Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Nevada, Missouri
“Excellent value”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I only stayed for one night and I was very pleased with my stay. It was close to where I needed to be and I only dealt with the desk clerk, who offered me any items I may have forgotten to bring with me. I would definitely stay here again. The bed wasn't the best, but it was fine for the price I had to pay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you found us to be a great value. I am sorry that you found our beds to be lacking. We just recently replaced all mattresses in the hotel with NEW pillow top mattresses. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Staying at Extended Stay was and is great, I stayed here last year for a month and a half on business and now I've been here for a week and like last year, it's great. The rooms are clean and very spacious. You won't find better staff anywhere than here at Extended Stay, if I've ever needed anything all I had to do was ask.

Room Tip: i've stayed on the first and second floors, the laundry rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floors so k...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you hold our staff in high regard. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Lansing, MI
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'm astounded by Tripadvisor's ranking for this hotel. After staying there two nights, I booked another hotel for the rest of our trip. I can only guess that several of the excellent reviews are simply bogus.

First, the whole idea of Extended Stay. There are two rooms, the bedroom, and the main room. While having two distinct spaces was nice, the bedroom/bathroom area was very cramped. There was a TV stand in the main room with three not large drawers in them. If you are staying for an extended time, good luck figuring out where to put your clothes. There's not enough storage space for even two people to stay most of a week. There's no real closet either, just an open span with a hanging bar with maybe 4-5 hangers in the bedroom.

Condition of the room. The furnishings are dated, which is really not a big deal to me. If things are kept clean and in good repair, that's usually enough for me. This room was not that. The hide a bed sofa in the main room was in sore need of a good cleaning, it had several stains. Some of the cabinet doors in the kitchenette were so stuck to the cabinets that I didn't think they opened at all at first. I had to literally pry a few of them open each time I wanted to use them.

Onto the bedroom. I really was shocked to see a blanket that looked fit for the trash. It was so worn out, it had many, many holes in it. The light fixture next to the bed was unplugged. When I turned it on, it acted like the lamp had a short circuit and wouldn't stop flickering, so I unplugged it again.

The bathroom. I am a petite person. But the sink, in it's tiny nook, made me feel too wide, not to mention there was very little room to put your toiletries. The plug in the drain was broken, so I had to pull it out completely for the water to drain. The toilet seat had been gouged by something, which grossed me out. How can you adequately clean a seat with deep gouges like that? A new toilet seat is not expensive. The whole toilet needed replacing though. The internals didn't work right, so half the time it kept running until you played with the handle long enough to stop it. By the end of the first day, the toilet plugged up. We had to go get a plunger from down the hall, and by the next morning, we needed the plunger again. If there's one thing that must work in a hotel room it's the toilet!

There was a quarter-sized chip in the enamel on the bathtub, which showed black. Really, even I know there are enamel repair kits that would make that chip hardly noticeable. The shower worked, thankfully, but you had to turn the dial all the way to the end before the water was hot enough.

They advertise a fitness room, which is a requirement for me. The room was about 12 x 12 with one stepper and one eliptical thing. The stepper was broken. There was not a single towel or washcloth to be found, no water, not even sanitizing wipes for their one working machine. They had a little sign that wipes were available at the front desk. Really? How cheap can you be? Fitness room...right.

Oh, and on the issue of cheap. I have stayed at my share of budget hotels and very nice hotels. I don't recall ever staying at one so cheap that it didn't provide shampoo.

We were only there two days, so I kept the do not disturb sign on the door. But honestly, I didn't hear or see a maid in the halls or a maid's cart during those two days. I saw one maid near the lobby after I had decided to checkout early. The front desk had been left abandoned for awhile, so I tried to get her attention by calling her ma'am twice. She was pointedly ignoring me. Fine, maybe she doesn't speak English. But she's an employee, she should not ignore a guest. As I was leaving, I heard a smoker complaining to another that her room hadn't been cleaned and no one would tell her when it would be.

The walls are thin, I got woke up by a neighbor getting dressed before 5 a.m. The toilets flushing from upstairs or next door were very noticeable.

For a hotel with kitchenettes, I don't know why they bother to advertise a grab and go breakfast, which by my husband's account, was rather pathetic. They should redirect the paltry funds they put into a few packaged muffins and granola bars into long put-off repairs!

It will take a lot of convincing before I risk an Extended Stay America again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, if they have empty rooms, check yours out thoroughly before accepting it. W...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank occasionaltraveler66
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant stay with us and that your room conditions were not up to standard. In response to your feedback, I am conducting a full staff meeting to review all of the items you described in your review and make them all aware that this is not acceptable. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at KOM@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a great location in Overland Park. Many restaurants and shopping opportunities in the area. It is clean and well maintained. The staff are very friendly. Dishwasher in the room is a nice amenity!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Michaelcasino
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I'm pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly! Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon!
Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've been staying here for several months, and I'll be sad when I leave, because I've enjoyed my stay so much! :) All of the staff members acknowledge you, they know your name and do what ever they can to assist you. This even includes the maintenance men, environmental staff.....everyone. This hotel is not like the other longer-term hotels where you have to pay for every little item that you need, or additional towels, etc....but here, at Extended Stay, I NEVER have to pay for an extra ammenity or anything. It's been great - I'd stay here a million times over again!

Room Tip: The kind size suite has a set of doors.....so that it give you that feeling you are going into your...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Brandon H
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for all of your kind words! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed everything about your stay from the accommodating staff to the amenities offered. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Shelly is the General Manager for this hotel. Her hospitality is excellent! The staff that I experienced worked as if they truly enjoy giving an incredible few days to each of their guests. I will stay at this location every time I am in the area.

• Stayed January 2013
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write a review. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay & all the members of our terrific staff! I am very appreciative that you will come back and stay with us again! Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Lathrop, Missouri
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stay regularly . This location is conveniently located around the interstate, and restaurants and shopping areas in the area.The staff is kind and very concerned that you are satisfied with your room assignment. The room has everything your could possibly need, refrigerator, microwave, stove top, TV, coffee maker. internet access.The rooms are quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Pat M
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.