“Where are those stars?”

Ranked #34 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Garden City, Kansas
“Where are those stars?”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

This is what I get for not checking out the place before booking. This place is rated 2 1/2 stars? I'm still looking for the other 2 stars? The room STINKS. The A/C doesn't work very well. The door is so loose I don't even feel safe with it chained and bolted. All I can say is that the bed is comfy and the shower is great, and we're gone all day so we are only using the room to sleep. Would I recommend it to others? Yeah, there are several people I don't like...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Delaware
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This is the dirtiest place I have ever stayed! We say cockroaches, not just one but several. The owner just picked them up and carried them out the fornt door. The doors leading to the parking lot either didnt open or didnt close. The kitchen served breakfast but I would rather eat at the gas station next door. The roof leaked even when it wasnt raining. The bathroom had a leak and water cascaded down the wall from above. The carpets were always wet, smelled musty, and I am sure mold was growing everywhere. DO NOT stay here, but if you do I warned you!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I don't even know where to begin. Traveling out of state with two young children and had pre-booked this hotel. The outside looked nice, good location but that is the only thing I can say positive about this hotel. We checked in and went to our room. My first impression from the the hallways/hotel itself was that it was dirty.

Also on the way to our room, we noticed the restaurant area was closed for remodeling. So much for free continental breakfast.

Walked into our room and immediately noticed a stain on the ceiling that was dripping (stain was right above one of the beds). The AC vent was dirty and had mold on the ceiling and walls around it. The drain stop in the sink was permanently down (no water able to flow through it). Bathtub was old and dingy. Pulled back the sheets to find a cricket leg and multiple stains on the sheets.

Went to the front desk and asked for another room. It only got worse. Second room had a large blood stain on the sheet (had been washed) and multiple other stains on the sheets. My kids told me they would NOT sleep in the beds after everything we had seen, but when we looked at the floor, it had a huge stain on it as well. This room also smelled (dirty, dirty, dirty).

Went to the front desk and asked for yet another room. The third and final room was just as bad - more stains on the sheets and this one had a piece of mouse poop on the blanket. I couldn't make this stuff up if I wanted to - I kept waiting for someone to tell me I was on Candid Camera.

The front desk clerk was friendly and I actually felt sorry for him. He kept saying to me, "This is a 30-year old hotel." That's fine, but like I told him, then advertise that you're a 30-year old hotel and you have no upgrades and you have the same 30-year old bed sheets that you continue to wash and re-wash.

The pool area looked nice from afar but as you got closer, there were things floating on top and along the bottom. The hot tub water was greyish-brown with a film.

FILTHY, FILTHY, FILTHY ... you could not have paid me to stay at this hotel. After much arguing with the front staff and calling hotels.com, I was finally given a full refund. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

I was only able to take photos from the first room, as the front desk clerk went with me into the other rooms. Words really cannot express how terrible this hotel was - the Health Department needs to go in and shut it down!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank milesbella
St. Louis
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Hotel location in a nice area of KC. It is convenient to restaurants and easy access to highway. Property formerly a holidome, so rooms surround indoor pool and party area. Children were really enjoying the pool. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, cereal pancakes, little donuts, apples, orange juice, tea, coffee. Our room was roomy but very damp. Carpet was stained. Bed was comfortably firm; the way we like. In the morning we found out the hair dryer didn't work and we weren't able to call the desk since the phones did not work either, so had to get dressed and go to the front desk to tell them about the hair dryer and the phones not working. A maintenance man arrived at our room and replaced the hairdryer. The phones never worked the rest of our stay. Saw a roach in a drawer. We received a discount off our room when we checked out. There are other hotels in the same area, so there are other options.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Iowa
Reviewed April 29, 2009

When we got there things looked really good... but when we went to turn are air on it didnt work it made a sound of like a really loud car, we had ants in are room and are tv didnt hardly work. Make sure you DO NOT leave anything in ur room because the maids will come in there and tear your room up, we had the do not disturbed sign on are door and we left to go to the nascar race when we came back the maid had tore are room up, beds had nothing on them, sheets all over the room and they got into are stuff and that was all over the room. All we got was just another room but the room was a lot cleaner. They do have a nice pool and play area. but i would not tell people to stay at this hotel i would say go pay a few extra dollers and get better service. And by the way there internet is NOT FREE... You have to pay for a pre paid card and it cost 0.39 cents a min and 0.50 cents to print anything off. IF YOU MUST STAY HERE ASK FOR A ROOM ON THE INSIDE NOT THE OUTSIDE.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Central Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2009

It was apparent the management has tried hard to update the hotel. New fixtures noted in the bathroom, nice bedding, clean room.

Needing work: 1. TV remote didn't work, and it was difficult to adjust the volume.
2. The heating/air unit in the room loudly banged several times during the night.
3. Breakfast was awful--stale bread, rock-hard biscuits, sugary cereals and two fruits. Everyone in my group chose to eat elsewhere.

I give the management credit for their efforts thus far. keep working toward improvement and you'll earn my loyalty.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Saturngrl
Des Moines
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Initially thought I was getting a great deal until.......I started looking around and woke up the next day. Immediately once my family and I arrived we went swimming, uneventful...then we got ready for bed. I noticed a blood stain on one of the comforters, then I noticed something foreign dripping down the bathroom door frame. Not to mention the wallpaper peeling off in the room. Oh I almost forgot the cockroach we saw on the floor of the breakfast area. I was on my way to the front desk to report the creature when I was greeted with the swat team instructing my family and I to get to our room ASAP. I can overlook alot of things until a 30-something women was shot at the hotel the following morning. The swat team was there searching for the culprit and a lockdown was issued. It was extremely frightening for my children and caused us to check out early. As soon as we could make it out of the police barakade we left town. The thing that upsets me most of all about this hotel is that they argued with me about a refund...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank clend2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Overland Park
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at...
#31 of 37 in Overland Park
Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam
Days Inn Overland Park
Days Inn Overland Park
#27 of 37 in Overland Park

Been to Ramada Overland Park? Share your experiences!