“a FABULOUS hands on experience for preschoolers!!”

Wonderscope Children's Museum of Kansas City
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Shawnee
More attraction details
Owner description: Wonderscope Children's Museum of Kansas City sparks a lifelong love of learning through the power of play. Wonderscope is a family-friendly place full of imaginative, interactive exhibits and programs where young children and adults can explore and discover the adventure of learning together.
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a FABULOUS hands on experience for preschoolers!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

As a preschool teacher here on vacation from Iowa, I thought that Wonderscope was one of the BEST Children's Museums I have EVER seen! I took my two young boys (ages 6 and 4) alone this afternoon and we spent close to 4 hours investigating, exploring, learning and laughing. I LOVED that it was in an old school--what a great use of space and as other reviewers mentioned, it was nice to have different themes in various rooms. As opposed to other large museums we have visited in Minneapolis and Denver, I knew my boys would stay in one room until we were ready to move on. I was so impressed with the vast amount of props available in each room. (It didn't bother me at all that things weren't sparkling clean!) It was much more meaningful to have tons of COOL tools in the vet clinic, real x-rays, and cages, for example. I appreciate the wide variety of materials available in the Market and Tinker Space and was glad that I saved the H2O and Art room for last since they got wet and I didn't have to carry their art work around the museum the entire time. I love the variety of experiences my boys got to enjoy from chalk to facepaints, dramatic play environments to ramps. Hands down our favorite was the Speedway room with hundreds of golf balls and interchangeable loops/tracks. This was the best $20 the 3 of of us could have spent on a rainy day!!!!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Molly R

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful, non-commercial play experience”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wonderscope is a hidden gem in the KC area. It is a nonprofit children's museum with an educational mission that promotes learning through play. My son, his cousins and his friends all LOVE going there. There are several different exhibit rooms that allow for hands-on experiences - water play, building, pretend play, art etc. The museum also offers occasional special events and we love the concert series.

Yes, I agree with other commenters that the museum is a bit dingy. But, the kids don't mind that one bit. I disagree with complaints about parents having to pay. That is standard at most children's museums, the zoo, the aquarium, LegoLand etc and I think it is appropriate because unlike Monkey Bizness (which is fun, don't get me wrong), this is an INTERACTIVE and EDUCATIONAL place. You are going for more than just running around at Wonderscope. You are going to learn (even if the kids don't realize it).

Visited January 2013
2 Thank melissalane4730
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Ok at best”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

1st off let me tell you that having to pay for the adults is ridiculous. But, my daughters loved this place. Yes, it was a little dirty, but they still loved it. Their favorite part was playing "vet" to all the stuffed animals-but they do that at home anyway! Not worth the money to go when they have the same stuff as you would at home.

Gardner, Kansas
“Parents Pay!”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The most ridiculous part about this place is that parents pay too! Parents pay at no other play place except this one, they have no coupons or deals and run nothing for parents during the week. It is a waste of money. If you want to take your kiddos someplace great and totally worth the money in Kansas City, head just down the road to Little Monkey Bizness. Get there before 9am, pay 5 bucks, but only for the kids and play for hours!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Tara285
Midwest, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to be fun, dirty and not maintained now”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We used to love spending hours at Wonderscope. The creative play options were so unique, and my son would BEG to go. I loved seeing what new and interesting things they would come up with each time. For a while the museum was doing well.

We've been very disappointed lately. Many exhibits have not been repaired and do not work well or are missing the "cool" pieces, so my son was not very interested in it anymore. What bothered me was how dirty it is there. I doubt it's been cleaned in a very long time. Even the water in the water tables was murky. I couldn't wait to leave.

For such a high price (they charge for adults, which the other museums we go to do not), I would expect much more. A cleaning crew, for starters.

Visited November 2012