“Nice place for the money”

Days Inn Overland Park
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Cushing, Oklahoma
“Nice place for the money”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is an older property that could use some sprucing up on the outside. The rooms (on the tiny side) were in better condition. The king size bed took up most of the room. Everything worked and the A/C was ICE COLD which was welcome on a hot muggy day. The room was clean and apparently well kept. The only complaints was a LOUD vent fan in the bathroom that sounded like it was about to implode. But for $50, I could live with that. All in all, I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My boyfriend and our two cats were passing through for one night on a move across the country and needed an affordable, pet-friendly hotel that wouldn't take us too far off our course along I-70. This Days Inn absolutely fit all those criteria. The room wasn't very big but it was clean, the king-sized bed was a welcome luxury after an 8 hour drive, and the room had a fridge and microwave which was very convenient. The WiFi worked but was kind of slow. This was my first time staying in any hotel with pets and though I assumed there would be some added cost, I would have appreciated it if they had mentioned the $10 per pet fee when I booked the room. The continental breakfast didn't offer a lot of variety but it had good staple items (cereal, danish, toaster waffles, apples, oranges, etc). If I were staying for more than a night or two I might look for a hotel with a few more perks; if I were coming back through KC again for one night, I definitely wouldn't mind staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This was by far the best Motel 6 I have ever stayed at. Unlike the other Motel 6's, this hotel is one of their remodeled ones. The walls are painted, flat screen TV in the room, 21st century sinks, a big comfy chair with a big desk, comfortable beds, an affordable price...you name it. I almost forgot I was staying at a Motel 6. The hotel was silent during the night, and unlike the other Motel 6's, this seemed like a family friendly hotel. The people at the front desk were also friendly.

I don't give this a 5 star rating due to the checking in hassle. First of all, we booked two rooms, and we couldn't get them next to each other (why not?). Secondly, one of our rooms had a slightly smokey smell (very faint, but enough for discomfort), and the front desk claimed they couldn't change it because they were "all booked up". We ended up trading with another cooperative guest. However, there were barely any cars parked by the hotel, more never came, and there were almost no people around. It was obvious the hotel was not full. I don't understand that.

In my opinion, this hotel is a great deal. Sure, it's more money than the other Motel 6 hotels in the area, but you get a lot more value for your buck. If I'm need of a cheap stay in the KC area, I know where I'm going to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ft smith
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife, my little yorkie and I took a weekend trip to KC and found this motel to be a great value. My wife wished we would have brought our pickup so we could have taken the comfy king sized bed home with us! The room was clean, had everything we needed except for an iron, but I borrowed one from the front desk. All of the staff were freindly and helpful.The breakfast was the standard continental fare and the motel is nestled in with several others in a nice area with lots of restuarants nearby. The neighborhood was safe and enjoyable for early morning dog walks.

Room Tip: we booked the oversized king room and liked the extra space
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I wanted to let everyone know what I thought of this nice aged, but very clean, Days Inn. When I arrived the manager Ken greeted me pleasantly, checked me in, and was extremely helpful in directing me to a local BBQ joint that I was really wanting to try. The room was very clean, and really there were no problems. You could see the property was a bit dated, the wifi worked, and the bed was surprisingly comfortable. I would easily stay there again and thank the owners and staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Reviewed May 7, 2012

On the road again dog showing across America. This was our first road trip of the 2012 season. We chose this motel because Days Inns are usually acceptable and on dog show weekends they usually take dogs for a reasonable pet fee. This motel is conviently located to the freeway and there are plenty of chain and unchained restaurants. We stayed here from check in, March 14, until check out the morning of March 19. We usually don't do motels with outside entrances because our dogs don't know their names and can run off necessitating an hours long chase through unfamiliar areas. Every room in this motel has an outside entrance.

This motel was in the process of remodeling, but the room we had was finished. There was plenty of grass for dog walking and the neighborhood was safe even late at night. Our room was in the front on the second floor. Not noisy at all. Of course, we were pretty tired from running around the ring all day so we might have been too tired to hear much. There is no elevator and that is a problem. Nowhere in the information about this motel is this fact mentioned. Fortunately both of us had fully functioning legs so we were able to make the climb to our room. This motel used to be a Red Roof Inn. It has retained much of the outward appearance of that chain, but the owners have made an effort to make it a little nicer. Kind of like doing a fix and flip house in an old neighborhood. You want to be able to make a little money without spending too much.

Our room was very clean, but spare, the sink, shower, toilet and TV all worked. The WiFi did, too. The carpet was new, or at least seemed new, and wasn't sticky or crunchy. The beds were not deluxe but adaquate and you didn't need to bring your own pillow from home to get a good night's sleep. I would have used it more, but my computer was stolen from the show sight. My travelling companion had an array of electronics accessing the internet and she had no problems blogging away every evening. The front desk person was friendly and efficient. We didn't partake of the free breakfast. The parking lot is not the largest so be sure to get in early to score a spot near your room. However, the lot being small didn't allow for the ubiquitous semi tractors that usually take up space in lots of lower end motels.

Overall, this is a decent motel for the money. The pet fee was a little steep and there was a sign on the front desk stating pets not allowed. The cleaning staff seemed afraid of the dogs even though they didn't run up to them. While not dripping in charm, this was clean and a good basic motel experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you press the point about a ground floor room if you have any mobility issues.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I recently had to stay for a week at this property. Hesitant being a hotel manager my main concerns are cleanliness and pest control, being a professional in the industry. I was very impressed to see how clean my room was, it even had new carpet which was greatly appreciated. I would stay here again, simple, clean and good value for money!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo