“Eh, you get what you pay for...Lacking in Professionalism”

Super 8 Overland Park KC Area Near Convention Center
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Upon check in I was given a key to a room that was not made up. The check in lady simply blamed the maids.. Hummm... This isn't starting out very good... The second room was ready and okay. Smelled clean, looked clean enough. Had a flat screen tv with micro and fridge with freezer. Shower was adequate with plenty of hot water. A/C the first night kept cycling on and off and didn't cool down until the morning at which time we were freezing so we turned on the heat... Within second our smoke alarm was going of.. Great!.. turn back on the AC...

Beds were comfortable enough but there weren't enough covers... Basic sheet, lower grade spongy blanket and a colorful cover that didn't add much warmth....

After my shower that morning I went to dry my hair and knew immediately there was something wrong with the blow dryer. We wanted to get to breakfast but unlike others, we don't go to breakfast in our jammies and not ready for the day. I called down and much to her credit, it only took 10 minutes, at most, for her to get me a totally new blow dryer and attach it back to the wall. The odd thing was that when she was done she stood in front of the mirror and adjusted her blouse over her boosom (she was a little larger lady) and it was really unprofessional.

We got down to breakfast and low and behold the place is crowded and many things are out. Because it was 20 minutes until breakfast was over they wouldn't refill anything. Many people bottle necked in the corner and made it uncomfortable to move around without bumping someone with a bowl full of cereal and milk. Their entire breakfast rooms needs re arranged. Others were leaving saying they would never stay in a Super8 before.

At ten til the end of breakfast the two workers came in and added their bodies to the fray making it even more squishy, taking away the containers that were empty... I told the one gal that she should wait until 9am (when breakfast was over) before coming in and removing things... I guess the hotel industry is no longer about service...

That evening we went swimming. When it was time to get out I stepped inside to get towels. I found the attendant doing laundry in the room next door. No problem. I asked for towels and was told that she didn't have any then she proceeded to what seemed to me, raising her voice at me, telling me she didn't know where they towels were and that they were probably in the people's rooms....I told her she didn't need to yell at me but she said she hadn't... Why can't hotels have enough towels for their customers?

When we finally decided to leave the pool she was just sitting in the lounge area watching tv.. Really? Can't she find anything else to do except watch TV? It was only 9:30pm....The older women did apologize that she didn't mean to sound like she was yelling at me...I then asked for another blanket for our room and was told they were out of those too and she proceeded to tell me why they were out of them and that people steal them... More unprofessional actions. I guess if the hotel had what the customers needed then their workers wouldn't have to feel like they were making up excuses for what they were lacking.

The next morning, breakfast was a replay of the previous morning except the tables were covered with syrup and no one was wiping them down. I found a new washcloth in a drawer and proceeded to wash a couple tables that were just covered in syrup. Again, the two workers came in before breakfast was over got their breakfast and sat down. hummm.... odd.

You desperately need two waffle makers as it takes 10 minutes or more before you can get a waffle made. I just skipped them because of time.

This hotel has great potential as it's nice enough and clean enough but the hotel staff need to have some training in proper professional etiquette at the front counter and in the breakfast room. I didn't encounter any maids as I normally don't allow maids in when I'm not there.

Get more towels and blankets, re arrange your breakfast room oh, and get a screen in the window of your upstairs rooms.. That's very unsafe with windows that open. And train, train and re train your employees on proper hotel management and etiquette. Hotels are a service industry. Poor service equals poor revenue and poor reviews.

Elevator is d-a-w-g slow... The stairs are much quicker....

I will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have small children, check to make sure the windows have screen in them.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Susie G

Reviewed July 23, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed July 22, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Pragnesh N, General Manager at Super 8 Overland Park KC Area Near Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Reviewed July 22, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jerry H

Reviewed July 21, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel was excellent! The lady at the front desk was extremely friendly and helped out our group at every turn. She even checked in with us before she left for the night to make sure that we had everything we needed. Also, the rooms were in excellent condition. From the flat screen tvs to the window bed, the large rooms were extremely comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Pragnesh N, General Manager at Super 8 Overland Park KC Area Near Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for your comments and time and we will do our best to make your stay more happy

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 9, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Pragnesh N, General Manager at Super 8 Overland Park KC Area Near Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013