“Not a bad Sheraton”

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Denver, Colorado
“Not a bad Sheraton”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in July, 2012. Overall, everything was satisfactory. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was not overly impressive, but not disappointing either. The shower rod in the bathroom was loose and needs attention from the maintenance staff, but aside from that the room itself was in good shape. The walls are very thin, so you hear every door open & close in the hallway; bring earplugs.
The hotel bar & lounge area was nice, but the drinks were incredibly overpriced, even for a hotel. The outdoor patio area is quite comfortable, and a nice place to socialize with family and friends. The hotel is centrally located in the Overland Park area, with direct access to the main freeway, 435.
The breakfast in the hotel restaurant was good, with a large number of options to choose from. However, if you're looking for good food, Kansas City has far better options outside of the hotel.

Room Tip: The walls are quite thin, so bring earplugs or go to bed slightly buzzed.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
BruceBoettcher, General Manager at Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Good Morning from the Sheraton Overland Park. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was glad to hear everything was satisfactory and you enjoyed our spacious, clean, comfortable room. We reviewed your comments this morning during our operations meeting and I was a little disappointed that we didn’t WOW you.....not overly impressive but not disappointing either. We will have our engineering team tighten the shower curtain in your room.
Again thanks for the feedback as this is the only way we know what improvements our customers are looking for....hope to see you at Sheraton OP real soon.
Safe Travels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here on a weekend while we were in town for a Royals game, and it was a pleasant stay. Our room was great and very quiet, and the free parking was great. We stayed in a club level room so had access to the lounge- breakfast wasn't great, but it was nice being able to enjoy a soda or water during the day. It isn't real close to the Kansas City attractions, but we would still consider staying here again. Overall, I would recommend it again.

Room Tip: The club level rooms are on the top floors, so they have a nice birds-eye view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
BruceBoettcher, General Manager at Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Nice Hotel
Thanks for the feedback, I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know about your Royals weekend. Glad to hear you enjoyed the club level with all the additional amenities. See you on your next visit to KC.
Reviewed July 28, 2012

No room service after midnight. Joke. No water in room. Bs for price. Cold hospitality. Called at ten past midnight. Go to three stars. Trying to have a special occasion and no help. Welcome to holiday inn. So disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. We review our customers comments daily and are sorry for your disappointment. I especially am concerned about the cold hospitality. I realize in this business and others that unfortunately things don’t always go as planned, but there is never an excuse for attitude.
Again I apologize for your disappointment and assure you that your comments are reviewed as we continue to improve our services.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
Regards
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We spent one night at this hotel.
Parking was easy, no issues. Check-in was easy, the employee at the desk was very courteous and efficient.
Our room was another story. When we went up to the room there was a dirty wine glass on the floor in the hallway, which made me worry the room was dirty. The room appeared to have been serviced, but it had a terrible odor. To me it smelled like old cigarette smoke mixed with mildew. We were in a hurry to get to dinner so we didn't attempt to address it at that time.
When we reurned from dinner the smell was still quite apparent. I found it difficult to sleep because I felt like the room was dirty. There were stains down the side of the mattress and stains on the bed skirt. The hair dryer would not stay plugged in - I had to take it into the bedroom and use another socket. Internet cost $10 so I simply ran data on my phone.
I was extremely disappointed in this hotel, and based on this experience I would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Good Morning from the Sheraton Overland Park:
I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback. Feedback is the only way we are able to discover what experiences our guests are having. It was nice to hear about the easy of parking and the arrival process. I am very disappointed with the comments about a dirty wine glass in the hallway, the cigarette smell in your room, the stains on the bed skirt, and the fact your hair dryer would not work in the socket.
We review all comments daily during our operations meeting and this proved to be very embarrassing to all. We pride ourselves as being a very well maintained and clean property. I promise your experience is not the norm.
Please reach out to me the next time you have plans to visit the area as I want to prove that your comments have been corrected.
Again thank you for the feedback.
Safe Travels.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is an awesome place if you are travelling with a pet. It is exceptionally nice if not. They have a pet walking area. They have convenient parking. The staff is at your beck and call. There is a PetsHotel very near by, so this is our choice when we are in the Kansas City area. Luxury!!!

Room Tip: We were on the concierge level and they have a fully stocked soda/water cooler that can be accessed...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Good Morning from the Sheraton Overland Park. Thanks for your feedback it's great to hear you enjoyed your stay at our Pet Friendly Hotel.
See you soon....
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel four nights while at a conference in the area. This may be a hotel more suited for the business traveler, but my family and I had a fabulous stay there. Clean rooms, Great restaurants, and exceptional service! We would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed July 2012
Thanks for the great feedback as this helps motivate the team to a higher level of service. I was glad to hear you enjoyed your four day meeting and even more so to hear you brought the family and they had fun.
Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how we are doing.
St. Louis
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've stayed at some really great properties, and some not so hot properties, so my perspective is pretty even across the board, I can say. The Sheraton in O.Park has some wonderful aspects, but they are often weighed down by small downfalls that tend to just make it an average stay overall.

First, the good:
1. The lobby is lovely, and the pool and workout areas and nicely appointed.

2. My husband had no trouble with check in - we were traveling with our dog, and it was a non-issue from the very start.

3. The rooms are well appointed. This isn't Four Seasons, but it is comfortable. Bath amenities are nice as well and include a nail file kit as well as a shower poof - two things often forgotten by road-warriors, so that is a nice insight.

4. We stayed on the club level and the late afternoon refreshments were nice, as was the breakfast in the morning. Plenty of options and the food was tasty. Menu for breakfast included eggs with peppers, assorted breakfast sausages, steel cut oats with all the trimmings, lovely fruit displays, yogurt, cereal, pastries, and fresh coffee/tea. Afternoon snacks included cheese, assorted crackers, lovely fruit and vegetables, coffee, tea, and cookies. Might be nice if they decided to include a house red and white from 5-6 or something like many other club level hotels do. Just a thought... Overall, the club level amenities were worth the price.

5. There is a nice large outdoor area for pets with doggie bags, etc. There is no fencing and it buts right up against the valet garage, so you will need to be on watch for your dog if you let him/her off leash, etc.

6. The lounge has a nice view since it is elevated and isn't actually on ground level. Great spot to sit and enjoy a cocktail...

The not so hot:
1. For a hotel that advertises as being pet friendly, it should really be called "pet tolerant". They stated on the phone that dog beds would be available, but they were never offered. The reservation made mention of our dog, and the hotel clerk at check in had to be reminded by us that we needed to sign the release. They offer dog beds, but no dog bowls? That seems a strange oversight and something that could easily be changed to be more on par with other dog-friendly chains like Kimpton, etc. We asked the concierge if they had any recs for dog walkers nearby, etc, and they had no recs, let alone were willing to look into it for us. Just seemed strange. Either embrace the pet culture or don't, the middle ground is just average.

2. Since they list themselves as a pet friendly hotel, we thought perhaps the outdoor lounge would be pet friendly as well. We thought wrong. The only "pet friendly" place in the property is your room, the outside dog area, and I suppose the lobby while you walk fido to and from your room. Again, just strange. If you have a well behaved dog, why aren't they allowed to sit at your feet outside while you have a bottle of wine? Sheraton lost our salem because we didn't want to sit in the room and have a cocktail, so we packed up the pooch and drove to another nearby spot for a nightcap.

3. We had dinner at the restaurant on property, on a Friday night, around 8pm. It was almost empty save for another couple across the room. Our server was definitely green, and did not know any of the wine list. After placing our orders, he came back twice to confirm the wine/beer choices we had. Then, he proceeded to pour my husband's beer into the glass, but overflowed the glass. While it was draining onto the table, he remarked "oh well - thought I had it." He left to go get a rag and never returned, leaving my suit-clad hubby to mop up beer on our table with the napkin from the neighboring table. Just strange.

4. Food at the restaurant was just okay. It sounds great on paper, and I like the way they are going with the menu, but the execution was off. We ordered a pair of salads, and the lettuce was wet, forcing the dressing to slide off into a puddle on the plate. My shrimp scampi that was scripted to come "in a light white wine and butter sauce" was a thick, almost cream based goopy mess. Though, side props to Sheraton - I wanted to sub in vegetables for the pasta, and they happily accommodated - go chef! Everything was lacking in spice and salt, and it all just seemed a little half assed, for lack of a better term.

5. When we returned to the hotel room, we noticed a card shoved under the remote control allowing us 20 percent off a dinner in the hotel restaurant. When my husband went down to see if they would honor it, they would not. Again, not like the 20% made or broke my night, but it's just small touches that might have been handled differently. Perhaps no to the 20% off, but maybe they'll send up coffee in the am? I mean, seriously Sheraton.

6. The rooms, while nicely appointed, had very thin walls and doors. We could hear every door slamming shut throughout the day/night, and even the showers and toilets turn on/flush in the surrounding rooms. I'm sure this isn't something they can change overnight, but if they are considering an overhaul it might be nice to tuck some more insulation in those walls, at least on the water pump booster floors.

Overall, if you need to stay in this part of town, and have kids that would enjoy the pool, or want a nice room and good workout facilities, this is a good deal. Sheraton could do a few easy and inexpensive changes to really take this from a 3 star to a 4 star overnight.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank citychicgal
Thank you for your feedback......your comments will certainly help drive improvement in our pet offerings and F&B operations.
Again thank you for taking the time to write.