“Not the Stay We Expected”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manitou Beach
Manitou Springs Resort & Mineral Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Manitou Beach
Calgary, Canada
“Not the Stay We Expected”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Manitou Springs Resort and Mineral Spa was not the stay we expected. The best that can be said is the resort is centrally located, offers a free and good breakfast, has the spa in the same building and offers free shuttle service to Danceland. We stayed in one of the corner suites with a balcony overlooking the lake. The room was large and comfortably sat ten people...the gathering point for our party heading to Danceland. Comfortable mattress and good pillows. Flat screen TV with a good selection of channels. Housekeeping is the big issue. Dirty laundry from a previous guest was left in a drawer. The ice bucket used by a previous guest had not been emptied/cleaned. The bathroom floor is best described as 'tacky'...likely a small child could get stuck to the floor! We had two conditioners and one hand lotion but no shampoo for our use. The hotel has only one elevator...and wait times can be long. We would look for an alternative stay should we return to Manitou Beach. The hotel restaurant meals were good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Doug B
Dwight H, Manager at Manitou Springs Resort & Mineral Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

i have already spoken to my housekeepers and our housekeeping manager to ensure a more thorough job is performed in the future. As you can see from some of the recent reviews, we strive to keep our rooms much cleaner than the experience you had with us. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we can discuss your stay in more detail.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Review for Manitou Springs Hotel and Spa

The best I can say about this hotel is it was clean and where I needed it to be. My husband and I came out for the MS Bike Tour and this hotel seemed to be the best in the area. On check in, the receptionist insisted (to the point of rudeness) that my husband's bike go to the Watrous lockup. My issue with this is, we checked in a day prior to the ride left the day after the ride was over. The receptionist wouldn't hear it. Not only that, my husband's bike is not a cheap bike by any means. It wasn't leaving his site.

The next morning, we get up for breakfast, head down to the restaurant and find out the other MS riders have complimentary breakfast tickets. We did not receive one. Even the server mentioned it was strange so when we had time after the ride on Saturday, my husband went to the desk to inquire about this. He was told (in a not so polite manner) that only people who paid full price for their rooms got this. He re-iterated that it was other MS Bike tour riders that had these complimentary tickets and she said “no, that's not possible. I checked almost all of them in and I wouldn't have given them the complimentary tickets. They don't have them.” We just gave up. It seems the front desk staff were not very accomadating nor where they very welcoming. For a room with a minor discount, this also didn't seem like to much trouble as well.

There is a little sign in the bathroom that says “be environmental, towels on the rack won't be changed out” but there was no where to hang the towels. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because the bathroom never dried out. There was water dripping off of everything. It doesn't help that the bathroom doesn't have a fan or ventilation of any kind. This wasn't a huge problem, just an annoyance.

Then, we tried to make a couple of different appointments in the spa. If I didn't know better, I would swear there was only one person in the spa fulfilling appointments. We gave up. Again, simply another annoyance. I would love to have something nice to say about this part but I never had a chance to experience it and I tried.

Just for reference, I've worked reception and night audit in a couple of different hotels and my husband has run 8 hotels and one resort (and run hotels through a hotel management company.) We know the industry.

As I said, the best I can say is the hotel is clean and where I needed it to be.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank steampunkgirl
Dwight H, Manager at Manitou Springs Resort & Mineral Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I thank you for your comments, as we always appreciate when the Rona MS Bike Tour visits us each year.
I certainly believe that not allowing bikes in our hotel rooms is reasonable , and that is why the MS bike tour chooses to rent a facility in Watrous to store bikes for the riders. We also have a bike rack outside, if you would have chose to put a chain and lock on it for the first evening. As for the breakfast vouchers you did not receive, it is due to your lower room rate (Group Rate) as described by our hotel front desk agent. The other riders you talked to at breakfast were not part of the "MS bike tour block of hotel rooms" and had chosen to reserve their rooms independently of the block,. Because of this they paid a higher hotel rate than your group rate, and received the complimentary breakfast vouchers.

In regards to our hotel room bathrooms, we are like many other modern hotels where there is constant ventilation in the bathroom 100% of the time (the ventilation grill is located on the wall), and that is why there is no "fan switch" to turn on. Sometimes are hotel patrons do not see this, so it is understandable why you thought there was no fan in our bathroom.

As for Serenity Massage and Esthetics, we are sorry we were booked up with appointments and could not fit you in, even though we had 5 Serenity staff working that day (keeping in mind that weekends are Serenity's busiest time). We tell our guests at the time of booking their hotel room, to book ahead to avoid disappointment, as our Serenity Spa is quite popular.

Travelers are raving about these Manitou Beach hotels

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This review is for applicable to the Mineral Spa and Sam's Restaurant only.

I have been reading about Manitou Beach and the Manitou springs resort for a few years and finally had a chance to visit for the first time last June & came back last July and August. It is indeed a very nice place. I felt like I was transported thru time very different to the hustle and bustle of a city. The place of Manitou Beach is serene and peaceful. It is a good place to sit back and relax. The Pool Spa is very affordable for the unique experience. The food last June was very affordable, but when I came back last July it became pricey. I don't know if they change menu during the peak season, but it is still delicious.
The only complain is that one of my visitor was told to leave the pool because of her swimming attire wasn't acceptable. She tried to explain it to him that it is for swimming, but he didn't accept her explanation. She was disappointed and I felt so bad for her. To the management, I believe that some of your staff aren't aware that there are a variety of swimwear right now. She was wearing a swimming short...just like the men's swimwear, but shorter(for women).. Hope this incident won't happen again. I have observed that this isn't just myself who have commented about that.
Anyways, Manitou Beach sunset and sunrise is something you should check out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ayen702
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My family and I stayed at the spa this past long weekend. One of the pool staff was very rude to me and other swimmers because of our swimming attire. At the risk of sounding culturally insensitive, it might be better to hire people born in Canada for these positions who better understand our culture. Until now, I never had a problem in any public swimming pool or spa anywhere in Canada with my swimming attire. I have had several surgeries, and am covered in surgical scars. As a result, I wear a swim shirt when I swim in public. I found it very disheartening, to be rudely berated by someone with a rudimentary command of English for wearing what I consider as part of my regular swim suit, especially as I was allowed to wear it for the previous day and a half. I found the rest of the staff friendly and helpful, and yes, the restaurant was too expensive and had poor service (they were busy with the long weekend), but this experience at the pool has ruined my desire to back. Temple Gardens in Moose Jaw might be more expensive, but it is more professional and will now likely be my only spa destination in Saskatchewan.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Darren p
Dwight H, Manager at Manitou Springs Resort & Mineral Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
I thank you for your comments, and am sorry that your experience with us was not a great one for you and your family. I find it unfortunate that other spas and pools do not enforce proper swim wear policies to provide swimmers with the cleanest and safest swimming experience possible. We take our swim suit policy seriously, and do try to take the time to carefully explain to our patrons why certain clothing is not acceptable in our pool. The lifeguard that you talked to that day does not always speak English as well as we would like, and we appreciate your comments on some poor communication between him and yourself. All of our other lifeguards, however, all speak very good English.

Although we understandably upset the occasional pool patron by enforcing our swim suit policy for our pool, we will continue to educate our lifeguards and pool reception staff to remain as professional as possible while communicating with our pool patrons. We have a very simple one page document that we hand out to our patrons who inquire, that explains why all proper bathing suits have two layers of material built into them, as the safety and sanitation of our pool is our top priority.
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Upon arrival (a bit early than check-in), we were given another unit, which was to be the same as I had reserved online (a villa @ $135/night). The "luxury villa" consisted of a small room with a tiny kitchen, a Queen bed (uncoordinated colors of fabrics), a decent but small bathroom, a nail sticking out of the wall at head level (presumably where a photo should be hung), and a crack in the floor (which had obviously they tried to fix), and many scuffs and chips out of the THIN walls. Not to mention our beautiful view of an ugly parking lot ... with lots of construction around us. As well, there was no shade on the walkway in front of our joined villas. So with the hot sun beating down on the deck and building all day, it makes for an unpleasant place to sit and scalding door knobs to turn. Not far to the end of the villa, closely connecting onto the main building were the air exchanger unit was located. VERY noisy for any guests at the end of the villas or for any guests near that area in the main hotel. As well, there was a sign posted in our mini kitchen to make sure we did our dishes, our we would be charged. Sadly, I feel this should be part of the housekeeping duties, or at least send them to the kitchen to be done in a steam dishwasher. Everyone has their own ideas of cleanliness.
So, another frustration was many of the shops and little restaurants/takeouts/cafe in the "resort community" only took cash.
Onto the Sam's Restaurant in the main hotel. Our server was wearing black attire, however her white bra had shown through clear as day, and she was very awkward. Our meals were overpriced (this is certainly not a fine dining restaurant, yet they choose to give prices as if they are). And they didn't have everything available on the menu.
Breakfast the first morning (in which you receive tickets for your free breakfast upon arrival) consisted of picking 1 item from a small list ... and juice was not even permitted to be included - you had to pay for it (I was not able to drink tea or coffee). I asked for my eggs to be well done ... they came back runny. The next breakfast we had we waited nearly 25 minutes for our small plates of food, and when she sets my spouse's meal down, some of it slide out of his plate onto the table. It was very unprofessional service.
Then there was the gift shop, in which I entered twice. Both times there were 2 young ladies (unsure if they were the same ones each time) however, both times I was not greeted, I was not asked if I needed assistance (even with an article of clothing in my hand), NOTHING! The one even burped aloud, and the girls were giggling, playing with the products, and simply ignored me. Very unprofessional.
Upon leaving the resort (with not much to do for activities), I was not even asked by the clerk at the front desk if I enjoyed my stay. She processed my bill, handed it to me, and that was that. I made sure to give her my comment card (with all the above mentioned) and asked to make sure the manager received it.
Unless you have children, whom enjoy swimming in a cold, salty lake with a make-shift beach (which is as close as you are going to come to an ocean for many many miles, with lots of green algae in most areas), then this area may not be for you for a vacation. And if you don't mind the mediocre service, having to pay with mostly cash (and overpriced items), and the golden green color of the 3 temperature (sometimes crowded) mineral pools (Hrmm ... Temple Gardens in Moose Jaw's mineral pool is sparkling clear), then have at it. The place may be good for a senior just going to relax to ease some aches and pains and grabbing a quick lunch at the pool cafe. Or if you brought your family just to the "beach" with a picnic for the afternoon ... but this is far from a resort in my mind.
I will say, the only pleasant experience I had was a 30-min. massage from Melissa, and a 30-min each mini pedi and mani from Sarah.
You may think I do not know about hospitality, but my experience comes from a Hospitality Degree and nominations for Awards in the Service Industry. I know about paying careful attention to detail ... folding the toilet paper in the bathroom, matching your bed linens, seeing your reflection on chrome surfaces, having the extra amenities in the rooms, like extra pillows and blankets, no scuffs marks, torn wall paper, no finger prints on glass, etc. I know about proper meal service and how to pour water and wine without making a mess and dripping, or what each utensil is for, and pulling out chairs for lady and elderly guests. Mentioning my name as your server, knowing what the soup is, making suggestions, etc.

So, please take this all into consideration when making Manitou Springs "Resort" and Mineral Spa a stop on your vacation. I will certainly not be returning, unless the place is free. And they really need to beef up activities. Nothing was planned from the hotel - we had to find our own things to do ... but not even bicycle or canoe rentals for a "resort community". It's a shame, really.

Room Tip: Always get a room with a view and avoid the area where the AC outside unit is located.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank A_Jodrey
I appreciate your comments, and i can promise you that we will continue to strive for better customer service in all areas of our resort.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your massage and manicure and pedicure, as our Serenity Staff are often complimented on the spa treatments that they perform.
I would like to point out that we have approx. 8 times the mineral content of the other "mineral spa" that you mention, and that is why the color of their pool is much like any other swimming pool, and ours is different and you can actually float in it. It is sometimes difficult for people to understand why our pool is unlike any other they have seen, but it is simply due to the uniqueness of our highly mineralized water.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The lifeguard is very critical of female bathing attire but not mens. When I attempted to speak to a manager, she was extremely unprofessional and allowed the lifeguard to shout and make a scene since she didnt have any answers herself. I repeatedly asked to speak to her alone and in private and she refused. Then I was accused of being racist against the lifeguard for bringing it up, and was asked to leave. After speaking to a real manager, he offered a weak apology and a pathetic explanation of a bathing suit rule of "no spandex" allowed. He never once took ownership of the way his staff behaved or in any way resolved how I felt I had been treated. The bathroom/change room/shower was filthy and I didnt even want my child to walk around in there. The showers have one setting; scalding hot and at the desk you are herded about like prisoners not spa guests. You pay for relaxation and pampering and leave feeling abused and dirty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Plosker
I thank you for your comments, and i remember communicating to you on this bathing suit issue in great detail. We understand that sometimes when we don't allow people in our pool with improper bathing attire, that they can become upset with us. What you were wearing did not have a liner in it, like all bathing suits do for obvious sanitary and health reasons, and that is why you were not allowed to enter our pool while wearing it.

As for our showers, they are set at 110 F, which is comfortable for most people so it is unfortunate you found them to be too hot. We also clean our pool change rooms multiple times per day, and i agree that we should continue to focus on them, as we strive to have as clean a facility as possible.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

It was a very exciting experience going to the Manitou Beach. After listening to friends and reading reviews about it. We decided to go there.

The place is close to Saskatoon and very easy to find. The Mineral pool is nice and my friends were right "you really float" due to the waters mineral and salt content which are good for the body.

It relieved the pain in my back after staying for 4 hours. The visit was totally worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Lanigan
Lagana Hotel
Lagana Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lanigan

Been to Manitou Springs Resort & Mineral Spa? Share your experiences!