“Nice area and clean room”

SpringHill Suites Kansas City Overland Park
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Springfield, Illinois
“Nice area and clean room”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here on a family weekend getaway. Our room was spacious, quiet, and very clean. We had microwave and refrigerator in the room, along with a small sink and counter next to them, which is nice when traveling with a family. The beds were comfortable and there were plenty of pillows and blankets. The front desk staff always greets you with a smile and is very friendly. They were great about offering advice on places to visit and sites to see while visiting. The breakfast was good, but the area does get crowded. It can be difficult to find a place to sit. The pool was nice and they have an outside seating area too. The location is nice with a lot of dining choices nearby. We were within 15 mins of anything we wanted to do in Kansas City. I'd definately stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Omaha
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Rooms were spacious and clean with refrigerator and microwave, and the beds were comfortable with a lot of pillows. The front desk staff were always very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was much better than your average continental with a lot of selections. This hotel is in a very nice area and there are a lot of restaurants and stores in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Within an hour of check in, I started to think, "Franchise!" Sure enough, this is. Over the past decade of heavy business travel, I have noticed that, with a few exceptional exceptions (CR Fairfield), most Marriott franchise properties don't come close to the standards of Marriott corporate hotels. This site sets the very low bar. When I entered the room and turned on the light switch, pure darkness. Not a single light was connected to the switch by the door. The 'suite' is dated and very crowded. The dresser drawers fall off their rails. The cabinet doors are loose and misaligned. Even the door doesn't fit properly letting light and noise into the room. The walls and ceiling show numerous places where repairs have been made and holes cut and patched for maintenance work. One corner guard is held in place by masking tape. (Seriously, you can't make this stuff up, folks.) The sink stop is broken and the carpet stained. If memory serves me still, my college dorm room was better cared for than this property. The only positive thing to say is that the towels are heavy and fluffy. Stay at one of the Courtyards here in Overland Park instead.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TexasVoyager_BW
SpringHillOP, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you were not impressed with your stay. We hope that you can come back and experience our newly renovated suites with the lighter and brighter decor package as well as our newly expanded exercise room.
Papillion, Nebraska
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed with our 3 children in May 2013 while house hunting for a weekend. The room and hotel seem as though they hadn't been updated in quite some time. They were dark and dingy. Not very clean at all. The breakfast was nice but the room was small and always packed. The staff wasn't very personable either. All in all it worked for our needs, but we won't stay again, I definitely expect something much cleaner from a Marriott property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear that you were not impressed with your stay. We hope that you can come by and experience our newly renovated suites with the lighter and brighter decor package as well as our newly expanded exercise room.
Central Nebraska
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Great staff at SpringHill Suites Overland Park. A clean, well-appointed room. Only 1 remote for the 2 TV's. Doing remodeling here, but isn't really a problem. Pool was closed. I'd stay here again when I'm in Kansas City.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CardinalFan1968
Denver
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I booked and paid for a suite - a king bed separated from a sofa bed. What I got was a one-room, room. It was nothing like shown in any of the pictures of the hotel. I posted the photo "Not a suite"

There were two TV's in the room, but it was setup was bizarre. They were literally facing each other, just a few feet apart. It would be impossible to watch both TV's at the same time. Because they were the same brand, when you used the remote, it would control both TV's - which was really annoying.

The sofa bed was completely useless. When pulled out blocked access. If you were in the king bed and the sofa bed was pulled out, you had to crawl over the sofa bed to get to the bathroom or door. I ended up just sleeping on the sofa, not the sofa-bed, because I didn't want the other people to have to crawl over me to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night, or knocking over the TV. Talk about awkward.

In all fairness, the staff was really nice and polite. I asked if I could have another room, but the hotel was completely booked - and it was - I had trouble finding a room when I booked to or three weeks before my stay. My only fault was being the last to arrive at 8:00pm and getting the worst room in the hotel. I choose Springhill Suites, because for me, a suite with a king and sofa bed would be better than two queens in a regular hotel room. However, I basically got a regular hotel room with a king bed and a sofa bed. Had I known that I would not be getting a suite, I would had much rather booked my stay somewhere else.

When I checked out I had planned to voice my experience, but the roar from the lobby made it difficult to even hear the front desk clerk. I know she had ask if my stay was ok, but the crowd and noise would have made it difficult for me to explain my complaints.

Again, I want to say the staff was very polite and professional. It was the layout of the room that made this stay the worst hotel experience in many years.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SpringHillOP, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. You are correct, you did not experience one of our standard suites. As you mentioned, we were sold out and the room you occupied was one of our handicapped accessible rooms. These rooms do in fact have a different layout from the other rooms. Unfortunately, not one that you care for, nor were we able to change you from, due to the sold out status that night. We hope that our service will bring you back and you have the opportunity to experience a Suite to your liking.

Warm Regard,
Danny La Gore
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Checked into hotel around 7:30 asked what places near served dinner late as I wanted to workout prior to eating dinner. Front desk personal said that most places closed at 10pm. He said there was an Ihop near by. I asked why everything closed so early and his reply was because they don't want to get robbed. As a solo female business traveler this was not comforting. I asked if this was a rough area and then he backed tracked and was like no but you know people after a certain time can create problems. I was just looking for a local pub or anything that may be open for a quick bite to eat. There were also two groceries within a stones throw. He could have recommended grabbing something there given the in room microwave etc. I later found several options to eat and the area was very nice around hotel (whole foods, Jason's deli, elephant bar and more.) The gym was quite a disappointment because I looked on line at photos of the gym which were not accurate. The pics showed cardio machines, free weights, exercise mats. When I got to the gym it was a tiny room with just one elliptical and one treadmill and no other equipment. Everyone in the pool looked into the gym as it had a large glass window on the whole left side. The next day i got on line and looked at the gym at the Residence Inn to see if it was better than the gym at the Springhill. It looked online to have additional machines and equipment. I went to that property which was across the parking lot. The front desk staff was gracious to oblige my request to use their gym but informed me that the gyms at both properties were being renovated in the next few months to become ADA compliant. So, that is fantastic for the future, but limiting for all. You may want to call and see if renovations are complete if the gym is important to your stay. On another note, the front desk staff at Residence did offer me a free pass for the Anytime Fitness that was across the street. This was great except you have to give anytime your information and they will try to sell you on a membership. I informed them I only had a short time to work out so they understood. I got a great workout in. The place is huge with everything you could need except a container to hold water. No cups at all in facility just a drinking fountain do bring your own. Back to Springhill- The room was spacious and had two tvs for the room. There was just one bathroom which was unlike other Springhills which I have stayed. It had a microwave, mini fridge and desk area which is standard in the Springhills. The mini fridge did not have a way to adjust the cooling and it froze all of the fresh salads I had purchased across the street at Jason's deli and my other groceries. Be sure to check that when you arrive as there may have been a way to adjust temp if I pulled the fridge out from the cabinet it was in. I had a very quiet room with an amazingly comfortable bed. I slept very well each of the three nights I was there. I am a Marriott rewards member, MVCI owner and Marriott Visa cardholder. I do believe this may be a reason why I seem to always get all of my requests met like high floor and they do also always put me at the far end of the hotel floor which I always appreciate. I was in room 403 and as I said the bed was amazing as was the silence. The shower pressure was adequate but the shampoo and conditioner is very small. May want to ask for additional when you check in or bring your own. Housekeeping did a fantastic job with my requests and daily tidying. If I have a stay longer than one evening I always recommend that you leave a daily tip for housekeeping. Lots of food and entertainment options nearby including "one block south" for live music and four different bars. If you want more info just email me through Trip Advisor or do some research in Yelp. If they get the gym worked out I would stay at the property again. This was my first trip to the area but is a new territory for me so I will be back to the area. If this review was helpful, please give me your helpful vote.

Room Tip: I was in room 403. Bed was great but read my review about fridge.