“This town is too expensive for a small burg in Kansas.”

Super 8 Pittsburg KS
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Pittsburg
Kettering, Ohio
“This town is too expensive for a small burg in Kansas.”
Reviewed September 17, 2010

All the hotels in this town are overpriced. Stay was OK, but nothing special. Next time, I'll try the place a block up the road. A bit cheaper and just as nice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
CarolMakoui, General Manager at Super 8 Pittsburg KS, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
We are sorry to hear that your stay at the Pittsburg Super 8 did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing clean rooms, a friendly environment and superb customer service as we try to earn your “Perfect 10” during each and every stay.

We try and position our rates to be competitive within the market and offer the amenities that will be a value to our guests.

I want to thank you for your comments. Your feedback is extremely valuable as it allows me to focus my attention on the areas of concern.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Southern USA
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I don't travel a lot, so maybe some of these things are obvious to others and not me. I also don't ask a whole lot of a motel room.

Although there was no elevator (lift), the steps were indoors, so you could get to your room in safety and out of the weather.

One odd thing: no fitted sheets, so the bottom sheet kept sliding off if one were a tossing/turning sleeper.

The shower and WC in general were clean, not sparkly as the water is "hard" (minerals in it leave residue), but it was clear that the tub got scrubbed often. I liked the massage shower head, nothing fancy but felt nice, and the water was plenty and warm enough, even for my marathon 20-minute showers. The towels weren't exactly threadbare, but were NOT fluffy at all; might be again due to hard water, or maybe they are simply old and a bit worn down.

This motel is NOT for light sleepers; the walls do let you hear walking, etc.

The dorm fridge and microwave and little coffeepot, alarm clock and blow dryer were handy devices (maybe these are standard things?).

Breakfast was not spectacular, but offered a small variety. When we were there, they had available:
3 kinds of coffee
teabags
instant oatmeal
sugared cheerio-type cereal
raisin bran
plain English muffins
plain bagel
chocolate donuts
with the usual add-ons: creamer, sweeteners, jelly, peanut butter, cream cheese, etc.

The room was clean enough for me; both air and heat worked.

Loved having high-speed internet in my room!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Kansas
Reviewed September 8, 2008

There were 7 of us staying in this motel. I had called two weeks ahead of our visit to request 1st floor rooms so some of the older people would not have to climb stairs. They agreed and even sent me an email confirmation, we arrived and they said there were no 1st floor rooms available. But they had some on 2nd and 3rd floors!!!! I was not happy! We took the 2nd floor rooms, three is what we needed, we walked into one of them and the urine smell was awful. I refused to take the room and made them clan another one for us. There are spots all over the carpet, it just fel t very dirty and low budget. I will not stay there again.

• Liked — I can't think of one thing I liked, maybe leaving!
  • Disliked — Very slow check-in and not what I asked for. Terrible odor in rooms. Weak breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Pittsburg hotels

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Stayed here in May for one night. These are my brief notes and pretty much sums up this place: Rude check in staff, nice big room, not very clean, not a nice shower, average breakfast.
We had stayed at another Super 8 the previous night and had been kept awake by people moving around above us. So, when we got to this place we asked for a room on the top floor (to stop any noise from above). Well, the young girl at check in kept on saying 'Oh that's weird'. When I asked why, she said 'Well no one EVER asks to go on the top floor, that's weird'. There are 3 floors, so she did kindly put us on the 3rd floor. I then turned around to find the lift...and you guessed it, they don't have a lift! She seemed to enjoy the look on my face, but in the end we still stayed on the top floor - even though it meant hauling 3 big suitcases up there! Maybe I'm over sensitive, but I just didn't like being called weird. The funny thing was, in the end we noticed quite a few people staying on the top floor, so who knows...
The room was quite big, but wasn't overly clean and I was going to wash my hair, but didn't like the shower much.
Breakfast was OK but not the greatest selection.
Overall, it's an alright place, but probably wouldn't go back.

• Liked — Room was big
  • Disliked — Check in staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family