“Even better under new ownership.”
Review of Fogones Mexican Delights - CLOSED

Fogones Mexican Delights
Cuisines: Mexican
Kansas City, MO
“Even better under new ownership.”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The place recently came under new ownership and was remodeled. The food was good before but now it is even better.

The new ownership took over in January of 2013. They remodeled and changed the menu for the better.

I have been twice sense the change and both times the food has been excellent and the wait staff very attentive. This will be become a regular stop for me.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ajayhawkfan

Olathe, Kansas
“A great fresh tasting start after remodeling”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Fogone's has recently re-opened after a little remodeling. I had not visited this restaurant prior to the remodeling, but it now has some nice artwork, beautiful tables and chairs and a nice, clean look inside. A previous reviewer mentioned paper plates and plastic silverware, but those appear to be a thing of the past as there's some good solid flatware in play these days. I've been there a couple of times now since they've reopened, and have not been disappointed. Everything is very fresh. You're greeted with green salsa with a lime flavor to it and a spicy red tomato based salsa - both very tasty to go with the chips. The poblano espinaca is quite good as an appetizer. The fajitas are loaded with fresh peppers and onions. The carne asada is tender and flavorful. The cilantro lime rice that comes on the side is nice and light. The wait staff is very attentive and courteous, and you can see the cooks hard at work preparing your food from scratch. Overall, a great restaurant, very casual, and a lighter, fresher taste for Mexican food.

• Visited January 2013
Shawnee, KS
“Don't judge a book by its cover!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My kids (10,11), my husband and I love this place. The first time we went in, I was a little concerned because everything was served on paper plates with plastic silverware and styrofoam cups. After my first bite of food, none of that mattered anymore and I am hooked! The tortillas are as fresh as the ones I ate in the market in Mexico! The tacos are served in fresh corn tortillas. You must try the Cochinita Pibil. It is amazing!

• Visited May 2012
Shawnee, Kansas
“the real Mexico without the high price of airfare...”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

If you are missing Mexico and it's food and people, go here! I learned about Fogones in an article in The Shawnee Dispatch, which tells the story of how this Mexican family chose to live in Shawnee and open an authentic Mexican restaurant. Ask them, if they have time to tell you the whole story.....it's an interesting story!

The food is authentic which is their intent. Most of the family works in this cute little restaurant and we really enjoyed talking with them. They have only been open about a month now. This is a small, very casual and clean restaurant and is much like going to the yummy food carts that you find on the street in Mexico, except you are inside in a cheerful and simply decorated restaurant with a few familiar pieces of Mexican folkart.

The mushrooms with chile's are good on the Sope's. I had the Pescadilla (Fish Quesadilla) and a Pollo en Mole Taco and both were excellent. My husband had three Tacos - Cochinita Pibil, Carnitas en Salsa Verde and I can't remember what the 3rd Taco was but he was impressed with all of them, I tasted two of his and thought they were excellent too. All were stuffed full of meat and were only $2.25 each! We also had Margarita's and they were the best frozen Margarita's I've ever had. Something about them that has a unique but I don't know what it is.

You can sit down to eat or order takeout at the counter. Most of the cooked meat fillings are displayed in a hot table at the counter, where you can see what you are getting. While taking a peek, they gave us a taste of several of them before we ordered....so we could decide on our filling. Our order was taken quickly by the only waiter and you get your food really fast. We had questions as we didn't understand what to do, but the menu is the items listed over the counter.....you can't miss it. If there are specials they will be on the board nearby.

I wish them great success here in Shawnee.....and we'll be back! Fogones is a short block west of Johnson Dr. and Nieman, on the North side of the street.

• Visited January 2012