“Great Hotel!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Overland Park
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I can't say enough great things about this hotel! We were greeted with a smile and a quick check-in. I had hotel points so my stay only cost me $17. I would have paid over $100 for the night easily and felt that I robbed the place! We had a king room on the first floor. Pets are allowed so that made it even better as we had to take our little dog on this trip. The room was spacious, and immaculate. Clean is mandatory to me so this was excellent. The mattress was very comfortable and I needed a good night's sleep. The hotel was fairly quiet considering there were alot of families and children there for the weekend. The lobby was very nicely decorated and the courtyard included a very nice looking pool. I wished we weren't just staying one night as I would have loved to stay longer. The breakfast was the best I have had at a LaQuinta. I don't care for the egg "rounds" but everything else was very good. The muffins and bagels were very fresh. The coffee pot was empty but I asked and it was immediately replaced by a hot, fresh pot. I will definitely stay here again and highly recommend this place if you are just passing through, here on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

A TripAdvisor Member
Catoosa, Oklahoma, USA
Reviewed July 28, 2012

we stayed in the king suite. we had three kids with my wife and I. the room was very spacious and with two kids it would have been perfect since there was a pull out bed with kitchenette. with three kids we gave up the kind size bed and slept. in the pullout bed and it wasn't nearly as comfortable as the king bed but overall a nice experience. it is in an area with several restaurants and availability to the highway. We definitely recommend.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and two teenaged sons spent the night at this location while at a baseball tournament nearby. Upon arrival, they did not have my reservation, which was included in a block of rooms reserved by our team. I showed them my phone where I had made the phone call several weeks ago to the hotel to book and there was no problem getting me a room at the group rate. They don't offer email confirmations and I didn't have my confirmation number on me. She offered no explanation for the lost reservation, but she did quickly get us a room. The hotel layout, while it appeared it would be very simple since all the rooms surrounded a courtyard, was a little confusing inside. Floor levels changed since the building was on a slope so it took a little getting used to.

The beds were surprisingly comfortable even though the mattresses tended to dip and sink in a bit. I found it strange that there were three pillows on each double bed. We asked for two more at the front desk. Nice down pillows. My boys typically bring their X-Box for late night playing after a baseball game; however, this location had it's own pseudo-gaming system already hooked to the TV. I suppose they wanted you to purchase their games and so there was no way to hook up the X-Box. No in-room wi-fi.

It was extremely hot weather and the rooms had the old interior wall unit A/C units. It ran constantly and loudly. It would flip off, and then flip back on within 10 seconds. Kept us awake most of the night, but had the weather not been 97 degrees, I doubt it would have had to work that hard. It never got quite cool enough in the room for us and we slept without blankets. It wasn't unbearable, just a bit warm.

I didn't really enjoy the shower. The drain was broken so I had to manually reach down and remove it to keep water from filling up (gross), and while showering there was a little ew factor when I found myself staring at some of a previous guest's hair stuck to the shower walls. There were two temperatures to the shower.... Arctic Circle and Hell. Very little water pressure.

The room was clean and surprisingly spacious and decently appointed. Sheets were clean and the room didn't smell musty at all. The common areas needed a bit of updating, including the hallways and room unit signs. (Taped paper signs? Really?) The pool area needed some ground maintenance and there were also no pool towels available.

I suppose the part I was mainly unhappy with was the breakfast lady. Complimentary breakfast is served at 6 am through the week, but 7 am on the weekends. Unfortunately, our team had to play at 8 am on Sunday so needed to be at the field by 7 am. We didn't know the game time when we booked the rooms and we always try to find a place with a breakfast so our boys can get energized before they play. At 6:40 am, a couple of our boys went down and found some dry cereal available on the bar. The breakfast employee was working and getting things ready. They asked her for some milk. Without a word and only a simple glare she pointed to a sign with the breakfast times displayed. We asked again, politely, if she could please make an exception since the boys had to get to the field and didn't have time to wait until 7 am. All they wanted was a little milk for their cereal. The lady finally relented and said she would bring them some. At 6:55am she finally brought out a carafe of milk for the boys, who then scarfed their cereal and headed out to the ball park as the lady put all the breakfast items out within about five minutes. We thought, "wow." We just paid for 14 rooms at this hotel and we couldn't even get a little milk because it was before 7 am. That's certainly not a way to ensure our team or any of the 14 families come back to this hotel again. Rudeness is never acceptable. I personally ate the breakfast at a later time and I always love the fresh waffles. There were preformed scrambled egg rounds, sausage links and carafes of water, milk, and juice. Coffee was mediocre, but at least there was real half-n-half instead of the powdered stuff. I only ate the waffle so can't attest to what anything else tasted like.

Aside from the breakfast issue, I'd recommend the hotel for a one night stay for a family who really isn't planning to spend a whole lot of time in the room. It offers a decent rate and what I feel is an average stay.

Room Tip: Some double rooms have a balcony that overlooks the pool and courtyard. There is no price differenc...
2  Thank Rachel C
Seattle, Washington, USA
Reviewed July 14, 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Englewood, Colorado, USA
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I based my stay on the reviews here, but this time the reviews were dead wrong for my stay and I think I know why. I booked through a 3rd party and the hotel did not like it.

We arrived on a day that had been 107 degrees in Overland Park at around 8 PM. Upon opening the front door I was greeted by a musty smell, which went away quickly when I entered the lobby. I got us checked in and was told we would be on the 3rd (top) floor.

We took the elevator up and was greeted by a flood of hot air as soon as the elevator door opened. If I was to guess, I would say it was probably around 85 degrees at this point. As we walked down the hallway the temperature steadily rose. We got to our room (the next to last room in the hallway and the temperature by this time had rose to probably 90 degrees. There was no ventilaton whatsoever. My wife and I looked at each other and she stated she was scared what the room would be like. I opened the door and it was ready to go, with cool air cranked (something I usually do not see).

The room was clean, albeit a little dated from the late 70's early 80's, and we had a dog next door to us barking.

My family was hungry so we left to go eat and when we returned about 9:30, we were greeted by the same barking dog next door. We went ahead to get ready for bed as we had to be across town early. My wife commented that it did not seem as cool, so I go up and turned the AC down from 62 to 60 degress, however it was barely blowing any air out.

We went to bed and I woke up extremely hot at 3 am. Air was still cool, however, it was blowing so little it was not cooling the room off. Since it was 3 am, I was not going to move my family since they were still asleep.

The next morning we went down to the free breakfast. I was under the assumption it was going to be pretty decent, and the continental portion was not bad, although the waffle machine did not indicate when it was ready and the toaster only worked on one side. Bacon and eggs were odd though. Bacon was extremely thin (you could literally see through it) and the eggs were pancake shaped objects.

After breakfast I went to the front desk to let them know they needed to look at the AC in our room. She looked up the room number and said "Oh, I'm sorry there is nothing I can do about it, you booked through E*pedia". I was confused on how my booking through E*pedia made any difference, to which she could not answer except by saying it just does.

This made me frustrated because I was not wanting anything in return, but she was not going to do anything to get the AC fixed either. So, knowing LaQuinta has a 100% satisfaction gaurantee, I brought that up and once again it meant nothing to her because I did not book through LaQuinta or the Hotel.

So, I came home and called the Customer Service line who said the Hotel would call me within 3 days to discuss the problems. Guess what, they didn't. So I called back and got the same great lady (seriously) on the hot line and she was hacked about the fact they did not call. So in return for their not calling, she sent me a free nights voucher and reported the hotel to the District Manager.

I am pretty sure they knew they were putting me in a bum room and knew it. Which really sucks, because if this would not have happened, I would have been OK with the place.

Room Tip: Call the front desk during the summer and ask for a first floor room. It is an open floor plan whic...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family