“Great Birthday Dinner”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 490 Restaurants in Overland Park
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 89th
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week and lunch banquets. Reservations are recommended
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Having never been to J Gilbers before I was pleasantly surprised. I received a Birthday card from them because I joined their birthday club. I took my son who told me about the birthday gift from them. We got there still during happy hour and ordered a martini before dinner some Martini's are reduced price during happy hour. We both ordered the filet, different sizes with the scallops and two sides. The steaks and scallops we great sides we a bit small. Asparagus was 4 very slender pieces and my risotto was over done. My son also had the Crab Biqsue it was really nice. I really appreciated the slice of chocolate cake given to me for my birthday. Thank you J Gilbert's for my birthday meal and cake. I will be back.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great steak house! Try the chips with the blue cheese-- they are amazing!

We got the three course meal that comes with the salad, choice of entree (choose steak, obviously) and a dessert and all of it was great. My husband was shocked when he actually really got a medium rare steak instead of really medium or more like a rare... it was perfect!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The appetizers are varied and wonderful, the drinks well-made and stout, and the steaks never fail to be tender and full of flavor. We've enjoyed J. Gilbert's on Thanksgiving as well. Late in the evening, the restaurant opens offering traditional holiday fare as well as the fine steaks they're known for. The wine selections are outstanding, too.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

All I can say is that J. Gilbert's is our 'go to' restaurant for 'the best steak in the Kansas City area'! The small fillet may not be big on size but the tender meat melts in your mouth. Side dishes complement the main course and create a memorable meal to share with friends and family. We've eaten there for years and NEVER been dissatisfied.

1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had my birthday dinner here with my husband, and it was so close to being a perfect dining experience. First of all, we had a reservation and were running late. We called to let them know, but we ended up running later than we expected (approximately 30 minutes after our reservation) but they still managed to have an excellent table waiting for us. I commend them for this, especially being a busy saturday night. I enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant and the fact that you don't have to sit right next to other diners. We tried a shrimp appetizer and both ordered the "pre-fix" 3 course dinner. We tried the crab bisque soup, the wedge salad, and we both ordered a filet with our preference of sides and we both got dessert. All of the food was delicious, the only problem was that my husband was brought out the wrong steak and it took 7-8 minutes to get the problem corrected, all the while my steak was cooling down. We ended up spending $100+ on the meal, and were not offered any type of discount or complementary dessert. Our server apologized, however I do not feel that was enough considering the scale and price of the dining experience. The server doing a better job of acknowledging their mistake would have taken this experience from 4 stars to 5 stars easily. I cannot deny the food was delicious, but I cannot say without a doubt that we will go back.

P.S. Isn't this restaurant located in Overland Park?