“Sweet mother papusas!”

Cuisines: Central American
Sacramento, California
“Sweet mother papusas!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I just moved to the area and was looking for a bite to eat. The other reviews were right, the papusas are amazing! It's a little hole in the wall type joint, very clean though. I was a little confused on the set up, I went up to the counter to order and when I asked what the total was the younger gal behind the counter seemed to be confused as to why I wanted to pay now, but she rang me up anyway. I thunk she mistook my order for a to-go because it came wrapped up with plastic cutlery while everyone else has proper plates and such. This is definitely a family restaurant, I don't thunk if you wanted some quiet time or deep discussions this would be the spot. But the papusa I had was delicious- pork and cheese, and the tamale was great too. I'd never had one wrapped in plantain leaves before, and it made the cornmeal much softer and more palatable than I am used to. Also got a hibiscus juice to drink which was a nice sweetness to balance off the other flavors in the meal. I will totally be going back!!

Kansas City, Missouri
“Heaven in a papusa”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Delicious. Delicious. Delicious. I had a pork and cheese papusa and a pork tamale which was plenty of food. They serve coleslaw with a little kick to put on the papusa. Small diner type of environment. It's not fancy but the food is wonderful. Lots of juices to choose from like mango and pineapple. Very good cheap eats. My bill was under $6 and I left full. Don't be afraid to try the papusas. That is the best thing there. For those that have never had a papusa and scared to order one, they have some typical Mexican food like tacos and stuff, but why would you want that when you can get heaven in a papusa? Easy to find but you'd never even notice the place just driving by. Going south on I-35, exit on Johnson Drive. Turn right on Johnson to go west. Go across the railroad tracks and take the first left. It's just a short half block or so. Blue building on the left. Go there. It's worth the drive.

• Visited October 2013
“Pupusa paradise”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

For those looking for authentic Salvadorean cuisine, look no further.

The pupusas are not only LARGE, but quite tasty, fresh and true-to-form. The fried plaintains with beans and crema are also a welcome treat and the corn tamale's sweetness takes me back to the street vendors in Antigua Cuzcatlan.

Definitely a value for the money. Great juices, too, try the maracuya (or passion fruit), which is sweet and delightful.

I have not tried the mexican fare, so I won't comment, but the salvadorean cuisine is great and consistent, as I have been twice in the last month.

• Visited January 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
“Intriguing Place”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Interesting food. Salvadorean. A simple restaurant with very good food. Love the spicy cabbage as a condiment. The chicken tamales are probably my favorite. Try it and I think you will like it if you are at all an adventourous eater!

1 Thank kstravlr_25
Clever
“Pupusa Heaven”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I get so tired of "authentic Mexican" restaurants, and when I found this hole-in-the-wall on Urbanspoon, I was excited to try it. It is not a "Mexican" restaurant, although the menu does have a section dedicated to more traditional plates in Mexican restaurants. It's a Latin American dining experience, and it's one I won't forget! I took the advice of the reviews and ordered a pupusa (along with a tamale). I got the mixed pupusa, which had beans, pork, and cheese in it. It was served with a cabbage mixture dressed with salt, vinegar, and oregano. The pupusa by itself was delicious, but when I topped it with the cabbage and a little salsa, it was divine. The tamale was excellent as well, but I cannot stop my cravings for another pupusa. I am definitely returning here! Please don't pass El Pulgarcito by!

• Visited September 2012