“Found by mistake”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Russell
Ohio
“Found by mistake”
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We found this gem on our road trip from Cleveland, Ohio to Park City, Utah. We were looking for a hotel and our GPS found AmericInn in Russell. We followed the GPS's directions (which are accurate about 50% of the time!) and it led us to nowhere. As we were going towards the on-ramp to get back on the highway, we found what looked like a hotel, but it had no sign. It just said "conference center" on the side of the building. So we went there, I asked the person behind the desk if it was a hotel (she probably thought I was crazy) and she said it was. (As it turns out, the Fossil Creek sign was erected the next day). We happily booked a room, which had a microwave and refrigerator (thankfully). The pool area was huge. They had a regular pool, a kids' pool and a hot tub. The free breakfast was the best we ever had...it had an omelette bar!!! What a great way to start the day. All rooms had free wi-fi too (and a computer in the lobby). The people there were very nice and it's a nicely decorated, cozy lobby area. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. You can tell by the way they take care of the rooms and common areas that they care about this property. The price we paid for a double queen room was $89 - a steal if you ask me. If we are ever in Russell again, we will definitely stay at Fossil Creek.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We have stayed at this AmericInn for the past 4 years while traveling from KC to Colorado. When I called to book the room- the number didn't work. I tried to book through the Internet, and it said that the hotel was no longer a part of AmericInn- it is now called the Fossil something- it has really gone down hill! The pool is the best thing this hotel has going for it.
The night that we checked in, there was only one young lady working for the whole hotel! And she told us that the hotel was overbooked and didn't know if she could find us a room- even though I had a reservation confirmation number- she 'found' us a room- it was horrible! I wanted to leave and go find a hotel in Hays, but we were so exhausted we just stayed the night. Next time we will stay in Hays.

• Stayed June 2011
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 14, 2011

If it's too long to read check this:
the hotel--- is very quiet, clean, new looking. Has great services, the structure feels reliable (when you walk you can't hear BOOM BOOM BAM BOOM. the breakfast is HIGH QUALITY. The ac is new and the heater an coolong works well. Lighting is great in rooms. The bathroom is large and the shower is awesome.
I must say that AmericInn Lodge & Suites of Russell of Kansas was way beyond what my parents and I expected. the location (in kansas) was not where i wanted to stay; however it IS "purpose well served". Just as it got dark we spoted Americinn.
- The sign can be seen from far
- The Exterior (building design) was tremendously spectacular, very clean property as well.
- As we walked in there at the front desk were the most friendliest people around, they were patient enough to work with us whom were very tired and just wanted a bed, yet they waited and helped us get into our room.
- Im not really and elevator guy so, i was very pleased to see they had 3 floors and the stairs had ac to keep the area cool, railings for saftey and the stairways were very spacious. (the elevators seems to be up to date and ran smooth.
- The Room.... OH my if only i could have taken the room with me and used it every night, I must say they out done themselves just so we can be happy customers. well... but IT WORKED! no no no they didn't place a bunch of candy in the room but they MADE those rooms with LOVE! Excellent rooms
- (LISTEN THERE WERE NO, NONE, NO INSECTS OF ANY KIND IN THE ROOM!!)
- When breakfast came I was saying to myself "what's for for boreing breakfast today but to my suprise there was all I needed to have and 3 things stood out to me:
1. The waffle had AmericInn on it
2. There was FREE Cappuchino ( I had French Vanilla)
3. A lady who actually cooks omlets in front of you and she came to our table and asked if we wanted one, after it was done she brought it to our table; oh and it was cheesy!
oh how can i forget during breakfast you can see the balcony which brings you to a state of mind that will relax you and make you feel welcomed.
- The pool was indoor
- for me.. I'd give Americinn @ 1430 South Fossil, Russell, KS 67665 (94% of 100%)
WHY'S THE 6% MISSING?:
- The bed, felt abit TOO soft
- The TV was abit outdated for the 21st century
thats it.
* Garbage was removed from around property alot
* The maids/ room service check on us that morning to see if we needed assistance
* The LOVE, It was GENUINE!!!
to sum it up it was COZY

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing the gas station. not HWY
  • Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Jerone5740
Idaho
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We had stayed here once a few years back and had a decent experience. We decided to try it again. Bummer deal, dude! They are changing over to be a completely "smoke free" establishment. I requested 2 non-smoking rooms, but when I went into the second room I nearly gagged. I had booked the room for my parents and unfortunately, they were already settled in and unpacked by the time I realized the issue. The desk clerk was apologetic and offered a new room, but by then they were already unpacked and settled. He explained that they were changing over to all non-smoking, but he had forgotten which rooms hadn't been revamped yet and that even though they are all "non-smoking" they still, unofficially, allow smoking in a few rooms. I can't complain about the service because the young man at the desk was very nice and did offer to move them to a new room. Honestly, I think I was more bothered by it than my parents were. I just hate it when hotels claim all non-smoking but they haven't done anything to remove the smell from the former smoking rooms. My other complaint was that the beds were pretty uncomfortable. They were a bit saggy. I usually get a king, but all they had was a queen. The king beds were better on our previous stay.
All in all, I wouldn't stay here again. I'd go on down the road to Hays and try something there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Colorado
Reviewed May 5, 2010

In the past two years I've driven cross-country each summer and have stayed at this property three of the four times I've come through Russell, KS. Russell, KS just works out to be a good half-way point between Ohio and the front range of Colorado. The property is right off the highway, the rooms are clean and large, and everything looks very well maintained. The staff is super friendly, parking is right out in front of the hotel, and the breakfast buffet includes an omelet station in addition to the standard waffles, bagels, and pastries. We tend to grab some extra fruit (bananas and apples) and bagels on our way out in the morning in order to postpone having to stop for lunch. There are some other hotels and motels in Russell but the AmericInn is certainly worth the few extra dollars.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed January 4, 2010

This is a new hotel. The room was standard with no special features, but it was clean and comfortable. There were fresh cookies, popcorn, and soup available upon check-in. The breakfast variety is the best I have ever seen at any hotel. There were made to order omelets, scrambled eggs, french toast, waffles, biscuits and gravy, sausage, toast, pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, fancy jams, yogurt, etc.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Colrado
Reviewed July 13, 2009

When traveling with our young kids, we prefer to stay in suite style hotels, primarily so that we can put them to bed in one room and be able to stay awake in the other room until we're ready to hit the sack. The suites at the AmericInn fit the bill perfectly, with that specific setup - a separate bedroom where you can close the door. The room was clean, with a good quality bed. It was reasonably quiet. The pool was very good and included a separate (and warm) toddler pool, plus a hot tub. Breakfast was decent, but nothing to write home about. The hotel was just off I-70 and access to restaurants was pretty good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Russell
The Lodge At Russell
Midland Railroad Hotel
Hampton Inn Hays-North of I-70
Best Western Butterfield Inn
Sleep Inn & Suites Hays

Been to Fossil Creek Hotel? Share your experiences!