“I don't get it”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I don't understand how this restaurant gets such good reviews. I find it mediocre at best. The company I work for loves to have business luncheons here so I've had more than my share of Martinelli's and have tried a large array of offerings. The only remarkable meal I had was posted as a special, turned out to be the previous day's special that had not been erased from the board, was prepared for me anyway at the cost of being served with many apologies after everyone at our table had finished their entree. Needless to say I took a few bites and had it wrapped to go so that I wouldn't keep our company officers waiting. The service is usually terrible, the food is not cooked fresh, there are long waits, and there is absolutely nothing outstanding on the menu. They do serve large portions, I'll give them that much, and the chopped salad is tasty.

They used to have wonderful stuffed olives as an appetizer. When Sam's Club discontinued them, so did Martinelli's. Their employees are not shy about telling customers that most of the meals originate from frozen, prepared packaging.

One interesting thing that Martinelli's will do is put their prepared meals into your casserole dish so that you can have a dinner party and pretend that you've cooked the meal yourself. I have been to a dinner party where the hostess shared this information with us when someone told her it must have taken hours to prepare the courses.

Many people like this restaurant. I do not. Just my opinion!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Located at the heart of the town; very good Italian food with great service and friendly staff. Excellent fit for the small city. We had fun there. Will go back next time I am in Salina.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was our second time back and we were looking forward to it. Honestly, the food was not as good as it was 2 years ago. Everyone agreed their pasta could have been so much better. The salads are huge and the portions are huge. That much is true. Service was okay.

1  Thank Shannon B
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We drove here from Hutchinson, KS one night because we had been asking Siri about local dining. My wife and I enjoy pasta dishes quite a bit so we drove up to Salina for the food. It was really good and the portions are very large. Make sure to bring an appetite. I ordered spaghetti with meat sauce and my wife ordered lasagna. The sauce is a bit spicy but not too bad. We took home leftovers and had them for lunch the next day. Overall a trip worth the time and money.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My family stopped here on a road trip. The service was excellent -- we continue to have a very favorable opinion of people in Kansas. The prices were great. The pizza was just okay but my husband really liked his pasta. It was fun to visit a local restaurant instead of the national chains.

Been to Martinelli's Little Italy? Share your experiences!