“Follow the Yellow Brick Road” 4 of 5 bubbles

Oz Museum
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Wamego
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum houses one of the largest private collections of Oz memorabilia in the world.
Springfield, Missouri
246 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 669 helpful votes
“Follow the Yellow Brick Road”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

On our way from Springfield, Missouri to Rocky Mountain National Park, we happened upon the small town of Wamego, Kansas, home of the Oz Museum. Since we grew up watching "The Wizard of Oz" on TV, as did our children and grandchildren, we just had to stop and see it.

There is a small charge to walk through the museum, but it is well worth it to fans of the Frank Baum books. The museum houses a nice collection of "Oz" memorabilia and life-sized scenes from the movie. There is also a small gift shop and restrooms. I'll let my photos tell the rest of the story.

2 Thank Sailorsgirl

Ann Arbor, Michigan
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Every vacation needs something quirky.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We filled our road trip with a lot of educational museums and moving memorials. This was a great balance to all that. It's a small museum with all things Oz. It consists of a lot of "window displays," but if you like the Wizard of Oz you'll find it, at the least, interesting. If you're a huge fan, you won't want to miss this. A fun thing was to print off the scavenger hunt from the website. (I don't know if they have copies there.) It got us to look at the displays more in depth than we would have. Plan on having lunch two doors down at Toto's Tacoz. It was great food in the perfect environment.

Saint Robert, Missouri
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

When I first googled the Oz Museum I thought it would be in a big building I was shocked to see it was in a little downtown section. I thought oh great this is going to be dinky. When we got inside it was totally not what I expected. They had a ton of exhibits and great items used in the movie & plays. My husband & I had a great time. The gift shop is very nice, took us about 45 minutes to go through the whole museum,

Visited October 2010
northeast Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Nicer than expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

It isn't unusual to see billboards proclaiming a tourist attraction only to find it wasn't worth the stop. Traveling to visit family in Wamego, Kansas we decided to stop at the Oz Museum in downtown Wamego, Kansas. We were pleasantly surprised! The museum is loaded with Oz memorabilia and is very nicely done. If you are a fan of the Wizard
of Oz movie this is a must see. If you enjoyed the movie, but aren't a huge fan, the
museum is still a great stop!

2 Thank Nautical70
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Everything you would expect.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

Pretty hilarious. Driving across the country we are trying to see as many kitchy American tourist traps as possible. This museum was small, cute, and just enough of a detour. I am glad we made the stop.

Been to Oz Museum? Share your experiences!