“Good for our purpose”

Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Salina
Kansas
“Good for our purpose”
Reviewed March 8, 2009

This Holiday Inn Express is getting older, but is OK for our purpose. We like to stay here when we are attending the Smoky Hills Winery events, which is located about 2 miles north.

The room was clean, the staff was very friendly, and the breakfast was really better than most of the other hotels of this caliber. We had hot and cold items -- scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, sausage gravy, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, bagels, muffins, cereals, yogurt, fruit, coffee, juice, etc.

The a/c in the room helped to drown out the noise from the hallway. Some people just let their children run wild with no parental supervision. At least it quieted down after 11:00 pm. Next time, I will ask for a room away from the vending machines and not on the same hallway as the pool. All in all, it was a fine stay, and we will no doubt stay here next time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KansasHummingbird

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Colorado
Reviewed November 30, 2008

This hotel, as others have said, is right next to a truck stop and pretty close to the I-70. You don't really hear any noise from the truck stop, but you can hear the I-70 somewhat. Still the noise is not overpowering and we had no problems sleeping. The room was just fine, clean and big enough and the price was reasonable. Access to your room is from inside the building and they do take pets for an additional change of $10. Breakfast is a hot breakfast as well as standard continental fare. It's good enough to get you going. If you're just passing through Salina and you need a room for the night I think this hotel should fit the bill.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank meugo
Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2008

It was clean and the front desk was very nice and helpful. High Marks for the staff. The location is right next to a truck stop but we never heard the trucks. We did hear a lot of hall noise and the walls were thin as well. It is an older hotel and very long in the tooth it could really use an update. We passed what looked like a new H.I. Express in Hays WY about 100 miles to the west. In hindsight it might have been a better choice. There was also a nice looking Country Inn and Suites there in Salina. For the price $100 it was OK. Would I stay there again. No probably not.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — old and dingy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My husband and I stopped here around midnight on a road trip across the country. The surrounding area and other hotels didn't seem incredibly nice, but the Holiday Inn Express was acceptable. The front desk clerk was exceptionally nice, and he was very patient with me when we had to change rooms at 1 a.m. due to our inconsiderate neighbor who didn't try to stop her baby/toddler from screaming in the hallway outside our door. The new room was quiet.

The bed was comfortable, the variety and quality of the pillows were excellent, the shower head and water pressure were fantastic, and the room was clean enough. I did find some hair pins on the floor near the desk which completely grossed me out, but I was too tired to care much.

Breakfast was adequate, although the no-name cereals weren't very good. There seemed to be a nice variety and it was very clean.

While this was far from the nicest hotels I've stayed in, if I ever have to drive across Kansas again, I would probably stay here in a pinch.

• Liked — Great customer service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcfbgk
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed October 3, 2007

While the staff was helpful and pleasant I did not feel this HIX is up to the standards that I usually encounter. Small room. Much like an older Hampton. No microwave or fridge.

Many hotels have welcoming cookies at the desk in the evening. This one has pet snacks. I am not concerned with a lack of cookies. Should not eat them in the first place but I would like to find people friendly hotels rather than pet friendly. The television show 20/20 identified the question of cleanliness in rooms that have housed pets. I personally had a bout with fleas in a hotel last year. Plus, there are those who are affected by allergies. Some hotels that allow pets have them only in certain rooms as with smoking. I do not believe that this property does that.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Rt66tbird
oklahoma city
Reviewed August 8, 2007

I stayed overnight and was well pleased. The room was clean and bed comfortable. The air conditioner compressor was too loud for me as it went on and off during the night but I slept anyway.

The staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient.

The exercise room is very small; only had several pieces of equipment. A small indoor pool is across the hall.

The breakfast provided at 6:am was very good: cereals, oatmeal, cinnamon rolls, several juices, milk, hard-boiled eggs as well as egg omlettes with cheese or ham.

It is located near several large gas stations; the nearest has a Subway Deli inside.

• Liked — location off the interstate and easy fuel availabilty.
  • Disliked — located very close to a truck stop like environment
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank servok
oklahoma city, oklahoma
Reviewed August 1, 2007

My family stayed here for one night on the way back from a family vacation. The property is good, with a decent continental breakfast, and clean rooms with Queen beds instead of double. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The bedding was very comfortable, with different pillows for you to choose from.

The pool there is very small and extremely boring, but this is the only real negative on our stay at this hotel.

I would recommend booking a few days early if you can, especially in the summer. Central Kansas sees a lot of travelers heading to Colorado.

• Liked — comfortable queen beds
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank digitalsabre