“Not a bad place to stop over, but lots of noises made it difficult to sleep.”

Baymont Inn & Suites Salina
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Salina
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Not a bad place to stop over, but lots of noises made it difficult to sleep.”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Hotel is nice. We got here so late (3am) that we missed breakfast later that morning, so I can't comment on that. Staff was friendly. Lots of noises made it hard to sleep. Air conditioner is not working as well as I think it should. It was a little warm in the room.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Positives:
- Clean room
- Accessible location
- Night manager worked hard to solve problems
- Easy drive to services

Negatives:
- Needs refurbishing (see below)
- Booking issues
- Noisy air conditioning
- Tight parking

If hotels were rated on a monochromatic scale where "black" is bad and "white" is good, this property would be a medium gray.

Our experience at the Salina Fairfield Inn fairly well defined an "average" stay. The property is somewhat worn and in need of a "freshening". The building has experienced some settling, resulting in sticky doors. We had trouble opening our room, then my wife got stuck in the bathroom. We thought the locks and knobs were to blame but the night manager came up and showed how we could get in by being a bit more forceful when opening the doors. (He explained a refurbishing had been planned for this year but the owners were required to upgrade another property. They had, however, gotten new flat screen televisions as a result of a mandate from Marriott.)

Our room was clean, and the bed comfortable enough, but the wall-mount air conditioning unit was noisier than normal. Other than the sticking doors and loud A/C, we had no problem with the facility.

However, the family that checked in before us was given a room that hadn't been cleaned. What's more, their room was not of the type reserved. The night manager was clearly upset and went to great lengths to provide an acceptable solution, upgrading them to a king suite at a discount.

If that wasn't enough, another couple of travellers complained of dirty rooms as we checked in. After overhearing their experiences, I was concerned about the cleanliness of our room but it was very nice.

Item: a motor speedway is not far from the hotel...we could hear racing cars while in the hotel parking lot, but could not hear them inside our rooms, even when the air conditioner was turned off.

A number of gas stations and chain eateries surround this property, so you won't need to look far when preparing for the next leg of your trip. A typical Fairfield breakfast is available... waffles, boiled eggs, microwaveable sausage biscuits, cereal, bagels, etc... for breakfast eaters.

While this hotel rates on the low end of our expectations for a Marriott property, we'd have no qualms about staying again, especially when simply passing through. It's better than many alternatives at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The_Real_Birdcatcher
Seattle
Reviewed June 6, 2011

For a budget hotel chain like Fairfield, I don't ask for much...just a decent bed, decent shower and cleanliness. But the beds in this hotel are ruthless...they seem to have been taken from the Cruel Store. I thought Marriott was a little better than this. If you are the type of person who can sleep on nails, then go for it. It's otherwise clean and decent. But if you like a bed that gives you some level of comfort, I'd go elsewhere in Salina.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Reezlin
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Overall, a clean, basic, nicely sized hotel room. The included internet access is terrible. Even gmail took minutes to load. Unacceptable in this day.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Belleview, Florida
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We were in Salina for 2 nights for a high school graduation. Hotel well located. Staff very friendly & helpful. Nice pool & jacuzzi. Room spacious & clean. Good breakfast. Free Internet - yeah! Great value. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 25, 2011

They lack customer service. Very rude staff speak down to people.Seem like they would rather be somewhere other than work. Not what you would expect for a Fairfield Inn by Marriott. Salina has other hotels that are better for the value and service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Enjoying2Day
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Let me begin by saying I've stayed at Fairfield Inns in the past without any issues. As a matter of fact, from my perspective, they are interchangeable with Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express. That changed with our stay at the Fairfield Inn in Salina, KS.

First, the room is appointed like a motor hotel from the 1960's, but that's not important. Secondly, the bed felt like they put 2 inches of foam on a plywood plank. Thirdly, the sheets were stiff and uncomfortable. Fourth, the pillows were the most uncomfortable pillows I've ever tried to rest my head on, there wasn't any give or softness to them.

All of the above is bad, but the fifth point is the worst. After a bad night of sleep, due to the bed, sheets, and pillows, about 6:00am a noise similar to an alarm kept going off. My first thought was, "I can't believe the guest in the next room continues to hit the snooze button". Finally around 7:00am I got up and went to the computer that is in the dining area to check on some banking and there it was - it was the sound of the waffle maker going off when someones waffles were ready. After finishing my business I walked by the front desk and told the lady I could hear the buzzer in my room. Her reply was, "Oh." then she looked away. Due to her lack of concern I said, "Oh? Well tell the manager." Shockingly her reply was, "She knows." To which I replied in a loud voice because I was now boiling was, "Then tell her I'm pissed!"

No way would I stay at this hotel. Normally we stay at the Hampton Inn in Salina because I like Hilton Honors better than Marriott Rewards, but to save $35.00 I decided what the heck. NEVER AGAIN. Salina, KS is a small town so my advice is to stay at any hotel, Hampton Inn, Country Inn and Suites, Ramada, or Holiday Inn Express - any hotel but the Fairfield Innn in Salina, KS.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple