“I highly recommend this hotel”

Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Overland Park
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I think perhaps I did not know really what to expect from a Drury Inn & Suites, as this was my first stay with this hotel chain. I am usually a Hilton or Sheraton gal but I must confess that I was rather pleasantly surprised, as this hotel absolutely went WELL beyond my expectations. My children and I accompanied my husband on this trip, as he had a conference to attend and this was the host hotel, so we tagged alone. With three children in tow, I went ahead and upgraded to a suite, and it was a great indeed. First of all, the exposed brick in the suite was absolutely beautiful, hands down we loved it! This was one of the few hotel suites that I stayed in, whereas you forget you are in a hotel and feels more like a lofty one bedroom apartment. The afternoon hors d'oeuvres and drinks were quite convenient and as it was free to hotel guests the children and I partook in the hardy spread almost every evening. Breakfast we kept missing due to oversleeping and general vacation laziness, however the one day I did manage to climb out of the comfortable bed to partake in the breakfast, I found it delicious! Oh and there is a Panera Bread within eye shot of the hotel and several other restaurants within easy walking distance. Kansas City and Overland Park in themselves left me with the impression as great places to live, there was so much to do. There were kid friendly museums and activities so a family will not run out of acceptable things to do in the city. I finally wanted to commend the hotel staff there. The managers were all very professional and kind, but with particular compliment towards the assistant manager Kevin O’Donell who was friendly, helpful and informative from the time of the booking until our departure. Also front desk clerks Stephanie and Minna in particular, were just all around some of the best front desk people I have ever met (and I have traveled a lot in my life and met many hotel front desk clerks so I mean this literally). They were professional, courteous and kind, as each had the ability to display themselves as amicable and concerned for the wishes and well being of their guests. Bridget was also a superstar as I watched her and all the others take such care and attention to their guests. Great job Drury for selecting such awesome team members, and thank you so very much for all that you did for me and my family to ensure that we had a great stay. We have plans on returning again this summer for a completely leisure trip this time. So I end my review with this, great city, great hotel and great employees. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CarolinaTravelGal
There are newer reviews for Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Overland Park

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel was extremely clean. The furniture/bedding/walls/floors were in pristine condition. The staff was nice. Nothing exceedingly special but Nice. We arrived in cooler weather (Oct) and was concerned about the pool being open. It was wonderful because the pool was half inside half outside. The kids thought that was totally cool!. What a great value to get a full breakfast and a dinner. We arrived literally at 7:00pm and the dinner food was nearly all torn down for the night. We were able to grab some chips but did end up leaving for another meal. But when they say dinner served until 7pm, they mean it. Overall very happy w/ the stay. (They also had a small gym next to the pool)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here for 10 nights during the week of my daughters wedding. We extended our stay and they gave us a free upgrade to a 2 room suite. We had our 2 little dogs with us, which is the main reason why we choose Drury, but they love having the extra room...it's more like home. Yes, the food in the evening gets a bit predictable, but hey, it's not a restaurant! It's free and also you get 3 free drinks, plus free soft drinks all evening! There are fridges & microwaves in every room so you can bring your own if you wish! Rooms are nicely furnished and plenty of amenities. My only small complaint is that they should keep the pool/hot tub open later than 10 p.m. With our busy wedding planning, many nights I wasn't able to get down there before 9:30 or later. Oh, and it was a bit hard to find a flat area to walk the dogs, as the hotel faces a large hill. If you have trouble walking, you should walk them next door by the Pear Tree Inn!

Room Tip: All floors have access to the covered parking garage, so unless you need a handicapped room, I don...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cantstayinoz
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Had to wait for front desk staff for 5 minutes, no one was at front desk. Check in was fast after being helped. The room was above average. The free food and drink area was very crowded. Wasn't a positive experience. I'd rather pick me up a six pack. Over all nice motel.

Room Tip: Expect a big crowd at the free food and drink area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

A very good value for the money! We always try to stay at Drury Inns because of the extras you receive. The parking garage was great since it rained the whole time we were in Kansas City. Already looking forward to our next stay at the Drury Inns.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had never stayed at a Drury Inn and were very pleased with our stay. They have a parking garage so you can park on your level and take your luggage into your floor. They had carts at each level which was nice. We had two suites and they were very accommodating to get us on the same floor. They were clean and roomy. We had a little one in the crawling age and had no qualms about letting him crawl around the room. They had a great breakfast with waffles, french toast, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, fruit and donuts. At 5:30 we were pleasantly surprised with their happy hour. Each adult guest got 3 alcoholic drinks or beer. They also had a buffet of hot dogs, mac n cheese, nachos, soup potatoes, salad and carrots and celery sticks. We actually ate dinner there both nights and were well satisfied. The only things that could have been improved was the pool was a little cool. Kids got chilled fairly quickly. The front elevator is super slow. The other problem was they had had about 7" of rain and they roof in the entrance of the lobby was leaking like a sieve. We will definitely do Drury Inn again it was so handing with all the young kids being able to feed them right there.

Room Tip: It wasn't alot more for a suite and would definitely recommend them.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here at the Drury Inn after reading favorable reviews here on Tripadvisor. Please note that this review is from August 14, 2012. This place is SERIOUSLY in need of a renovation. Our room (330) looked like it was from the 1960's, and not in a good way! In fact, we cancelled the balance of our stay here and moved to another Drury Inn (which I will review after our stay). Again, the mattresses need to be updated, along with the decor. I will say that the bathroom was clean and that is a major requirement of our stays. The kick back after 5:30PM, is nothing more than Budweiser beer, table wine and soda. The night we stayed was nachos, hot dogs and a salad bar. Don't expect the kickback to make up for a meal, although it is a nice touch, albeit not healthy.

The location is too far from downtown Kansas City to be useful...we were going to a Royals game and Legoland and found this location did not fit our needs.

You will also need to drive for any food or shopping.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family