“Okay... nothing to write home about, though”

Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed March 23, 2014

"Vending" on all floors is just ice... so you can pay the ripoff prices in their "market" at the front desk. As if hotels didn't rip one off with soda machines, this one compounds by charging machine prices PLUS TAX. And you have to go downstairs to get it. If I hadn't got the room at a bargain price through a bidding site, I'd have been really ticked off. As is, it was okay, but not because of anything the hotel did. I wasn't impressed by one of the desk clerks either... not very friendly/helpful. The lobby was under renovation, so half was closed off and made the rest almost claustrophobia inducing. Room was nice, clean and quiet, though, so that brought the stay up to average.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Marcia D, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear TravelingJonesy,

I read about your recent stay to the Courtyard Convention Center in Overland Park and want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I would like to discuss those issues with you further. I want to make sure we compensate you for your inconveniences adequately. Please give me a call at 913-317-8500. I appreciate your comments and look forward to speaking with you further.

Marcia Drake

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center

Reviewed March 17, 2014

It's not often I check into a hotel and find myself checking right back out, but this was one of those times.

First off, the area is poorly lit and just creepy at night. It seems like a dark industrial estate wedged in behind the hospital.

Right now they are installing a Bistro, so they are not offering any food during the day or evenings, just breakfast. Not good news when you've been traveling all day.

The property is looking tired and run down, frankly they probably left it a couple of years too late to start the renovations.

Then the room itself is as plain Jane as you could imagine. Old 90's furniture in that nasty orange 'oak' color. Ordinary bed, no refrigerator.

My room was an 'upgrade' with a balcony, which was so small the tiny chairs were kind of wedged facing each other awkwardly because there wasn't even enough room to set them any other way.

So finding myself so terribly underwhelmed by the room, wondering where on Earth I was going to find something to eat (given the location there wasn't much in the way of food around there that I could see), I quickly checked online and found another Courtyard just five minutes away that cost $20 a night less, has a brand new lobby and Bistro, and is cooking me an evening meal as I write this.

I'm sorry but I have come to expect a certain standard from Courtyard. This hotel didn't even come close to measuring up. I can only hope that the renovations are extensive, but even then it's still not a pleasant location. Perhaps convenient for the hospital though.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Courtyard down the street. They've already finished renovating that one!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Marcia D, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear ZCT808,

Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent visit to our hotel. We are in the process of renovating our lobby to the new Bistro concept which will have a breakfast, dinner and bar option just like the Courtyard you stayed at. Unfortunately, to do this renovation we had to move our restaurant to our meeting rooms, but we still have breakfast available every morning. I would like to talk to you further about our exciting new remodel. Please feel free to call me at 913-317-8500.

Thank you again for your loyalty to Marriott!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I actually stayed in 2 Courtyards here. I was planning to stay with some colleagues in this hotel but my travel agent booked me into the Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Boulevard. It never crossed my mind there would be two so close and so I didn't check the booking. It was effortless to move the booking and I was given a warm welcome here. My room was comfortable with plenty sockets for my electrical kit. I slept like a log and I appreciated the omelette bar at breakfast. My only disappointment was the absence of a bar, although I think I recall they said that would be rectified as part of a renovation

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AJMacD
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I've been using this hotel since June last year. It has a good location, near from I-435 which is a great advantage when running late.
Staff is very friendly and polite, specially during breakfast time. One of the members called Erika makes very nice omelets
Scheila from the front desk has a smile each time I arrive to the hotel

Excellent Service. Keep the good work Courtyard Convention Center!!

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony are the best
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is an old styled Courtyard. It needs to be updated. The linens, towels, rooms and lobbies need updating.

The service is as you would expect from a Courtyard.

Don't go to breakfast here. It is really poor and not up to Marriott standards.

It is reasonably clean but I would recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Marcia D, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Busleis45458,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry that the experience you received was just average. We value your business and would like to hear more about your stay. I can also talk to you about some updates we are doing in the hotel. You can reach me at 913-317-8500.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have stayed at this location three times in the past month. It is very easy to get to off of I-435 and registration desk staff have maps and driving directions to places close by. The staff are friendly, courteous and helpful. The room was clean and although the hotel was full one of the times we stayed, it was quiet at night. We have stayed at other Courtyard's in the area and like this one the best.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms close to the elevator, as we had requested, and did not hear any noise at night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Judi262,

Thank you for the nice comments on Trip Advisor! We appreciate you sharing your opinion with us. We look forward to seeing you when you are back in Kansas City.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

...and by standard, I mean good for business travel. The hotel is off the main streets (quiet), but minutes to the restaurant area. The hotel was clean, and the staff friendly. The workout room had weights which is always a plus. This is not one of the new model Courtyards with the small bar open in the evenings if that is a feature you want. It is right next to the convention center, so this can be a bonus or a problem depending on what convention is being held. During my stay it was quiet, but next time I stay here (and I will when back in the area), I will check to see what the convention is next door.

Room Tip: Be sure to check on what convention is next door at the OP convention center. Could make the differ...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Marcia D, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear JBrette D,

I appreciate your comments about your recent stay. This is a very quiet little subset of an entertainment filled community with Leawood Town Center and Park Place within 2 miles of the hotel. We hope that when you are back in town that you choose to come back and stay with us.