“Recommended by a local”

Add it.
Dempsey's Burger Pub
Ranked #697 of 1,106 Restaurants in Wichita
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stopped here on a trip to KC from Oklahoma. A friend that lives in Wichita recommends. Came by at 11 so had early lunch. First people in the place that day. Staff super friendly and eager to serve. Hamburgers were great and all the sauces with fries were yummy. Just didn’t like the music being played so very loud so early in day and for not being busy. Hard to talk to my spouse. But we find this is the norm anymore. Hard to find a quiet place. Everyone now plays music so freakin loud all they time. Besides that it’s a good place to eat. If lives by one I would go back but probably wouldn’t go back if traveling through.

Reviewed March 26, 2018

March 22, 2018 9:30pm My family and I stopped in for a late evening dinner. We called ahead to make sure it was child friendly and were assured it was. (after 10pm it is strictly a bar and not for under 21 year olds) We asked for the quietest table possible and were ushered into the back corner of the dining room. We were given a menu and we began to look it over. Note that the yelp and web menus were different and the foods listed on those menus were not all available anymore. The establishment should get this corrected. We decided to try a few things out so we ordered 12 wings, 2 ways (Roasted garlic-mild buffalo wings and grilled pineapple-medium buffalo wing flavors), the up-down burger medium rare, bacon mushroom swiss burger medium rare with a fried egg added on it, and a salmon burger. We also added truffle fries and duck fat fries. These sounded great and are different from what you normally expect with a burger. Our order was topped off with a couple iced teas and a pop. The service was slow at best. The waitress whether from inexperience or from lack of motivation did not pay much attention to us. I never received a refill for my tea even once the entire visit, and it took a very long time for my son to get a glass of water when he asked for it after he finished his soda. On to the food. The wings came out first. They 2 baskets of 6 wings looked the same. There was 2 pieces of celery in each basket and maybe 3 pieces of carrots in each as well. There was watered down ranch dressing brought out as we had asked, because they did not have any blue cheese dressing. We tried wings from both baskets and they tasted the same. There was no garlic flavor or grilled pineapple flavor in either of the wings order and they were both spicy like a medium spiced hot wing. Nothing special here, and far less than stellar. You would do far better to go to Wingstop if you want better tasting wings with flavor and decent amounts of celery and carrots with ranch or even blue cheese. Our order came out next. The salmon burger my son ordered looked decent enough and was not bad. It was not overly dry, and not overly flavorful either, but it was nothing to write home about. My husband's up-down burger (and we are still trying to guess as to why it is called that) was over cooked at medium to medium well. It had no seasoning to mention and not even salt that we could taste, so it was basically a slab of ground beef on a pretzel looking bun. Now for the kicker. My burger arrived and it was also over cooked at medium, and with no salt. That was not the worst part. The top pretzel bun which had obviously been grilled on the griddle, was burnt all around the edges, burnt black. It was hard as well. After discarding the bun to another plate, I looked at the egg which was overcooked. The yolk was hard. I grabbed the egg to flip it over and it was burnt black on the bottom as well. Completely burnt. I then picked up the burger on the bottom bun and discovered that the bottom bun was completely soggy and soaked in greasy oil. I promptly discarded that as well. I finally resolved to eat the burger alone with the cheese and mushrooms on top. The truffle fries were the only part of the meal that was a surprise and they were very tasty. More so than other truffle fries we have tried in may other locations. The dipping sauces they brought us (and there were a few to try) were lack luster having very little flavor and differentiation to note. 2 were orange and tasted the same, one was supposed to be a garlic aioli and tasted only like mayo, and there was only one white truffle dipping sauce that tasted worthy of eating. The duck fat fries were another disappointment all together. They had no flavor at all. They could have been fried in pig fat for all it mattered. They supposedly are tossed with duck fat after frying but that seems like a waste of time if it isn't going to impart any flavor. I would not waste my $7 on these if I were you. In fact, there are far better places to get a burger anywhere in Wichita than this pub. I would find one of those places and go there. At the very end of the meal, the server came up and finally asked if there was anything else we wanted. I showed her the egg, bun, etc., and she just handed me the bill and asked if we wanted a box. Clueless. Kind of like a drone. She never offered to make it right or to have a manager come and explain the horrible food, nothing. Void. She should find another line of work. That is all I can say. I will note, that the kitchen closes at 10pm in the evening, and though we were assured when we called that we could have dinner, clearly the kitchen does not value its customer and cares nothing about sending out bad food.

Reviewed March 18, 2018

Highly recommend the blue cheese burger (cooked rare to medium rare) with truffle fries...absolutely delicious. This place recently took over the "dueling piano bar" space.