“Will stay here again - great hotel and value!”

Hyatt Place Kansas City/Overland Park/Metcalf
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Clean, large and modern rooms with a touch of style describes Hyatt Place hotels. We stayed in one in Santa Fe last year and loved the small touches the hotel provides like ceramic mugs in the rooms, real glasses in the rooms for water or a beverage, awesome 42 inch plasma TV with actual HD programming on it, comfy L-shaped couch, room partitioned off from living area to sleeping area, the possibility for a child to sleep on the pull out couch comfortably. Plus the breakfast is free, although you have to order and pay for any egg dishes separately. Love how you can check in or out with the self-serve kiosk in the lobby. Love the 2 newspapers you get there. This hotel is perched on top of a hill with great views. Also like how you could get a glass of wine or a drink if you forgot yours without leaving the hotel. Hip and fun and clean at a great price! Love the modern furnishings. Will always stay at the Hyatt Place in any city when we travel alone or with the kids.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lwspilates

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I wasn't expecting anything more than just a bed with a room and a bathroom but I was shocked by this room at the Hyatt! It was very clean, very modern, great layout, good cost. I really liked it. I was there for business and I was so comfortable in the room. It was like a little apartment. I enjoyed my stay very much. Great big tv. Great big comfy couch. Great big comfortable bed. Loved it! I travel here for work often and I think even if its out of my way I am going to start staying here all the time.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2011

This is a nice hotel. We've stayed in a few Hyatt Place hotels before and I like the upscale look and mini-suite feel. The room had a king bed and an L-shaped couch & ottoman. The bedroom & living area are nicely separated. There was a large flat panel TV that swivels to be easily viewed either the sitting area or the bed. The lobby is small but with a few nice common areas. If you don't care about breakfast, you will be fine. The continental breakfast is a joke. The hotel did not appear to have enough staff working to keep things stocked, there are not enough areas to sit, the food selection was lame, and the layout does not work. They were rationing butter as if it were gold. You had to ask for it and they would stingily hand you a single pat. If you come downstairs for breakfast and there are a few people already in there you might want to skip it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2011

As others have said, at first look it seems nice, lobby is small, but clean, staff courteous at check in. The rooms are getting worn. Couch a bit dingy, the shower curtain has a nice ring of black mildew across the bottom. The bath fan just a foot overhead while showering was covered in grime. The AC unit in one room couldn't be regulated, so you had to decide whether to go with freezing or overly warm. Our other room where my mother was staying had a faulty door that could not be opened until the maintenance worker threw his body against it. We then discovered the room had not been cleaned due to faulty door, but all housekeeping had left by 6pm on Saturday. We didn't ask for the room to be cleaned, just someone to bring up a couple packets of coffee and 2 new mugs, but they were so understaffed no one could bring them up. The TV in that room pixelated every few minutes. Yes, price was inexpensive, but still wasn't worth it. While I enjoyed the large space, tiny bathroom was really strange. I wouldn't recommend for business or leisure unless they do some updating. the Sheraton Convention Center was a much better experience when we've visited KC on other trips. This is the first time I've been irritated enough to bother writing a review for a hotel, for work or personal stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Very clean, elegant and large (we were in a suite). Long vanity which was nice for my granddaughter & I to spread out all our "stuff". Beds very comfortable. Bathroom, which in this case means only the shower & toilet was small - too small for my husband, who made use of the restroom off lobby. But then he's a big boy & that's the price he pays for being that big. The front desk people were very friendly & helpful. They furnished us menus for several pizza delivery places. The lobby is nicely arranged. There's a wraparound bar where breakfast is served A.M. & drinks, beer & wine is served to weary business travelers P.M. Also nice booths & tables. They have a bakery case by front desk where one can buy cookies & sweet pastries.Glad it was there so I could buy a good cookie for granddaughter to stave off her hunger until pizza arrived. It was nice to have this option.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Friendly and enjoyed the shuttle to a place near by. Location is a little out of the way but we like the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2011

The hotel is in a good location - close to lots of restaurants and provides easy access to local attractions and highways. I booked a room that was called a "suite" that would sleep 6 people, but it was a somewhat small room that has a partial wall divider between the 2 double beds and the sleeper sofa. The free breakfast was just "OK". Given the price I paid, I would have expected a better room situation.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family