“Great rate… rooms need attention.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf

Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
“Great rate… rooms need attention.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I normally don't post reviews, but during my week long I became more and more dissapointed with my room. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The outside of the hotel itself was well taken care of. But the room needed new carpet… tears and VERY worn. The furniture needed to be replaced… heavily stained and very WORN. The hotel is non smoking, but I could smell the "old cigarette" smoke in the room. My work requires much travel and I frequently stay in hotels for weeks at a time. For this reason, I believe that I have seen the best and worst of hotels. Overall I would rate this hotel as a one star. If you price shop you can find other hotels in the area, for the same price, that are cleaner.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had a less than positive experience with us. In response to your feedback, I am working with my team to make sure any furnishings that are damaged, stained, or need repair are reported and addressed prior to a guest check-in. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at kom@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Slinger, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have stayed at many ESA's and recently I stayed at the one on MEtcalf. THis was a very nice place and rooms and bathroom were clean. Nice flatscreen TV and even a DVD player. THe room was a little smaller than other ESA's I have stayed at but it OK, the kitchen was set up nice and table was actually in a usable position rather than packed into a corner. It is like all others maid service every 7 days, so if you need towels you have to go get them at the front desk. Overall it was a nice stay and a nice room, I will be checking back in there on Saturday for another week long stay. If you like a firm mattress this is the place for you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in providing a clean and comfortable stay to all of our guests. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Ames, IA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

First of all, I want to begin my review by saying I had an incredible deal thru a travel website while staying at this hotel. I paid $31 per night, for a two night stay. With fees and tax, my spouse and I stayed for just over $74.00 total.

The gentleman at the front desk, (Adam?) was warm and welcoming - very professional. He made a great first impression. The lobby was attractive.

Our room had a double bed, kitchenette that was stocked with coffee maker, toaster, two electric burners and a dishwasher and full size fridge. The fridge had an ice maker, which was nice. The room and bathroom looked to be freshly painted and clean.

The bed had no mattress pad; just the bottom sheet over it. A cotton mattress pad would have been nicer. The bed was a bit firm, but I'd rather have that than too soft.

The shower was great - a high enough shower head for tall folks and good water pressure. Our towels had holes worn through them and chewed corners. They obviously needed to be thrown away. However, they dried me off, so they still did their job. (see photos)

The Grab & Go breakfast was so - so; pre-packaged muffins (only one flavor variety) and some apples and instant oatmeal. I saw no hot water to make the oatmeal and there was only coffee to drink - so if you bring children to this hotel, bring your own milk or juice. (unless your young ones are coffee drinkers.)

My spouse and I enjoy traveling with our one mid-size dog, who is never left in a hotel room without us. The Extended Stay says they are pet friendly. However, the fine print says they charge $25 per dog, PER NIGHT to have your pet in your room. La Quinta, on the other hand allows pets to stay for free. Adding $50 to our stay is NOT pet friendly in our book, so we boarded our fur child for less than that, and left him at home.

All this being said, if I had paid $80 a night to stay here, I would have been upset about the breakfast choices and demanded new towels. But since I got such a bargain on the price, I was willing to overlook these issues. So buyer beware.

My spouse and I are staying at an Extended Stay again in early May, in the Twin Cities. We again got a low price of two nights for less than $34 a night. I will review that stay once it has taken place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you found us to be such a great value. I will share your comments with the staff and continue to work towards making every guest experience a great one. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

good value. well maintained. staff was helpful to orient out of town guest. ask Adam the late night to tell you where to go. polite and cheerful. try the taste of asia if you like indian food. I know, know...indian food is not "asian" but the owner from nepal so what ever. high quality ingredients. It is a good buffet. and Mr. Gyros is right down the street about 1.5 miles. go for lunch specials otherwise it is over priced. also a chipotle near so you get to vary your diet, indian, mexican, greek. a surprising diversity for a midwest mildly affluent area

Room Tip: no pool or restaurant. choose a room away from the main entrance it is quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank j s
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you had good stay with us. We pride ourselves in training our staff to know what’s available in the area to provide excellent recommendations to local area restaurants. I will be sharing your positive comments with our staff. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Nevada, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I only stayed for one night and I was very pleased with my stay. It was close to where I needed to be and I only dealt with the desk clerk, who offered me any items I may have forgotten to bring with me. I would definitely stay here again. The bed wasn't the best, but it was fine for the price I had to pay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you found us to be a great value. I am sorry that you found our beds to be lacking. We just recently replaced all mattresses in the hotel with NEW pillow top mattresses. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Staying at Extended Stay was and is great, I stayed here last year for a month and a half on business and now I've been here for a week and like last year, it's great. The rooms are clean and very spacious. You won't find better staff anywhere than here at Extended Stay, if I've ever needed anything all I had to do was ask.

Room Tip: i've stayed on the first and second floors, the laundry rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floors so k...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you hold our staff in high regard. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Lansing, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'm astounded by Tripadvisor's ranking for this hotel. After staying there two nights, I booked another hotel for the rest of our trip. I can only guess that several of the excellent reviews are simply bogus.

First, the whole idea of Extended Stay. There are two rooms, the bedroom, and the main room. While having two distinct spaces was nice, the bedroom/bathroom area was very cramped. There was a TV stand in the main room with three not large drawers in them. If you are staying for an extended time, good luck figuring out where to put your clothes. There's not enough storage space for even two people to stay most of a week. There's no real closet either, just an open span with a hanging bar with maybe 4-5 hangers in the bedroom.

Condition of the room. The furnishings are dated, which is really not a big deal to me. If things are kept clean and in good repair, that's usually enough for me. This room was not that. The hide a bed sofa in the main room was in sore need of a good cleaning, it had several stains. Some of the cabinet doors in the kitchenette were so stuck to the cabinets that I didn't think they opened at all at first. I had to literally pry a few of them open each time I wanted to use them.

Onto the bedroom. I really was shocked to see a blanket that looked fit for the trash. It was so worn out, it had many, many holes in it. The light fixture next to the bed was unplugged. When I turned it on, it acted like the lamp had a short circuit and wouldn't stop flickering, so I unplugged it again.

The bathroom. I am a petite person. But the sink, in it's tiny nook, made me feel too wide, not to mention there was very little room to put your toiletries. The plug in the drain was broken, so I had to pull it out completely for the water to drain. The toilet seat had been gouged by something, which grossed me out. How can you adequately clean a seat with deep gouges like that? A new toilet seat is not expensive. The whole toilet needed replacing though. The internals didn't work right, so half the time it kept running until you played with the handle long enough to stop it. By the end of the first day, the toilet plugged up. We had to go get a plunger from down the hall, and by the next morning, we needed the plunger again. If there's one thing that must work in a hotel room it's the toilet!

There was a quarter-sized chip in the enamel on the bathtub, which showed black. Really, even I know there are enamel repair kits that would make that chip hardly noticeable. The shower worked, thankfully, but you had to turn the dial all the way to the end before the water was hot enough.

They advertise a fitness room, which is a requirement for me. The room was about 12 x 12 with one stepper and one eliptical thing. The stepper was broken. There was not a single towel or washcloth to be found, no water, not even sanitizing wipes for their one working machine. They had a little sign that wipes were available at the front desk. Really? How cheap can you be? Fitness room...right.

Oh, and on the issue of cheap. I have stayed at my share of budget hotels and very nice hotels. I don't recall ever staying at one so cheap that it didn't provide shampoo.

We were only there two days, so I kept the do not disturb sign on the door. But honestly, I didn't hear or see a maid in the halls or a maid's cart during those two days. I saw one maid near the lobby after I had decided to checkout early. The front desk had been left abandoned for awhile, so I tried to get her attention by calling her ma'am twice. She was pointedly ignoring me. Fine, maybe she doesn't speak English. But she's an employee, she should not ignore a guest. As I was leaving, I heard a smoker complaining to another that her room hadn't been cleaned and no one would tell her when it would be.

The walls are thin, I got woke up by a neighbor getting dressed before 5 a.m. The toilets flushing from upstairs or next door were very noticeable.

For a hotel with kitchenettes, I don't know why they bother to advertise a grab and go breakfast, which by my husband's account, was rather pathetic. They should redirect the paltry funds they put into a few packaged muffins and granola bars into long put-off repairs!

It will take a lot of convincing before I risk an Extended Stay America again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, if they have empty rooms, check yours out thoroughly before accepting it. W...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank occasionaltraveler66
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant stay with us and that your room conditions were not up to standard. In response to your feedback, I am conducting a full staff meeting to review all of the items you described in your review and make them all aware that this is not acceptable. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at KOM@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.