“Great Hotel for Business Travelers”

Courtyard Kansas City Shawnee
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shawnee
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Hotel for Business Travelers”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Courtyard has done a very good job of catering to business travelers, and this property in Shawnee, KS is no different. The hotel was comfortable and clean. I had no issues throughout the duration of my stay.

I really like the spacious lobby and plenty of comfortable seats and tables. This makes the perfect location if you need an impromptu meeting with your business colleagues. I took advantage of the space for an hour and a half meeting- it helped us to be productive while comfortable.

The room was clean and there was plenty of space. The shower was slightly cleaner than most hotels I stay in. I had zero issues with the room.

Courtyard does offer a fairly good breakfast at their little restaurant in the lobby. The staff here were very friendly and the food came quickly. It was hot and very good. They serve Starbucks coffee.

If you've stayed at a Courtyard before, then you can expect the exact same experience and level of service here. This hotel made my business trip easy and more comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
tdmksg
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Overall this is a very nice hotel. Stayed here for one night during KU relays in Lawrence. Stayed at the end of the hallway on the third floor, so noice was not an issue. Room was good size and appears clean at first glance. When looking a bit deeper, there was something splattered on the hair dryer, bed skirt and bathroom vent was very dusty. Towels, sheets and other items seemed clean. Front desk check in was adverage. I am unsure about price because stayed on rewards points. Would stay here again if in the area.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Chose this locations to stay close to friends, as my husband and I are traveling across the country. Beautiful facility. After two nights of listening to kids being obnoxiously loud and running the halls, we called the front desk at 6:00 this morning and complained about the noise, to be told by Michael, "We've had a power outage." We knew that. We had been awakened a half an hour before the outage at 5:30 by the very intrusive noises. There were other guests trying to sleep at all hours of the night, whether this unruly bunch wanted to or not, we, paying a premium price should have had comfort of being able to sleep. It was if the employees were catering to a bunch of "entitled kids."

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank threads2falls2
Ryan C, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Shawnee, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Courtyard Kansas City Shawnee with us. We apologize for your disappointing stay.

Your observations are very helpful in our pursuit of guest satisfaction. Marriott strives to be a leader in customer service, and comments from guests such as yourself allow us to make improvements. We have forwarded your comments to the hotel's Executive Office for review.

We value your loyalty as a Marriott guest. Please accept our sincere apologies for this disappointing experience, and we hope that you will allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the Marriott name.

Ryan Cipolla
brandon
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

I loved the hotel! It has a beautiful lobby and a little bistro we could eat that was delicious. It has excellent customer service. The rooms were basic but beautiful. The mattress was a little soft but I slept great in it. The room was very clean. I can't wait to come back. We will stay at this hotel every time we visit KC.

Stayed April 2014
Thank you very much for your kind response. The positive feedback is greatly appreciated and I will make sure to share with the staff. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Kansas City!!!

Ryan Cipolla
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Our Courtyard hotel in Shawnee Mission delivered extraordinary customer service to us recently. Not only were the rooms spacious, clean and excellent overall, and the staff were friendly and courteous, but we ran into a major problem with weather. Our entire youth hockey team was at the hotel for a two-night stay and a blizzard of ice then snow was rolling in that weekend. After our first morning of games, the predictions turned nastier and the travel forecast became more dangerous. Staying for another 24 hours threatened to trap us in town for an additional day or two. Knowing we would have to drive the next day back to St. Louis on top of an ice sheet, potentially with delays and safety concerns, the team's parents huddled in the lobby and conferenced on Saturday morning. We wanted to play the games but had to think about safety. And it's weather, so there is guesswork. Everyone on the team was quite okay with writing off the additional hotel expense if we canceled, but we had to decide soon if we were leaving. In the middle of the discussion, the front desk clerk and manager of the Courtyard Marriott let us know that if we had to cancel and it was due to the weather, they would not charge us for the extra night. The parents were very impressed and it took some of the additional pressure off the call as we made it. As it turned out, 6 hours later, ice and sleet rolled into the area with snow on top of it, and that highway between KC and STL was shut down due to multiple accidents. And our entire team was home safe, since we finally made the call to leave early. The kids ended up having some make-up games in town and did not even know how tough the decision was. Thank you, Courtyard Kansas City Shawnee -- you delivered above and beyond.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank mc_trip01
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

This is about as nice of what I would call a regular hotel I've ever stayed in. By regular I mean not a luxury type or resort type. This looks like a standard 4 or so story by the highway hotel. But we were pleasently surprised that it is a new and very well thought out place. It has the conveniences of a much larger place. There is a small shop area with real food and drinks. There is a coffee shop style small restaurant in the entryway that is very nice and convenient. The room was set up differently than most with the bed facing the window. A well thought out use of space. Very nice and clean. Would for sure stay there again. Only complaint is that our room was next to the stairwell and we could hear the footsteps of people. Which normally I don't think would be an issue but there was a youth boys sports team staying at the time that did a lot of running up and down.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Having stayed at this property once and vowing never again to return, I begrudgingly made a reservation as it was the best option for my trip. I was BLOWN away at the changes that hotel has made. First and most noticeable was the staff - every person that I encountered was incredibly friendly and courteous. Gone were the surly staff. My biggest fear was the room - when I arrived at my room, not only was it impeccably cleaned - it smelled fresh - not the stale, dirty smell I remembered from my last stay. With the changes that hotel management has made - it's truly one of the better Courtyard's I've ever stayed at. The one area that I feel needs improvement is with the bistro - the food is overpriced, precooked and just not worth it. There are many great restaurants in the area - venture out.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Shawnee - Kansas City West
Hampton Inn Kansas City/Shawnee Mission
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West
Drury Inn Kansas City Shawnee Mission
Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Lenexa City Center

Been to Courtyard Kansas City Shawnee? Share your experiences!