“Working in Overland Park”

Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn was a good choice for for my wife and I when I had to spend a week at the corporate headquarters in Kansas City. The staff was courteous, the facility was clean and well appointed. Breakfast was good and the location was handy for me with our offices nearby. The beds were great and we especially appreciated the quality pillows.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Pros: Great customer service on Sunday afternoon 8/26 when I arrived; I was able to check in early; the room was clean; updated flat screen TVs; internet connection worked without issue; wide bright hallways. Cons: I did not receive my USA Today at my door on any of the days that I stayed; furniture needs an update; too small work out room (which is generally the case for these trypes of hotels that have not gone through a recent renovation) and in general, the area -while within a few minutes drive of restaurants and shopping centers -- was a little "boring", That neing said, the hotel is situated right next to a conference center so should you be attending an event here, then the location is perfect. The fact the stff missed placing the USA Today at my door on all days of my stay was really surprising. There was just nothing very exciting about this hotel -- the furnishings and the decor was showing its age. Would I recommend someone to stay here? Purely if they needed a place for the night or if they needed to be at the convention center. This is not an impressive property so if I would not direct folks to this place is my intent was to impress them. However, if you are in the area for business and just plan on using your room for work or sleep, then this place ifs fine.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have stayed at many Hilton Garden Inns and have stayed at this one several times in recent years. But this stay has not been as satisfactory as prior times. The hotel is definitely showing signs of aging and not as up-to-date as other Hilton Garden Inns. As my family was staying for five days and nights we booked a suite and were dismayed to find out we were given a handicapped suite which not only made it unavailable for someone who is handicapped but also was inconvenient for us. The shower and tub were hard to use and the bathroom sink was miniscule with almost no counterspace. The hotel was booked solid so we could not get another suite. The sofabed had as poor a mattress as one can find. The sheets on the king-sized bed did not fit the bed at all and pulled off every night until I eventually begged for linens that would fit. The bedroom and the suite area each had a different type of thermostat making it difficult to keep the temperature consistent throughout our space. Also, the air conditioning unit was so loud you could either stay awake all night from the noise or close the ac and stay awake all night because it was too hot. Overall the place was clean but showing signs of wear and tear. The staff was pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Walt S, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including items of opportunity. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reserved room type. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. We also apologize for the noise of the air conditioning unit disrupting the comfort of your stay. We will look into these problems and address these for the next guests. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

this hotel is maintained beautifully & make their guest feel special in lovely surroundings, excellent service beyond the call of duty and WITH a good attitue & great price. Thank you for a lovely evening after a tiring day on the road.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We checked in early (1:00), but that was no problem.. our room was ready and waiting for us. Front desk was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good, about par for HGI.

The surrounding area has loads of restaurants and shopping. Not walking distance, but within a mile or two.

Room Tip: Lots of construction summer of 2012 across the street to the south... jackhammers start at 6:30 am...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2012

A nice clean and quite hotel located in the Overland Park Area of Ks. Was in the area for a short stay and arrived early in the day, the front desk went out of their way to get a room ready for me and allowing an early check-in so I could get changed and to what I needed to do.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The reason I chose this hotel other than location was for the opportunity to try out their "sleep system" beds that could be adjusted to accommodate individual choices. Unfortunately I couldn't perceive any adjustment difference no matter what setting I applied to the mattress. Never the less the mattress was still comfortable without any adjustment. The room and hotel all seemed very clean to me. I thought the amenities were all very good. Microwave, coffee pot, mini frig and free internet made me feel at home. The only snafu of any consequence was that originally we were assigned a room that was already occupied. The people in there did invite us to their party. Once we got our own room, our stay was very pleasant. The free breakfast buffet was very good but I think it was part of a weekend package we got and not always free. ( I could be wrong). All in all the was a very good place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family