“Fell short but served a basic purpose.”

Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Boulevard
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have stayed at several Marriott and this one has fallen short. Checked in and as others have stated breakfast is not free. This is the only Marriott we have ever stayed at that does not have a fridge in the room. So a cooler was bought. I do not drink coffee and ask for some tea, sorry they do not carry tea, again a trip to the store for tea. Also normally there is complimentary lotions, mouthwash, shampoo, etc...yeah bring your own as not all was in the room. Asked for extra pillows and towels and got pillow only. Did get ground floor which was nice as we did ask for a lower level room.

Woke up to housekeeping, not because they knocked on our door but, because they were talking extremely loud in the hallway and laughing and such that it woke me from a sound sleep. Door did not have a good seal as light from the hallway was seen from the floor and such.When we left our first day in town there was still the housekeeping carts in the hallway, not a problem but it would have been nice to come back to a room that had been cleaned or at least bed made, trash dumped,etc. went to front desk for extra towels that night and had to wait for those. Left the second day around 8:15ish and there was never a check out slip put under our door. Got a call around noon to see if we were checking out! Shocking as we had no notice on our door not to disturb---one would think they would check the room to see if indeed someone left, which would have been evident by no luggage or any other personally belongs in the room.

Overall a 3.5 out of 5. Hotel was clean, pool and hot tub area very nice with plenty towels stocked up there..liked the extended hours. Front desk staff curteous but the extras that I am use to from this family of hotels was lacking at this specific location. Nice that it is great access to the highway, restaurants, and thankfully a 24 hour Walmart. Like that there were several different room key entrances to gain access to the inside together to our room.

Room Tip: Great price and location. Housekeeping not the best. Rooms on the west side however face metcalf ave...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a week on a business trip. Other members of my local office have already been to this location, so the staff knew their names, welcomed them back, etc. Overall, the hotel was a pleasant experience. The choices in The Bistro are limited, but well prepared. The property was clean and up-to date (except for the outdated carpet in the rooms). Cost is equal to any other mid-level hotel and it was the best of any of the three hotels I have visited this year.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Staff at this hotel is great. Jeff checked me in and helped me locate a couple of needed addresses. The property is older but has been updated quite well. Very comfortable rooms, beds are good and the room was VERY clean. I found the price to be very reasonable. Well located just off 435. Will stay here again. New dining area is comfortable but the food is a bit expensive. Several resturants nearby.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
OPCtydManager, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Boulevard, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you so much! I appreciate your great comments and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Overland Park!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I travel to Overland Park / Kansas City at least once a year, but I have never stayed at the Courtyard primarily because they don't offer a complimentary breakfast (I know...dumb!) But the large group I was coordinating suddenly found out another property nearby had lost our reservations, panic mode took hold! Blessedly I found the 10 rooms needed at the Courtyard!

The staff was amazing!!! From coordinating our large group for easy check-in and check out, to the front desk staff, housekeeping staff, and Bistro staff, this property is very well run!

The rooms are very nice. And the prices are very reasonable. I stayed in a 2-room suite, which had wonderful furnishings and plenty of space! I know the hotel was full, but I never heard people in other rooms. The property feels spread out, but it is easy to get around. And, the grounds are really nice.

The location is great for getting around all of the Overland Park / Kansas City area...and the room rates are very reasonable. A very good value.

And that whole complimentary breakfast thing...pish posh! The prices at the Bistro are very reasonable and the food is fresh and very good! A far better selection that "free" breakfasts at other places. There is only one chain that has a free-breakfast that would be better than the one here (that is not free), but that chain's room prices are much more.

Now...there are more expensive places that may be more plush. There are some in the Overland Park / KC area that may be closer to shopping areas, etc. BUT...I would strongly consider staying at this property because of the great staff, great property and rooms, and the easy access to all the best shopping, etc.

Room Tip: Just about any room in any location. If you can afford it, stay in 2-room suite. They were about...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your comments! I will make sure to share them with my staff! Hopefully we can host you and your team the next time you are in town. - Jeff

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel at 4:30pm and they maid us wait for our room even though it was suppose to be ready. So I struck up a conversation with the front desk clerk about what time and where the free breakfast started. I was then rudely informed that because we had booked our room on line they would not honor the free breakfast unless I paid an additional fee for my room. Then when we got to the room the hide-a-bed had blood on the mattress, the trash had not been dumped and there was a wire hanger on one of the lamps. When I complained all they did was change the mattress, take the trash and the hanger. No I am sorry or can move you to another room, it was here is your mattress without blood thanks. I posted the pictures on trip advisor. Buyer beware! Check the room well before you accept it.

• Stayed: June 2012
OPCtydManager, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Boulevard, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

I would like to personally apologize for your experience at my hotel as this is definitly not the normal. I would like to the opportunity to address your concerns directly. At your convenience, please e-mail me at jeff.miles@marriott.com.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife, 4 year-old son, and I stayed at this hotel recently when visiting family. Despite it's address being on Metcalf (a very busy street), it's set back from the road and is actually very quiet and peaceful. The lobby was nice and the rooms were as well though they need to get someone to fix the screen door that leads to the deck off our room. It wasn't just torn a bit, it was so loose it was flapping in the wind. All in all, the property was what I expect from Marriott. I should add that I was able to get a great weekend rate through an aggregator so I really can't speak to value at their standard price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel. I hope to see you again the next time you are in the Overland Park/Kansas City area!

Jeff - General Manager

Reviewed August 10, 2012

quite expensive for the service they offer. rooms are large and confortable with a lot of amenities. breakfast is good. we were there for business so we choose that hotel mainly for the location. conditioning works well. so nothing bad, just a little expensive (as usual for Marriott).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business