Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hotel was in pretty good condition but showing it's age. A little TLC would go far. For the price it was a great value. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, and great service. It couldn't be in a better location, just off the highway and walking distance from the convention center and in an up-scale part of town. Plenty of shopping, restaurants, etc. close by. Breakfast was just about perfect and the bar is well stocked & reasonable in price. I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Hotel exterior nicely maintained and landscaped. Parked in the free parking garage, expected rain overnight. We were recognized as Priority Club Members with cookies, bottled water and a drink coupon and assigned a quiet room on the top floor. Our room was beautifully appointed. Everyplace (lobby, fitness room, pool area, bar, hallways, etc.) smelled wonderfull and looked clean and new. Most of the other guests were businessmen, the bar was 80% full on a Wednesday evening, but server was prompt and friendly. Not wanting to head over to one of the many nearby restaurants, we ordered the chicken tenders, which were hot and tasty. Although the hotel is located off a major highway, the room was extremely quiet and the bed very comfortable. We ordered the breakfast burrito and an omelet off the menu the next morning, and would order them again. Check out was a breeze.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Big D
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was wondering how Holiday Inn had reinvented itself as the brand had struggled with a variety of competitors in the mid-range and HI Express seemed to be the new "brand" while Crowne Plaza stole the upper end. So this was my first "true" HI stay in a while.

I was pleased with the location and easy access to Nall and 435, and parking was fairly easy. Check-in was a breeze and the lobby decor was nice & clean. There was a nicely stocked snack area next to the check-in desk. Across the check-in area appeared to be a bar area with a few guests mingling in it (or it was just a separate sitting area). My room on the 2nd floor was spacious and well appointed; I was also impressed with the amount of the vanity in the bathroom ^_^. The bed was nice and the pillows were marked soft or firm - something I wish more hotels would do. TV channels were plentiful, high speed internet worked fine, and the heating/ac worked well.

I had a nice sound sleep, and discovered the indoor / outdoor pool in the morning, which is also heated. Quite a nice touch for a midwest hotel.

Checkout was also easy.

I'd definitely come back again as it was a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: can't say too much- my room was near the elevator and I heard no noise
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DiverDown79
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a very nice and seemingly fairly new property. The room was very clean and was equipped with both a microwave and refrigerator. Wi-Fi worked well but does require a password from the front desk.

The lobby has a small store for snacks, etc.., and also offered free coffee throughout the day. Very friendly staff, at the desk, restaurant and bar. Breakfast is not complimentary, but was a decent buffet assortment.

Very convenient location to the Convention center (right across the street), several hospitals and less than 5 minutes from the Sprint headquarter campus. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The last time I stayed in a Holiday Inn, also in this town, I was very disappointed. This one was such a pleasant surprise! I was coming in just past midnight and was nervous that I might get a less-desirable room (it happens!) but as soon as I approached the entrance I saw this hotel was both newer, and nicer-looking, than the last one and my hopes went back up. Registration was quick and painless, the clerk had my room keys all ready in an envelope with my name on it, just waiting for me. Went right up, and discovered they'd given me a king-sized bed in a room very reminiscent of the Marriott decor. Everything looked new, and smelled clean. When I first exited the elevator on the 5th floor, I thought I smelled old, stale cigarette smoke but that smell was not in the room itself.
There was one of those cards to pre-order room service to be delivered at a time of the guest's choice, so I filled that out and placed it on the door. In the morning, however, that breakfast arrived almost 15 minutes late with no call or apology. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry! The food itself looked just fine, but was completely bland. Eggs tasted watered down, potatoes had no seasonings, and the sausage patties were thin and dry even though they were the only thing on the plate with any flavor to them. I ate all the toast, drank my coffee without creamer as there wasn't any on my tray, and left the rest.
I was staying 2 nights and arrived back at my room at 2pm to see it had not been cleaned even though there had been a housekeeper next door when I left and she was just a few rooms down when I returned. I put the Do Not Disturb on the door and laid down and wouldn't you know it? In minutes I heard something and sat up to see someone had slipped one of those form letters under my door that they couldn't clean the room because I'd had that sign up! I opened the door and looked out and that same housekeeper was still just down the hall!! She obviously had noticed my DND sign right away and took advantage of it. I immediately called Housekeeping but there was no answer. The following morning, however, they were just dying to get in my room at 8AM! She was knocking only on certain doors though. Seems they put heavy priority on readying rooms that are being checked out, and very little to none on rooms where the guest is remaining.
If I stay here again, I will call Housekeeping when I'm leaving in the morning to request an "early cleaning". I learned that tip from staying in very large, resort-type hotels, but it's a good one to keep in mind at any hotel, if you plan to be back prior to dinner time.
The lobby and rooms are both very nice, they just need to work a little on Housekeeping and Room Service.

Room Tip: Use Priceline: I got my room at half off!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Every year I attend to a business meeting with my customer at Overland Park, and this hotel has been my choise since more than 4 years, having what I need:

1. Nice, clean and secure hotel infraestructure.
2. A large suite at a fair cost
3. Courtesy beverage & breakfast included
4. Business center for printing & copying
5. Little bar to have a beer watching some NFL match.
6. Big enough & free parking
7. Attached to 435 Highway with easy access.
8. Shopping mall coupple of blocks away
9. Very nice restaurants over the area (New Joe's is a MUST!)
10. Close to my customer's office building (Metcalf Ave.)

I highly recommend it for a quick business trip while in Kansas City (Overland Park) area.

Bon voyage!!!.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Davicho77
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The hotel was in good condition and for the price it was a great value. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, and good service. The hotel is in a great location right off the highway, near the convention center and in a newer part of town. Very nice shopping center and AMC theater nearby. Breakfast was not included but they do have a full breakfast menu. The food was descent or what most would expect. My only warning is the 5th floor was previously a "smoking floor" so the rooms are hit and miss when it comes to smell. If your really sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke then ask for a room on a different floor. To be clear I am pretty sensitive to smoke and I could not smell it in the 5th floor hall but once I entered my room I could so I ended up switching rooms. Other than that it was a good stay.

Room Tip: 5th floor was previously a "smoking floor" so the rooms are hit and miss when it comes to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family