“An Outstanding Hotel Choice”

Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed July 31, 2013

There are many good lodging options in Overland Park, KS; however, I am more than thrilled with my selection of Hyatt Place and what they had to offer.

The location is ideal just off the Nall Street exit off of I-435. Parking was free and plentiful. Everything in Overland Park (a big area) was easy to get to. East/west streets are numerical, so it wasn't hard to figure out how to get from the hotel (110th street) to 119th street and the outdoor shopping/restaurant area.

My room was a suite. The sitting room had a "L" shaped couch of which part of the "L" was a sleeper sofa. Very modern decor with nooks and slots built into the walls for storage. No dresser meant much more room to move about (when most travelers are staying 1-3 days, nobody really empties out all their clothes anymore). Sink, small fridge, a countertop for incidentals, and coffee maker. A large, flat screen TV that swiveled and was easily seen from the bed as well as the couch. There was a what's called a "modestly" dividing wall between the bed area and living area (not a studio suite nor a real one bedroom suite); it worked fine. A separate "get ready" sink and mirror from the doored-off toliet area (every hotel should do that!). A heated tile bathroom floor. Very good shower water pressure. My only hint of a complaint would be the sink water was not as cold upon the tap being turned on and brushing your teeth was done with luke-warm water.

The lobby is very enviting. Modern with good indirect lighting. Copies of the Wall Street Journal for free. A small business center and nook for TV watching rounded it out.

The morning breakfast was outstanding. Three hot plates with rotating items. Pancakes, scrambled eggs, and hand-made breakfast sandwiches were the items available on day #1 while day #2 had french toast, an open-faced croissant with egg, spinach, and mushrooms, and scrambled eggs. Another station had the normal "grains" section (cereal, breads, muffins), while the fruit section had fresh grapefruit sections and a cantelope/melon mix.

I did not use the outdoor pool, but sat beside it while reading a magazine. No hot tub, which seemed odd, especially for spring/fall nights when the temperature is not condusive to outdoor swimming. The exercise room had the usual tread mill but surprised me with the inclusion of some free weights. An excellent touch.

Finally, I paid $99 using Priceline Negotiator. I came away feeling like I got the bargain of the year. The weekend I was there, the rack rate was $139 and in retrospect, I would have said it was easily worth that price. Yet, when I saw that there were four 3.5 star hotels in the area on Hotwire for $109, I went to Priceline in an attempt to lower that and was successful (I correctly guessed that the Hyatt Place would be one of them via reading the website BetterBooking.com)

Room Tip: There is only one elevator and it is located in the middle of the facility. So, my suggestion is to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lee C
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We spent one night here and completely enjoyed our stay. The staff is friendly and professional. The hotel is extremely clean which is one reason I would return and stay again. The room is nice with a refrigerator, wet bar, desk and mini sitting area. The vanity area, which is outside of the bathroom, is a nice size. However, the bathroom itself is small. My family enjoyed breakfast the next morning which consisted of eggs, sausage, pancakes, fruit, oatmeal, cold cereals, Starbucks coffee, juice and milk. When in the Overland Park area, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Spent 3 days here and it is a very clean hotel. They have a nice selection of breakfast items to choose from and the staff is very nice. They only thing that we didn't like is that the pool is outdoors in the back of the hotel. Most Kansas hotel pools are located indoors.

Room Tip: Very convenient location to restaurants and shopping.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was in the area for a conference. I shared the double room with a colleague. We enjoyed having the desk area, the wet bar area and the mini living room. The bathroom was small but otherwise the layout of the room was great. The location was also next to other hotels where colleagues were staying, making it very easy to get together after the long days at the conference.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Ok. I'm going to be honest. In all my travels, Hyatt hotels have never even come into the equation when I was booking a room for my trips.

That's not to say that there is anything wrong with them, I guess the brand just wasn't familiar to me so I stayed elsewhere.

After my debacle last month at the hands of the thugs at Delta, and staying at Hyatt Place in Minneapolis Airport area, I decided to give the Overland Park location a shot.

I was NOT disappointed! Once again, Hyatt came through with a clean, comfortable room.

Service staff was friendly, accommodating and personable.

The price was great for the area.

What else can I say? Hyatt, you've created a "Raving Fan"!

Ill see you again soon.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Michael J
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This may be my favorite brand and model of place to stay. For years, I stayed at the one near Denver's airport and when I had to go to metro Kansas City, I looked to see if there was one. There are two. Customer service is excellent, friendly and genuine. Room quality is superb. The room may be a bit cramped, if I had to say anything, but I'd rather be cramped in quality rather than have open space in an average room. We did not use the pool. Breakfast was very good. The one I stayed at is near a convention center and several health-care facilities. The area is quiet, but I stayed on a Saturday night. I don't know if that makes a difference. The two Hyatts are very close to each other, so make sure you know which one you are staying at and how to get to that one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great staff took care of everything. Free breakfast was much better than the usual with unique breakfast sandwiches made fresh, along with real pancakes and a great selection of fresh fruit, breads and juices. The hotel looks to be newly remodeled and the room are big, well laid out and comfortable. The HD flatscreen TV in our room was huge!

My one complaint was the shower/toilet room. (there was an external sink and mirror which was very large) To enter the bathroom, you had to open the door all the way, then step to the other side of the toilet to close the door. Its bad when a bathroom is that small and I hate having to step around the toilet to open or close the door.

Other than that, great location, friendly, professional staff and overall, a beautiful facility.

Room Tip: First floor room was off the lobby, quite but easy to get to.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family