“Awful hotel awful management”
Review of American Inn Motel

American Inn Motel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Pratt
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed there for about a week I had my cat boarded elsewhere and he was dropped off the morning I was to pay for another week they accused me of having him there the whole time and are trying to charge me 75 extra pet night when he wasn't even at the establishment. I could barely understand the manager but I did understand him calling me a liar when I tried explaining he just got there that morning. They have signs all over the front desk about their pet policies but were screaming at me that they do not allow pets, yet the signs say otherwise. Then I was asked to leave. Those people in charge were horrid.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Had to stop and sleep in the middle of the night this place was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly even though we obviously woke them up with out late arrival. Got some much needed rest thanks guys.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This is now the Hillcrest Inn, and it is a terrible hotel. The room was dirty. Nobody bothered to try and clean in the corners of the carpeting or the tile in the bathroom. The water sprayed out of the shower head and faucet head when I took a shower and the water was 6 inches high in the tub when I was done with my shower. The water was hot with good pressure and the air conditioner worked pretty good. The bed was just okay. When I called to make my reservation the guy on the phone couldn't answer my phone because he couldn't understand my question. I think it is great when people from other countries are able to work here, but it is frustrating when their lack of understanding of the English language makes it so we can't communicate. The only reason I stayed at this hotel is because the availability in Pratt is not very good. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2011

We walked into the hotel and looked at the room first. It was not so big but good thing about room was it was clean. Staff was very friendly and attentive . Not too pricy, just under our budget. Could have more choices on breakfast but for the price it was just right.Will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We booked the hotel sight unseen on the Internet, as we were traveling to the area for the weekend. We booked two nights, only stayed one.

The staff both on the evening of our stay and the morning were very friendly, and they really are good ambassadors for the establishment. I wish I could say the same for the room.

Upon entering, it smelled musty. I mentioned this to my colleague, who said she noticed something but couldn't comment what. I brushed it away,saying that maybe the room just hadn't been used for awhile. On the surface, it seemed adequate. We weren't expecting anything luxurious, just something clean where we could lay our heads. I couldn't help but notice that the carpet felt slightly damp underfoot, though, and that the cobwebs on the ceiling looked as though they'd been there awhile.

We met with friends for supper and arrived back that night to find the musty smell had got stronger, despite us plugging in the refrigerator and turning on the AC before we left. We settled into bed; the beds were clean but the pillows were uneven and lumpy. Most uncomfortable.

When the AC was blowing, it was deafening, and the cold air seemed to fall right on the bed, causing us to be too cold. When it was not blowing, the room quickly got humid, causing us to be too warm. The night was spent pulling up and casting off the bed clothes.

In the morning my allergies were playing up something fierce. I again, brushed it aside, thinking that it was just the general change in climate. I had, after all, traveled from two states away.

We went into the lobby for breakfast, and a very pleasant breakfast it was. There were many items available, including a Belgian waffle maker where waffles could be cooked to order. These were accompanied by juice, hot or cold cereal, and a selection of items that could be toasted.

At breakfast I began to feel considerably better, but within 5 minutes of re-entering the room my allergies started making my life very uncomfortable. When my colleague had taken her shower, we agreed that we probably were best finding another accommodation for the second night of our stay.

The morning clerk was very pleasant, apologizing profusely, and refunded our second night without hesitation.

If the rooms could be brought up to the same standard as the customer service, this would be a very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 25, 2008

We stayed here after our car broke down and it was near the repair shop. The last room available was what we got. It was the conference room. No joke. It has Murphy beds (3 of them) that fold down out of the wall. I had only seen that in movies. At least the sheets and bathroom was clean. The rest of the furniture was really worn and run down. The heat didn't work. They had to bring us space heaters that were noisy, but kept us warm. You would think that this room wouldn't have cost the $90 total that it did! If we would have had a choice, we wouldn't have stayed. At least there was a continental breakfast that was fair and plenty of restaurant choices nearby. Friendly people in Pratt, KS though. Just a bad experience.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank cnzsmom
Reviewed November 6, 2008

For some reason I thought this was going to be a little nicer than it was. The property is located on a busy street (54), but it was not loud. There was a pallet in our room (?). Beds were marginal, continental breakfast was below average. Front office staff was very nice and the price was right. I might just drive through Pratt and try to find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)