“Was expecting more for the price.”

Baymont Inn & Suites Salina
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Salina
Nashville, Tennessee
“Was expecting more for the price.”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I am traveling on business to the area frequently so I've stayed at 6 or 7 hotels in the area. I'm going to try to remember to rate them all.

I ended up staying here for a two week period. I would give this a 4 star compared to some that I've stayed at in the area, but a few things are keeping it at a 3. The good: The beds were very comfy and I liked the towels. (The towel thing really bugs me when they feel like sandpaper) Good location on Crawford and near I35. Walking distance to a few restaurants. Big rooms. The pool was small but looked clean.

The bad: The website said they had laundry facilities on site. This is important to me when I'm somewhere for longer than a week and is one reason I book such a place. When I asked about it, they directed me to a laundromat. The breakfast was basic fare...a few days in the two weeks I noticed bad spots on the apples and bananas. When I first arrived, the cartons of milk were past their fresh date. My movie channel (i believe HBO) worked some days and some days it did not. I had to leave my fan on at all times to drown out the noise of the microfridge and I guess my room had an older wall unit for the heat and air...because the others I talked to said they had a digital one. When I turned on the heat it would kick off very shortly and I had no clue what temp it was at.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Foodie240

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for one night. While it is nothing spectacular, I found it to be a clean hotel, mostly quiet, with fairly comfortable beds. The WiFi is not as bad as people commented if you stay towards the end of the halls. There are a few better hotels if you are looking for something more 4-4 1/2 star or with suites. This is just your typical average room hotel similar to a Best Western or slightly below a Holiday Inn Express (Not nearly as nice breakfast as a HIE).

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank JonathanOKC
Centerton, AR
Reviewed September 25, 2011

The good: the man who checked me in late at night was friendly, and because they only had an accessible king room, upgraded me to the executive king room.

The bad: Though the room was fairly clean, there was an old bloodstain on the bath floormat towel.
The hotel is next door to a trailer park, and I heard a barking dog from that park all night.
The interior needs renovation. There is peeling paint, old carpet, narrow hallways, and missing grout.
I noticed just before I went to sleep that HBO didn't work. I chose not to make a nuisance of myself by calling at the late hour, and went to sleep.
The next morning, I explored the slightly below average breakfast options, grabbed a Jimmy dean biscuit and headed back upstairs to eat before I checked out. I then learned that the mcrowave in the room did not work. A few minutes later, I checked out and told the woman behind the desk about the hbo and broken microwave. She proceeded to berate me for not immediately calling the desk for each item, and made excuses about how the hbo had been blocked for a prior guest. The words "sorry", or "apologize" never left her mouth, nor was there any offer of a credit or other offer. Just blame for my not immediately calling her after midnight for HBO, and my broken microwave discovery 15 minutes before. Farewell Fairfield. You have lost a customer.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank davesbrew
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Pros:
Nice pool
Nice beds

Cons:
Ladder in pool not maintained and had sharp edge that cut son's foot
Terrible wifi
Too expensive for this location

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Hotel is nice. We got here so late (3am) that we missed breakfast later that morning, so I can't comment on that. Staff was friendly. Lots of noises made it hard to sleep. Air conditioner is not working as well as I think it should. It was a little warm in the room.

• Stayed August 2011
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Positives:
- Clean room
- Accessible location
- Night manager worked hard to solve problems
- Easy drive to services

Negatives:
- Needs refurbishing (see below)
- Booking issues
- Noisy air conditioning
- Tight parking

If hotels were rated on a monochromatic scale where "black" is bad and "white" is good, this property would be a medium gray.

Our experience at the Salina Fairfield Inn fairly well defined an "average" stay. The property is somewhat worn and in need of a "freshening". The building has experienced some settling, resulting in sticky doors. We had trouble opening our room, then my wife got stuck in the bathroom. We thought the locks and knobs were to blame but the night manager came up and showed how we could get in by being a bit more forceful when opening the doors. (He explained a refurbishing had been planned for this year but the owners were required to upgrade another property. They had, however, gotten new flat screen televisions as a result of a mandate from Marriott.)

Our room was clean, and the bed comfortable enough, but the wall-mount air conditioning unit was noisier than normal. Other than the sticking doors and loud A/C, we had no problem with the facility.

However, the family that checked in before us was given a room that hadn't been cleaned. What's more, their room was not of the type reserved. The night manager was clearly upset and went to great lengths to provide an acceptable solution, upgrading them to a king suite at a discount.

If that wasn't enough, another couple of travellers complained of dirty rooms as we checked in. After overhearing their experiences, I was concerned about the cleanliness of our room but it was very nice.

Item: a motor speedway is not far from the hotel...we could hear racing cars while in the hotel parking lot, but could not hear them inside our rooms, even when the air conditioner was turned off.

A number of gas stations and chain eateries surround this property, so you won't need to look far when preparing for the next leg of your trip. A typical Fairfield breakfast is available... waffles, boiled eggs, microwaveable sausage biscuits, cereal, bagels, etc... for breakfast eaters.

While this hotel rates on the low end of our expectations for a Marriott property, we'd have no qualms about staying again, especially when simply passing through. It's better than many alternatives at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The_Real_Birdcatcher
Seattle
Reviewed June 6, 2011

For a budget hotel chain like Fairfield, I don't ask for much...just a decent bed, decent shower and cleanliness. But the beds in this hotel are ruthless...they seem to have been taken from the Cruel Store. I thought Marriott was a little better than this. If you are the type of person who can sleep on nails, then go for it. It's otherwise clean and decent. But if you like a bed that gives you some level of comfort, I'd go elsewhere in Salina.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple