“Could be perfect with a few improvements”

Staybridge Suites Wichita
Ranked #20 of 88 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We recently spent 5 days at this hotel and there were many positives which I'm happy to share with other travellers. Unfortunately there were some negatives which I have indicated to hotel management as they stopped me from rating the hotel as 5 stars.

The positives -

Location was excellent, easy to find and whilst close to major roads it was free from traffic noise
Pool area was outdoor which given 90degree temperatures was most welcome rather than being cooped up indoors
Good fitness room
Laundry facilities which were free use(only charge for laundry products)
Managers reception (Tues-Thurs) was great, burgers and hot dogs one evening, pasta and salad the next. Definitely sufficient for an evening meal with free beer and wine.
Reception staff and staff at managers reception were friendly and organised
Room was a nice layout and spacious

The negatives

Room allocated was not as reserved - I have never stayed in a Staybridge suites and received the room I reserved so in future I will be selecting the cheapest option as chances are they will suit themselves anyway
Housekeeping failed to show on day 3 of our stay and were insistent the "do not disturb" sign had been displayed. Absolutely untrue and a simple admission they had missed it would have been preferred to a wholly false accusation
On returning to our room after housekeeping had left on day 4 we noted the alarm clock had been moved back by an hour - I have no idea how this happened however had we not noticed it until the next morning there could have been an impact on our plans.
Breakfast staff were surly and unfriendly. They were also disorganised and unable to cope with any volume of guests at all. Items ran out and were not replenished and tables were not wiped down as they should have been.

One final point which I must draw attention to was that our rate was an "advance purchase rate" paid some time before our stay. On checkout we received an invoice which stated that we had a credit balance of $16. Upon querying this I was told there had been an overpayment however as I had benefitted from an advance purchase rate this could not be refunded. I find it insulting that guests are told "you've overpaid but we are keeping the money". If the policy is not to refund these I see no reason why it should be brought to guests attention in the first place. As I said, I find this insulting.

I see no reason why this hotel shouldn't be able to achieve 5 stars with a little work on some of the staff and their attitude. I've indicated I would recommend to a friend however I would certainly make them aware of the potential shortcomings they may experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 4, 2010

We would return if visiting Wichita. That could happen this weekend if our team plays again, requiring an overnight stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Having stayed there, almost since it's opening, on a several tiems a month frequency, I can attest to the friendliness and caring of the staff. They always go out of ther normal to take care of needs and assure that youo are happy and comfortable. The evening social hour is great and the food never fails to satisfy. In my opinion, the se add up to make it the best place in the area to stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Staybridge Suites, a new hotel that is sparkling clean and easy to find on the northeast side of Wichita, is a great place to stay either overnight or for a weekend or longer. The galley kitchen is well outfitted and the adjacent sitting room has a table top desk, chair and comfortable couch facing a large screen TV. The bedroom features a king bed and another TV with adjacent bathroom that is bigger than some hotel rooms. Towels are soft and generously sized. Your room rate includes a hot breakfast featuring such items as pancakes, waffles, bacon and eggs. A small store adjacent to the front desk sells food items for those who wish to cook their suppers. Cannot say enough good things about this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2010

I recently relocated from Killeen, TX to Wichita, KS on June 20, 2010. I've been staying at Staybridge Suites during my transition and I must give a "Star Award" to the staff at Staybridge Suites, in particular Alesha, and Melissa. Whether I am coming or going I am greeted with a friendly smile. They really care about their occupants and they have gone the extra mile for me on more than one occasion, whether it was giving me directions somewhere, asking me how I am doing or just dealing with my reservations. The rooms are very accommodating. Staybridge is like home away from home. I really appreciate the hot breakfast buffet that we are served 7 days a week. The sundowner specials are a nice treat as well. I would recommend staying at Staybridge for all of your travel needs. I'm really going to miss this place when I finally move into my new home next month. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We have a sound machine to block out noise when we sleep,we take it wherever we go when we travel, this did not help in this case.This room had an air conditioner unit which was enclosed in a small closet in our room,it hummed so loud we had to turn it off and did not sleep well. We could also hear someone or several people walking over our room and was very disturbing to our sleep.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank drw2112
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Staybridge Suites is an excellent value! The room was spotless with a separate kitchen area away from the bedroom -- very convenient. It was extremely quiet, even at the pool (secluded from any traffic). The "happy hour" includes great food, breakfast was excellent too, all service & staff are outstanding!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends