“45 minute wait for crispy fried chicken (even when cold!)”

Chicken Annie's Original
Ranked #10 of 63 Restaurants in Pittsburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Plano, Texas
“45 minute wait for crispy fried chicken (even when cold!)”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were there on Father's Day and there was a line. We waited 45 minutes for our table.

The onion rings and fried mushrooms were great. But the highlight was their chicken, which stayed crispy (you can still hear the crunch when you bite into it) even when cold, refrigerated from the lunch meal and eaten late at night.

Plus the long lines are sight to see in the middle of rural Kansas!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Didi P

Woodland Park, CO
“Order the Onion Rings, Trust Me!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

As we passed the Chicken Annie's sign on the highway, my husband said he'd never been there. I swear my car almost turned itself around without my help. Before we could even talk about it, we were on our way.
We arrived at the beginning of the dinner hour, so the restaurant wasn't very crowded. Kitchy chicken decor and family photos fill the place, and advertisements cover the tables throughout. We were greeted and seated with a smile, offered drinks and a small loaf of bread in slices to start with. We ordered the gizzards to start with, expecting an appetizer-sized portion. Boy were we surprised when a huge basket arrived! Yum! We got the family-style half chicken (don't bother with anything else on the menu, especially if it's your first time!) and their famous breaded crispy fried chicken came out hot and fresh! We had green beans, small salads and the cottage cheese. I really liked the green beans because they were flavored with onion and bacon, just the way I like them. But, as a bonus, our server said our meal came with onion rings. Order the Onion Rings, Trust me! Oh my goodness. Not in rings, but in strips. Real onions, battered and fried to order. So fresh and delicious. Just awesome! My husband and I joked that we could have made a meal of just the gizzards and the onion rings. Next time, we'll just ask for a few gizzards with our meal and skip the appetizer. It was just so much food!
When we went to pay at the counter, ( such very reasonable prices) we talked about where we were from, where we were headed, and the weather. All the pleasantries of a really friendly place. Congratulations to this restaurant for rising from humble beginnings and enduring the hard work and changing times while still providing great tasting food. Trip Advisor readers, if you ever find yourself in this corner of Kansas, stop in and support this great little eating place!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank KansasExplorer5115
Lawrence, Kansas
“Great Fried Chicken”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Went to Chicken Annie's and had some great fried chicken. I loved that you can get wishbones here, thought only my family cut up chicken that way. Ordered some onions and they were awesome. I got the german potato salad and my son ordered mashed potatoes, both were very good and I would recommend either. If you like fried chicken this is the place to go.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank cfhelm62
Jefferson City, Missouri
“Chicken done their way!”
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Their claim is fried chicken. This is one of those places where the locals claim is great food. It's worth eatin there once but the food is average. Not much flavor in the chicken but was cooked done. Overall I'd say go so you and tell your friends I've been there. Service was very good and helpful but that doesn't increase the flavor of the food.

Missouri
“Just Good Food”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This has been a favorites for over 35 years of mine and the chicken (wishbones) are always tender and moist. A little out of the way drive but worth it. This in not a fancy place to eat more like eating at home. Must order onions rings!!

• Visited April 2014