“A comfortable and reliable place”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We've gone to or though Overland Park a couple times a year for the past five years. We've stayed here most often. We find it clean and comfortable, and reliable. The did some updating a couple years ago, and increased the rates to cover the costs. Now the nearby Hampton Inn and Embasy Suites, also Hilton properties, often have better rates. But we still prefer the Homewood.
The staff has always been friendly and helpful. The Homewood is just for enough from I-435 and Metcalf so that traffic noise in not a problem, yet close enough to these for easy access.
I don't recall much about the breakfasts, I'm sure we've eaten them a couple times. Usually we head out to Denny's or Bob Evans for breakfast.
All in all, a clean, quiet, convenient and enjoyable place to stay. We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The one bedroom suite was very spacious, full of natural light which I always prefer in a hotel room if I have to stay cooped in there for long days. It had a luxe feel to it. The kitchen was a bit wanting though but had basic amenities if you are not planning to do serious cooking. The spread at breakfast and evening snack were pretty good. 24 hour hot colombian coffee was a nice add on too. You could also rent free DVDs from the front desk. Their collection was good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed for a four day/three night weekend in August. The hotel was nice, room was wonderful as we had a two bedroom suite so I was able to leave the snorer on the other side and had very restful vacation! They also have windows that open and ceiling fans in both bedrooms and the living area. The suite was one of the cleanest I have seen in a hotel, usually you find telltale signs of something missed but not here, the cleaning staff needs to be commended for the awesome job they do!! The food was good although I wish they would run the week night food and manager reception through the weekend as well as Embassy Suites or Staybridge Suites does, we only got to partake on Thursday and we had to run off to a ballgame midway through. I agree with some of the other reviews that food service in the morning when everyone is trying to get through at the same time could be done better. I also stayed at this hotel because I wanted the outdoor pool which seems to be rare in KC these days. I only had two days to enjoy it but it was closed for maintenance one of the days as the health dept. came through and required it. It was open later in the day but too late for me as, again my fault, we had to run off to another game. Overall our experience was good and would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and the windows also open. I love to have windows open and we could do tha...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was our first stay at a Homewood. Traveling with an infant and staying in one room is not easy, somebody isn't getting any sleep! The room set up was perfect. The separate living room area was plenty big for a pack n play and allowed us to shut our door and get a great night's sleep in the bedroom. The bathroom is large, has a separate sink area to the shower/toilet. Also there is a full service kitchen, kitchen table, etc. This is basically a home. Not to mention the free breakfast every morning which consists mainly of some small food items but worked out great for our son as we didn't need to bring any additional food items to feed him (he is 1.5 yrs old). It was pretty crowded, but we were able to find a seat just fine, and there was plenty of food to go around.

We felt like we were staying at someone's home (hence the name I gather). It was great. I wish more hotels offered these type of accommodations. We will look at staying in Homewoods in every city we visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Spent most of a week at this hotel. It's a "Homewood Suites by Hilton" so its a good hotel. Breakfast and snack dinner served. It's clean. It's nice in a good location. But there were a few minor issues with the meals that were just annoying. At all the meals they constant were out of something. While it was somewhat busy, it certainly wasn't packed. Once or twice I could understand but multiple times every meal ? Also the food was just ok. I've stayed at many Homewood suites and their meals were not on par with others Homewood suites meals. I would stay there again but I can't give them the rave review of most Homewood suites.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Spent a long weekend at this property and had mixed emotions. I've stayed at a handful of Homewood Suites properties and I have to say that this was the worst of those. With that being said it wasn't a bad place, it just wasn't up to what my expectations are of this chain.

We had a 1 bedroom with 2 queen size beds. The room was clean but the layout was much different from my past experiences at Homewood Suites. The kitchen wasn't open to the living room, it was a galley kitchen that was closed off to the living room. It just was a very choppy room and not open like the normal layout I've become accustomed to at Homewood. The water pressure in the shower wasn't that good.

We went to the pool only once because it didn't seem very clean to me. There were needles from the bushes floating in the hot tub and pool and there was pea gravel and other drebris on the bottom of the pool. It gave me the impression that the pool hadn't been cleaned in a while. It is an outdoor pool which is different too from other Homewood Suites I've stayed at.There was also a clear plastic drinking glass sitting on one of the tables and it had leaves and water in it. From the looks of the water it had been sitting there for more than a couple of days. The pool furniture was mismatched cluttered and just didn't fit in the pool area.

The breakfast buffet is always one of my favorite amenities of the Homewood Suites. This one was on par with the rest of the ones I've been to. The two ladies who were the attendants definitely had their hands full on Saturday because it was very busy. I saw someones suggestion about the waffle maker and I agree. I don't think that it's exclusive to this property I've felt the extra waffle maker would be needed at other properties too. The location of the waffle maker was a problem because the garbage and dish drop off was at the same area and with a table for 4 tucked into that corner it was a logistic nightmare on a busy day.

I liked the dvd rental. I've never seen it at another property or wasn't aware of it but it was nice. Also, Elsdon at the desk was very professional, and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
kimberlytwhite, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear bmac75,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of the pool and surrounding pool area and we apologize for this experience. We work hard to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of our guests and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping staff to prevent this from happening in the future. I’m so happy that Edison was able to assist you with your needs and that you enjoyed our DVD rental offering! I hope that if you travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again.

Most sincerely,

Kimberly T. White
Homewood Suites by Hilton
10556 Marty Street
Overland Park, KS. 66212

Reviewed August 6, 2012

A good hotel for the price. A hot breakfast is included that is pretty good - eggs, sausage, potatoes and waffles if you want to stand around and wait. More than 1 waffle maker ought to be available, especially with every kid wanting waffles. Rooms are clean, but carpet could use updating. The lady at the desk was new and wasn't sure of procedures and couldn't print out receipts Sunday morning. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family