“No water pressure, bill was wrong gave me wrong room”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Overland Park
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Wichita
“No water pressure, bill was wrong gave me wrong room”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

First of all it is hard to find without a GPS. Next the front desk clerk argued with me at check in for my AARP or AAA card when I reserved the room without any discount! I was given a queen room (looked and felt like a double bed!) when I was supposed to have a King bed. La Quinta's are supposed to be pet friendly but they have no real pet area to walk your dog, being a hilly area it is difficult to find a area to walk a dog. About 4 am I as woken up by my dog after the person putting the bill under my door being too loud! Took a shower with very low water pressure. The best thing came at 11:55 am (when check out is listed as 12 noon) when two employees loudly knocked on my door wondering why I am still there and seemed to be upset that I would actually check out at the noon time! So know its time to go to the front desk and make a few complaints... that bill they slid under the door was about $2 too much, plus I complained about the door knocking, the bed size and water pressure for a whopping $5 off including the $2 they over charged... I would think twice next time or leave the dogs at sitter and stay at Drury Inn next time

Room Tip: leave your dog at home and stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I flew to Kansas City for the weekend to attend a Chiefs game. I chose this hotel because, on another site, it had almost 300 reviews and a rating of 4.5. I figured how could that many people be wrong? They were not! The staff was extremely friendly, the rooms were very comfy, and the breakfast was generic but yummy. The front desk staff was always polite and helpful. Our room was clean, and the bed was cozy. We had a balcony that overlooked the pool courtyard, which would be really cool in the summer; it was, however, neat to see all the snow! The breakfast area was well-stocked and clean. Plus, I appreciate any hotel that always has fresh coffee in the lobby! There are also plenty of stores and restaurants around if you have some down time. There were a couple of downsides that may or may not have been the fault of the hotel. There were numerous ice machines that were out of order during our stay. The jacuzzi was also not working. The walls were quite thin. I was awakened at 6:30 Saturday morning to the people carrying on next door, yelling, using the hair dryer, and slamming doors. I realize that these people were just extremely inconsiderate, but I know a lot of reviewers take that stuff into consideration. Overall, this hotel was an amazing setting at an even more amazing price! I highly recommend it!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Stayed in a suite. Clean and simple. Bed was ok, but agree with others that they sag in the middle. Interesting is that there is no information in the room about breakfast, pool hours, checkout time etc. When put a do not disturb sign on the door, I received a postcard from housekeeping telling me that I could pick up towels at the front desk. When I changed the sign to clean room, it was done later in the day. Just thought the postcard was different. Breakfast was ok, similar to others, with waffles, cereal, biscuits and gravy. Overall the hotel is pretty well maintained. Could use some attention to details, but the value is great. Lots of space at a very reasonable price. Would probably stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Alma, KS
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We stayed for one night and found the accomodations just right. The location was a little difficult to find...off the main road but that probably made for a quieter sleep. We would definitely consider using this hotel again if we are in the area. The breakfast was really good but was not available until 7:00 on Saturday; 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. would be much better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Omaha, NE
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We traveled to the KS/MO many times each year. We always have our dogs in tow. Our stays have been hit and miss because it seems that pet-friendly hotels aren't always "human friendly". This LaQuinta was definately a hit.
We arrived late Friday, the employee at the front desk (Tim) was friendly, pleasant and efficient. We were quickly on our way to our room. I mentioned to my traveling partner that they had two room suites for not too much more $. He went to the front desk and asked about availability; Tim said a suite would be much more comfortable for us (traveling with a pack of dogs) and moved us.
The suite was just that, two separate rooms instead of a larger room occasionally named a "suite". Everything was clean, there was a fridge, microwave, sink and ample cabinet space in the living area. The bed was soft and linens adequate. There were very small maintenance issues; i.e. our bathroom door did not lock, parking lot was very dimly lit. The few small things would have done nothing, in our opinion, that outweighed the good points of this hotel.
There was an outdoor courtyard that is probably lovely in the summer, the pool is there and it is all completely enclosed.
The breakfast area was expansive and neat as a pin. The offerings at breakfast were sufficient.
The location was central to shopping, entertainment and restaurants. It would be a hike to any of the above and not something you would want to do in the heat of summer or dead of winter.
This is not a luxury hotel where one might spend a honeymoon but a great family hotel, and great pet hotel.
We intend to return to this LaQuinta again and again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Ames,Iowa
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We made reservation for one night (9/24/10) but ended up staying for two as we loved this place. The evening manager at check-in is the most pleasant person I have met in a long time. He went out of his way to help us in several items during our stay.
The free breakfast was very good also with a lot of choice such as cereal, breads, muffins, OJ ,milk and fruits. The best part of the experience is the breakfast area which is very nicely laid out with a lot of sitting place surrounded by a garden view on one side.
The only problem was the employees at the breakfast area who feigned not knowing English. They should be supervised somewhat to ascertain that they were bring out the food items properly and not rationing at their will.
There were some maintenance problems with the property although it did not bother us too much. The hallway carpet for instance could use a good steam cleaning.
Overall the hotel is good value for the area it is located in. We enjoyed the senior (AARP) discount which made it even more attractive.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed at the La Quinta hotel in Overland Park for 4 nights. This hotel is very nice, clean and a good value for the price. The front desk was very helpful, so check in was quick and easy. Our room was roomy, very quiet and became very dark (when you closed the curtains) so we slept very well. The complimentary breakfast was good. My only complaint was that the free internet connection did not work. We were given the service number to call to get connected but even that did not work after several attempts. So I could not get my email or any of my work done (that required my computer). We would stay there again but for this big issue.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple