some do not. Be sure to ask. They do have a few you can request.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ARSANDI

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The hotel itself is new & well appointed. The beds were especially comfortable to a traveler who had just been on the road 23 hours. It's also in a decent area as well. However, the only caveat is the parking situation & attitude of some of the front desk personnel. Okay, so the parking. The parking is not connected to the hotel at all and there is not convenient dedicated parking for hotel guests. But, then again, it is a downtown area and the parking was free. To top it off, the price of the hotel was a great deal.
In fact, the breakfast was great and there is an outside seating area open all hours that is amazing. We had breakfast out there and also sat out there at night by the outdoor fireplace they have. Then to our surprise, there was a fabulous fireworks display that was right at the hotel. So really, though the parking was a little inconvenient, all else was perfect. The only reason I gave the rating of 4 out of 5 is the attitude of the front desk person. The gentleman was very rude and I will admit we were a bit disheveled from being in a car 23 hours, that was no reason for the manner in which he addressed us.
Another big plus for the rooms would be to have a refrigerator and microwave.
The hotel is located right in the heart of everything and so everything we wanted to do was right there, literally a one minute drive. There was a park right behind the hotel with concerts, a ball park that had amazing fireworks at night which were easily viewed from our hotel room, you name it and it was there or very easy to find.
Incidentally, if you go there, try the Pig In Pig Out barbeque---right around the corner and it was amazing. I reviewed them as well.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window that faces the ballpark!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jane29556
TadStricker, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Wichita Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Jane:

First of all, you are absolutely correct about Pig In Pig Out BBQ. If in Wichita, that is a staple to Kansas culture that one MUST experience!

Furthermore, thank you for the review about the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott - Wichita Downtown. I was thrilled to hear that our location was convenient for all your activities downtown and throughout the city. The breakfast and outdoor patio space are indeed two of our attractions here. As mentioned, the firepit, patio, and Fireside Lounge are all great ways to relax, experience the Waterwalk area, and take in the scenery. Thank you for sharing that perspective so eloquently.

I was shocked to hear your feedback regarding the front desk associate upon your arrival. This experience is not typical, nor what our loyal guests have come to expect. I would like to hear more about this experience, so that I can fully understand and take appropriate steps to correct. If you would, please reach out to me via a message or phone call, I would greatly appreciate it.

As mentioned, our parking garage is located directly next to the hotel - and best of all it's FREE! This free garage is provided by our hotel, and located within our Waterwalk building. As others have mentioned, the convenient elevator is accessible to any of the spaces between the 2nd and 5th floors. The 5th floor is reserved solely for hotel guests, while the other floors are open to the public, hotel guests, and condo owners.

I'm so glad to hear that overall your "experience" in Wichita was a great one. I'm glad that you got to experience the ballpark, fireworks, and our famous Midwest BBQ.

I look forward to visiting with you soon, and welcoming you back to the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott - Wichita Downtown.

Take care,

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed here 15th days for work. The rooms are great (i stayed in three differents). Great furniture, nice bed/pillows, very clean, friendly staff, great location for walking to/from bussiness district downtown. Only thing to note if you plan on staying for more than a week: request a refrigerator and have your own breakfast (or eat out). I was 15th days and breakfast always the same: turkey sausage, scrambles eggs every single day!! I requested refrigerator and had it right away. Parking is located @ building next to hotel so you have to walk and take elevator to 5th floor to park your vehicle, its ok...no big deal. I recommended this hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Mr. Sarz -

Thank you for the review on your recent "experience" at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott - Wichita Downtown. I am so glad that overall you enjoyed your extended stay with us. As noted, we do have suites that include a small kitchenette area, complete with a microwave and refrigerator. As you indicated, these suites work great for longer stays.

As you mentioned, the parking garage located immediately next door is complimentary - and very convenient with elevator access. As stated - the 5th floor parking is reserved for hotel guests only, and guaranteed to be available even during special events. The 2nd through 4th floors are public parking, and also available for use as well.

I'm so glad that you had a great and successful business trip, and I'm thrilled that we were able to be a part of it.

Please let me know if you're travel plans include Wichita in the future. Take care.

Regards,

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here with 5 kids aged 5 to 16yrs while attending a Family Conference in the nearby Century 2 Center which was about a 3 block walk. Nice new property with enough room for a family in a Suite room. Reasonably quiet even though the hotel was full with families and sports teams. Breakfast was adequate, hot and cold items, just the same each day which could get a little boring if you stayed more than a few days. The cook on the spot waffles were a nice treat. No free drinks in the afternoon like other suite hotels offer, but the bar had daily specials and the outdoor fire pit and patio was welcoming. The indoor pool was a little cool and unfortunately there is no hot tub. Parking is free and next door. The surrounding area appears to be undergoing urban renewal and hopefully in a few years there will be a selection of bars and resturants to choose from. The hotel staff was very helpful and seemed well trained in the art of providing service to guests. Overall, a good location and good value for a family stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review regarding our hotel! It is always great to hear personal feedback from to let us know our Fairfield Inn & Suites from a guest's viewpoint. As you mentioned, our new hotel is conveniently located in downtown, close to facilities such as Century II and the Intrust Bank Arena. Additionally, many of our loyal guests have come to expect the consistent and friendly service you experienced with our complimentary hot breakfast.

I am so excited that you chose to join us at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott - Wichita Downtown. I look forward to welcoming you back on your return visits in the future.

Please feel free to reach out directly to me, if I may ever be of assistance. Take care!

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Overall the Fairfield in downtown Wichita was a pretty good hotel for the price. This Fairfield is maybe a year or two old so this one undoubtably trumps many of the other Fairfields.

With this new Fairfield comes a cheery, vibrant lobby which carried onto the employees who were all top notch. I did not encounter even an average employee. Even the maintenance staff were great. Two nights in a row the one person at the desk was busy so a maintenance person came up to see if he could assist us in anyway. Sure enough right when we asked him where to eat, he delivered. Same went for the second time when we were looking for a good restaurant. The staff were by far the highlight of the hotel for me.

As for the room, I had a king suite. The cheery color scheme continued into the room, but not in an obnoxious way. For a suite, I did find the room a tad small. There were two TVs which was nice, but it was unrealistic to use both at once as it would become tough to really hone in on the sound on one TV. This is when I really wish hotels would stick with real suites with two true rooms, not just a partial wall to divide the space. There was also an odd smell in the room that bugged me. Maybe due to the newer carpet or something new which did not work for me. I also seemed to be allergic to something in the room as I would not stop sneezing when I was in the room. Just a side note in case someone really does have bad allergies. Otherwise overall the room was clean, bathroom included, with no other complaints.

Another nice touch that made this a nicer Fairfield was all the extra common space. There was a bar, a couple computers, ample seating areas, and a really nice outdoor area with a fire pit and multiple seating areas.

As for the complimentary breakfast, it seemed to be the typical. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Also the parking, like others have mentioned, is detached from the building so its not ideal in a downpour. I experienced getting soaked first hand. Really I am surprised they haven't just put some cover over the walkway as it really is not a long, or wide path.

This Fairfield is by far the best Fairfield I have ever stayed at. It is clear that the hotel goes the extra mile to make for an above average experience. The location is nice, and the price is hard to beat. However I have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in downtown Wichita, and for a bit higher price you can get a huge suite and what I saw as the better location for restaurants and nightlife. Definitely look into the Courtyard before making your decision. Either way its tough to go wrong.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a great location in this city, right near ball park and center of city and also approximate to airport.
Bar Service in the evening is really good.
Looks like a new facility.
Get a room on the outside facing side so you have some view.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've really only had to take two trips to Kansas, but both were in *exceptionally* clean hotels. This is one of them. This is a quick 10 min drive from the airport. Parking is in a deck 'next door' to the hotel so you do have to walk outside just a bit after parking.

The room was very clean, the bed comfortable, pillows fluffy. The only 'downside' to the room in my opinion was that the towels were rather thin. Noticeably thin, not terribly thin.

The breakfast was continental with cereals, milk, juice coffee AND some hot stuff - oatmeal, bacon, and scrambled eggs.

The staff was VERY nice and helpful, even the poor lady who was working after midnight when I checked in. I heard NOTHING from the hallway or the street during my sleep - the hotel is quiet.

There was a bar in this hotel that seemed very nice but I didn't have time to make any use of it.

All in all, this is a very fine hotel for business or family travel. I would recommend it to you and would stay here again if I were in Wichita.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
TadStricker, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Wichita Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Todd-

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott - Wichita Downtown. I am absolutely thrilled that you were THRILLED with your experience, while staying as our guest. I will certainly share your kind comments regarding the STAFF. As you mentioned, our amazing team members are what make the difference.

Please retain my contact information, and let me know if I may be of further assistance personally. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, should your travel plans include Wichita.

Take care!