“Would definitely stay again”

Lamplighter Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Pittsburg
Stevensville, Michigan
“Would definitely stay again”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at the Lamplighter Inn & Suites on 1-22 and wanted to commend General Manager Patty Matson and her staff for their outstanding service. I was on business and neither hotel across the street---the Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express---had capacity. I was directed to the Lamplighter and, probably because I was tired from a long week, wasn't very optimistic. To my surprise, the hotel was clean, had friendly and helpjul employees, offered lots to do and even had a free guest dinner while I was there! I cover twenty-five states for a company in southwest KS and have NEVER, in twenty-five years, heard of this! The food was good and I got to meet some of your employees. The following morning, I got up early and did some work. I ran out of coffee and, after eating breakfast, asked for another bag of coffee for the room. Tammy couldn't find one, which was no big deal. But I was amazed when she had someone personally deliver a pot of warm coffee to my room. WOW!!! I've stayed in fancier hotels but, especially for the price, this was one of my favorites! I will definitely stay there again if my travels take me to Pittsburg again in the future. With so much negativity in the world...just thought you should get some GOOD news! Have a great day!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank George W
Manager P, General Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I appreciate your kind words and praise regarding our staff and hotel. My staff and I do our best to make our guests welcome and have a pleasant stay. Guest Appreciation on Tuesdays give us a chance to do something special by serving dinner for our guest. We are remodeling and updating our sleeping and banquet rooms and they are looking fantastic. Please don't hesitate to contact me on your next trip to Pittsburg so that I can personally thank you.

Patty Matson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Emporia, Kansas
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last couple of years and have never had a bad experience. They are currently remodeling the place which will make it an even better place to stay. There staff does a great job.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Rich587
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very excited about the remodeling of our rooms. We hope you come back soon and stay in one of our remodeled rooms. Thank you for complementing our staff. We always try to give the best possible service to our customers! We hope to see you soon.
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have stayed at this motel many times. Each time a cleaning lady knocks once and then let's herself in. This happens before 9 am. I've complained to the front desk before and they just apologize for being interrupted. I stayed there last weekend and the same thing happened again! I went to call the front desk to complain but the phone was broken.

Other problems include...wallpaper peeling from the wall, a funky smell to the room and I was given a handicap room without being notified (the bed was so low to the ground). I don't think I will return again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tammy W, Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered. I have reviewed your comments with our staff and I can assure you that the issues you experienced will be corrected. We are very focused on taking care of the customer and your comments will help us improve the areas that we are lacking service and quality in our hotel.
Thank you again for your comments. Please don’t hesitate to contact me on your next trip to Pittsburg so that I can apologize to you personally and thank you for bringing our short-comings to my attention so we can correct them.

Front Desk Manager
Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Lamplighter Inn and Suites during a visit to Pittsburg State University. As soon as we opened the door to the lobby, we were greeted with a strange odor; kind of like something musty that had been unsuccessfully cleaned. Once in our room, we had the same stench, only less overpowering, so we decided to stay.

In the bathroom, my daughter found a dead bug in the toilet paper. The floors were clean, but felt like there was a sticky, undiluted cleaner on the floor. My daughter's bed blankets had a number of cigarette burns. The sink had carve marks, like somebody had diced vegetables without using a cutting board. The rooms are outside entry for the most part; many faced the courtyard and pool area, and were very nice. Ours faced the parking lot, and I didn't really feel safe, especially when I realized that there was no curb right outside our door, and a car could easily have run into our room. I didn't sleep very well worrying about that.

We were almost impressed by the breakfast. Delicious biscuits and gravy, waffles, eggs and sausage were well done and well presented. Things were looking up until I poured a cup of coffee. As I poured creamer into my cup, a dead fly came out of the jug and into my cup.

The staff was very nice, and apologetic for all of the disgusting things we experienced. Still, it just wasn't worth it. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered. I apologize for the unpleasant odors you encountered. We are in the middle of renovating our meeting rooms and guest rooms. We hope to be completed in a few months. I have reviewed your comments about the bathroom issues with our staff and I can assure you that the issues you experienced will be corrected. We are very focused on taking care of the customer and your comments will help us improve the areas that we are lacking service and quality in our hotel.

Front desk manager
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very nice for the price. Room was clean and quiet. Nice to have a refridgerator. Good breakfast variety not just stale rolls. A little disappointed the bar wasn't open. Very friendly staff. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kelly M
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am glad we met your expectations of a clean and quiet room. I hope to see you when you come and visit our hotel again. If there is anything you need, please don’t hesitate to let our staff know and we will do all we can to make your stay enjoyable.

I hope to see you again on your return trip to Pittsburg, KS. Let me know if we can do anything to improve on you stays with us.

Front desk manager
Garland, Texas, United States
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just recently visited Pittsburg State University on a college visit for my son and stayed at the Lamplighter Inn & Suites. I must say that the experience was excellent. The staff was great, the breakfast was very good with a lot to choose from, the bar was nice, and the whirlpool was just what I needed. I work for the same railroad that stays at the location, Kansas City Southern and I an so envious of the location they have there compared to what I have in Shreveport. I would definitely recommend this location to anyone needing a nice quality place to stay with an awesome staff......

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Douglas E
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! We have a great staff of people working for the Lamplighter Inn. We have a full, hot breakfast that is awesome and Mulligans is open every night but Sunday. We look forward to having you come back and see us again!
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was the only hotel available in town when we were passing through on our way home from Branson. The property is a bit dated but the rooms were decent. Room was clean. TV had multiple HBO stations which was nice since there wasn't anything else to do. Fitness center was circa 1970s with poor quality equipment. I actually skipped my daily workout during my stay, which was very disappointing. We had asked for a main floor entry room due to my elderly mother travelling with us, however we were placed on top floor with no elevator in sight. Stairs were concrete and stairs had pizza crusts tossed on them during our stay and housekeeping never cleaned it up. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful during our stay. Breakfast was awesome! Cinnamon rolls, biscuits and gravy, bottled water, fruit, oatmeal, cereals, pastries, eggs, sausage...we left feeling very full for our trip home. I think the property is probably doing the best they can given the age of the building. I felt $80+ was a bit steep for the quality we received but with a football game in town, we were left with little options, even reserving several weeks in advance. Personally, I would probably not choose to stay here again, although I think its a decent place if you need a quick bed and some breakfast while travelling through town.

Room Tip: you have to pay $10 more to have a room with interior entry which we found to be in the south 40 and...