“Seems like it's still an Econo Lodge”

Best Western Plus Midwest Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Salina
Spencer, Iowa
“Seems like it's still an Econo Lodge”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We very much enjoyed the location of the motel...so close to many good restaurants.
The refreshments in the lobby were very nice.

Compared to other Best Western Plus Hotels we've stayed in, this was only average at best.
When I made the reservations I didn't see that it was pet friendly. After checking in, we saw that many of the guests had pets. I suppose I didn't check closely enough when making the reservation, but I had my daughter check and she didn't see it on the website either. I would not have stayed had I known.

The other negatives: The drapes hung down over the AC/Heat unit so that you could not run it while the drapes were closed.
Lots of loud, yelling guests who were slamming doors late at night.
The dead bolt did NOT work. It had been shoddily installed and the bolt did not go into the frame of the door at all. Perhaps all the new doors had been installed incorrectly, I have no way of knowing...but if security is important to you, maybe you should check out the lock on your door before you get settled in.
I did turn in a report on it.

I took the survey that was sent to me by Best Western and got a form letter in return, simply saying that they wish I'd liked it better and to return another time!
I consider that a negative.

This was the last night of a 4000 mile trip, and was indeed the worst hotel on our trip.

Room Tip: Check your locks for correct installation before you settle in.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2travelbirds
BWGMSalina, General Manager at Best Western Plus Midwest Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Iam so sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We do have designated pet rooms available. But they are designated for that purpose. We did recieve your information about the dead bolt in your room and that has been corrected. we hope that you will stay with us again and the feedback you give us is vitally important so that we continue to grow and give you the best customer service possible

Susan Kamm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Leander, Texas, Usa
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The service here is extraordinary. Everyone from the time we arrived until the moment we left was focused on making our stay comfortable, enjoyable, and memorable. The coffee and iced tea which are constantly available in the lobby make a great, professional touch. I appreciated being able to pop down to the lobby for a great glass of iced tea. The room was quite clean, very spacious, and comfortable. We had two of our grandsons, and they loved the swimming pool. The heated pool was so nice since the outside temperature was about 40 degrees. This hotel is a very good value and is very nice and very professionally operated.
My only suggestions would be to have juice and water dispensers in the breakfast room rather than pitchers. The drinks were not as cold as I would like. It might be nice to have boiled eggs available, too. I'm accustomed to a refrigerator in the room that gets really cold and has a small freezer compartment. I believe the mini-frig in our room was actually a drink cooler, and it really didn't get cold enough and had no control.
But we loved our stay here, and our grandsons did also. Great job.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed two times, late March 2013 and early April 2013. Both times we had a “Suite – 1 King Bed”. (Note: This is not a true suite with two rooms, but one room with a 3 foot wide partial divider.)

The good stuff:
The price we received on the BW web site was a good value. Both rooms we had were clean and as advertised on the web site with micro & mini fridge. The hotel has been newly renovated (late 2012) and is smoke-free. The pictures on the Best Western web site are accurate.

The not so good stuff:
We had poor check-in experiences on both visits. On the first, there was no one at the desk but there was a sign saying to call. Upon calling, the clerk said she would be there soon. After I waited and she returned, she continued to enter stuff in her computer for the person she had been dealing with. I continued to wait. There was some confusion about getting a quiet room. On a good note, the clerk was helpful and pleasant to deal with once she gave me her attention.

Check-in for the 2nd visit was worse. Two clerks spent ages trying to answer questions from another customer about her points, reservations at this location, availability at a another BW, etc. Apparently there was only one computer available for the two clerks, so it was impossible for the 2nd person to take care of me while the first took care of the other guest. I stood around until I finally spoke up and asked if someone could just check me in. It all took ages.

Perhaps some of the “staff problems” were caused by the newness of the hotel. In addition to no check-in person available on the first visit, they were short-handed and overwhelmed with the large group of guests at breakfast (it was spring-break). On the second visit the employees appeared to be newly employed and inexperienced. Neither one knew their way around the computer system.

Though the hotel has just been remodeled, the workmanship is (as another reviewer said) "shoddy". For example, in both of our rooms, the grout on the bathroom floors was slopped up on the walls. In our 2nd room, a lamp on one table was not working (the chain on the switch was torn off). Also, when we checked in and received keys to the 2nd room, we found the door to our room propped open and a “Please Clean” sign on it. We were hesitant to go in, but it did appear to be OK. The sleep timer for the TV did not work on either of our two visits. Although the heat worked fine in the rooms, both bathrooms were cold.

On both occasions we had to go to the front desk and ask for a copy of the bill when we checked out. They did this willingly and nicely, but why have to ask? Most hotels slip it under your door on check-out day – a much nicer business practice.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as the hotel is at the intersection of two fairly busy streets. Room 131 was go...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband, dog and I are driving from Maryland to California . This second day of our journey landed us in Salina. This Best Western hotel is up there in my top ten Best Westerns which is saying a lot since we travel across the country fairly often. Lonni and Larry were very helpful, professional and courteous. The bed was super comfortable and the bedding was quite nice. Sheets were above average....NOT thin, worn or pilled. The towels were thick and nice sized. The room was impeccably clean as was the lobby. The only thing that could use some improvement are the grounds and since the hotel is only four months old hopefully they will figure that out. There is a need for a few garbage cans (especially near the side exit doors) around the property as there was a bit of litter....nothing bad. And a doggie clean up station would be most welcome. People should clean up after their pets and pet stations are helpful in encouraging others to do so!
Salina proved to be a wonderful stop. A very cool town....completely unexpected. And the tripadvisor restaurant reviews for Martinellis were right on the money. Good food, lots of it and very reasonably priced.
I will absolutely return to this Best Western!!

• Stayed April 2013
Casper, Wyoming, United States
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed the night here for a halfway stop on my journey from Oklahoma to Wyoming. The room was incredibly nice, and the staff was very welcoming and helpful in giving great suggestions for places to eat in town. The breakfast is not the typical bagels and cereal that you find at other low budget hotels - they offer bacon, eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, fruits, and juices. Overall I was very impressed with what was offered for the price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Greg M
Indiana
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Plus in Salina a halfway point driving out to visit family in Colorado. This hotel is very nice and has been recently remodeled. Although it is a Best Western, the facility is as nice as any Hampton or Holiday Inn Express, but at Best Western prices.
We only intended to stay one night and be on our way, but a big snowstorm shut down I-70 and we had to stay an extra night until they opened the interstate. The front desk staff was very helpful in finding us some things for the kids to do in town while we spent a day in Salina, which is a very nice little town.
If you plan to go in the pool and use the cool little water slide, then bring goggles because the water has a very strong cholrine content, which is a good thing for a hotel pool, but tough on the kids' eyes.
The hotel manager was the ditrict manager who was there to fill in, and she was on top of things and had the place running smoothly. After she left, the chubby desk clerk was a little more laid back and was more interested in the breakfast bar than the front desk, but it was more amusing than annoying.
All in all a very nice stay here and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Bring goggles for the pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family