“Nice and Cheap - Good for a Quick Stop”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
“Nice and Cheap - Good for a Quick Stop”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I stopped here for a quick stay while on a road trip, and so I just needed a place that was simple, clean, and cheap. This place fit the bill perfectly.

The nightly rate was easily the lowest among similar priced lodging choices in the area. It's located about a mile or so off the Interstate, so it's not quite as convenient as other choices that were right next to the highway. But the short drive was worth it. The neighborhood was a mix of residential and commercial and seemed pleasant enough - not fancy, but not rundown. I got in around 1 am and it was all very quiet. I walked a few blocks up and down the streets early in the morning and never felt the least bit unsafe.

The room itself was simple and what you'd expect from this class of lodging. Amenities included cable TV, a mini fridge, a microwave, and free wireless Internet (though I didn't try this out). It contained some obviously older furnishings, but still quite clean and unbroken. Again, just simple and clean.

They served free breakfast which consisted of waffles, cereals, breads, biscuits and gravy, juices, milk, and coffee. No fruit was out when I was there, and I didn't really like the look of the gravy so I passed on that. There was an outdoor swimming pool there as well which looked decent enough. I didn't try it myself.

They do tack on an odd $1.50 safe fee, which you can get refunded if you ask when you check out. So don't forget to check your itemized bill before you leave.

All in all, it's what I would expect and need from a quick and cheap one nighter in transit from one place to another. I would recommend it for that purpose only. If I were to stay a while, I'd probably choose something higher end just because I like some nicer amenities if I'm actually going to spend any significant time somewhere. And I don't know that this is actually near anything worth visiting.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
oklahom
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We arrived and checked in, temperatures was in the 20's and the room was so cold you could almost see your breath. You could see daylight below the door and around the heater in the wall. After 2 hours the room was still cold. Computer connection was so weak you couldn't keep connected, the microwave was noisy and the bottom of the bathtub was either stained or dirty to the point I would not have taken a bath in it. Checked out after 2 hours of freezing and cancelled the rest of my reservation at which point I had to pay for one nights stay. They had already billed my credit card for three nights. Then they charged me again for another night and afterwards charged me another 2 nights. All total they charged my credit card 4 times. Spent the next days trying to recoup my money on my credit card. I was suppose to be relaxing and taking it easy after 2 medical procedures.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank OklahomaSqueekie
Mattoon, Illinois
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My wife and I stayed here, checking in with a travel coupon. Our room was clean, new furnishings, microwave, fridge, large tv, newly decorated. It is 2 story, w/ no elevator, but good clean stairways. The front staff was very friendly. The outdoor pool was a little cool, clean and well maintained. Breakfast was B/G, waffles, cereal, rolls, fruit. One of the better Econo's, so we would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Mission, Kansas
Reviewed January 23, 2009

I had been staying at the Econo Lodge for almost two years when I was in Overland Park on business trips, even when it was called the Howard Johnson. The staff couldn't be beat. They knew me by name, and were always friendly and extremely professional. I would reserve multiple rooms at a time and they would always have keys ready for me and my coworkers upon our arrival. The new owners decided to fire all of these wonderful people and bring in a new team of people who don't know anything about running a motel. I waited for ten minutes for two front desk clerks to figure out how to print a receipt before I gave up and left. If this is how it's going to be from now on, I will not stay there again. The rooms are very nice and the price is excellent, but if service is what sells you, look elsewhere!

• Liked — The rooms are remodeled and very nice.
  • Disliked — The new owners and staff are not up to par with what they replaced!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hotels_qis
WoodSpring Suites Kansas City Mission
Days Inn Overland Park
Days Inn Overland Park
#28 of 37 in Overland Park

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission

Property: Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Address: 7508 Shawnee Mission Pkwy, I-35 East / Shawnee Mission, Overland Park, KS 66202-3058
Location: United States > Kansas > Overland Park
Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Hotel Class:2 star — Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Choice Hotels, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Howard Johnson Overland Park