“Expensive for what you get”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Salina
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Salina
Lake Zurich, IL
“Expensive for what you get”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Chose this location along our route in Salina based solely on previous good experiences with the Holiday In Express brand. This one did not live up. Above-average price, completely average experience. Tiny, icky indoor pool was a huge disappointment to my kids. Fortunately, we were only passing through and only had time to sleep, eat and leave.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Colorado
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Great location in central Kansas, coming off of the 135 onto I-70, and a friendly staff. That's about it. This is one of those hotels that needs help. It's old, beds are old and uncomfortable, rooms are dirty, and could use a good cleaning and overhaul. Our bed was very uncomfortable and our room was dirty. But we were tired, and were pleased to use the guest laundry to get into some clean clothes. Staff was pleasant during check in, but the night manager was grumpy (older fellow) during check out.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
usa
Reviewed July 20, 2009

The Holiday Inn in Salina is a perfect stop for a night on your way to wherever you happen to be going in the country. We were there on a recent summer night and found the staff terrific, the bed comfortable and the hotel perfectly fine. I even enjoyed the fitness center and got a quick workout in.

The pool was closed for some kind of refurbishment while we were there, but that was no issue for us. The fitness center appeared to have new flooring. The staff was friendly and the hot breakfast (either omlettes with cheese or scrambled eggs, depending on the day) was just fine. There were a few healthy options (yogurt, cold cereals, hard boiled eggs) as well. If I travel across Kansas again, I'd stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen S
Colorado and Wyoming
Reviewed July 17, 2009

It appears that the Company is attempting a new overhaul, however, the toilet had brown funky crud around the bolts for the seat. The sink had a dark brown ring all the way around the lip of the sink. It was 106 degrees in the area on this day and the air conditioner was off at 1900 hours. We had to run the air all night long at 55 degrees to attempt to cool the room down. There was no management working to address these issues with. The front desk clerk states that she is in charge and will remove some money from our bill. We were also given an opportunity to be placed in another room. This room also had brown funky crud around the bolt holes on the toilet lid. We stayed in our original room. The clerk gave us $5.00 of our bill.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Centennial, CO
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed here twice; on Sundays two weeks apart, travelling from and to Colorado and had the same room both times. The hotel appears to be an older HI Express, was a bit worn, the room seemed smaller than newer HI Express hotels, but met my needs and expectations. The room was clean, breakfast was good, and despite facing a truck stop, was quiet once the teens left the pool area. The front desk clerk was friendly and efficient. We were acknowledged as Priority Club members and given a bag of microwave popcorn and bottled water on the first visit, but curiously not on the second visit by the same person at the front desk. Another oddity is that we clearly remembered the room having a microwave and refrigerator that was missing on the second visit.

This was my first attempt to wirelessly connect with my laptop outside my home. Once in the room I was not able to connect to the Internet. I finally wandered back down to the front desk where I was provided a toll free number for tech support. I called the number, and in less than a minute reached someone who actually spoke English, and we quickly identified a configuration tweak I needed to make on my laptop. The support experience was vastly superior to that I have received from Microsoft, Dell, Symantec, etc.

My only complaint about the particular hotel is that using a laptop in the room was a giant pain. We spent nine nights in HI Express and HI properties on this trip and this unit was ergonomically the absolute worst for a computer user. First off, there was no desk chair at the table, just two stuffed chairs in the room, which sit too low for doing anything at a desk, and worse yet there was no room to turn one to face the table. The only way to use a laptop on the table was to stand or sit on the arm of the chair. To connect the power supply I had to crawl under the table to access an outlet behind and below the desk, whereas most other HI Express hotels provide an electrical outlet above the desktop.

While there are nicer HI Express hotels, I have no problem recommending this one or staying there again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wc53
Grant, Michigan
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Stayed here again last week. It had changed little in the two years since my last visit, and was jammed full of people. Not a perfect place, but a well taken care of and real close to the expressway with fuel and food nearby, too. Breakfast was good (there were two tour busses of teens eating with us) and they were up to the challange. No waiting at all Good choice (not great) for an overnight stay that is easy to find and seems safe, too. Staff not overly friendly but all business, so I guess that is good.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Impala guy
Holts Summit, MO
Reviewed June 29, 2009

The suite that I paid for was dirty. The carpet was so disgusting that the bottom of my 2 year olds feet were black after walking barefoot on the carpet for 15 minutes. The Jakuzi in our room was full of hair. My wife stepped on a staple sticking up from the edge of the carpet. I would not recomend this hotel to anyone.
I do recomemend staying at the Country Inn and suites in Salina. It is a couple miles of the interstate, but well worth the drive.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family