“weekend get away with slight problems.”

Ramada Overland Park
Ranked #34 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed February 29, 2012

a little weekend retreat had a few peoblems. Other guests were way too loud the pool was too cold. And the staff at times wasnt as helpful as they could have been.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 14, 2012

The hotel is fine but my customer service experience with Michelle was really great. I was about to be stranded in KC without a cab. It was snowing and not pretty outside. I am sure Michelle had a lot of other things she should have been doing but she dropped everything and helped me by giving me numbers and making calls herself (I heard her beg a few times!). I was able to finally get a ride and get home, but might have been there all day if not for Michelle's caring and concern. I travel a lot for business and it is rare to meet a person that will really go out of their way. Thanks Michelle.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 12LarryB
Reviewed November 28, 2011

If all you are particular about is a clean and comfortable bed and a clean bathroom, then this place is good. Not very well-lit hallways, mix up with check in rooms, not very friendly receptionist (carolyn), not very clean pool, otherwise, not bad. Breakfast wasnt too bad-waffles, 3 types cereals, coffee, milk, orange juice, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs and donnettes. My room (203) had a mini fridge and microwave but the one next door did not, so check if it's important to you.

Room Tip: Take the middle stairways as the ones at the end of the buildings are kind of poorly lit and althoug...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sarahtham
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Our experience started with an indifferent, almost surly desk clerk. We arrived a little early. (2pm) and the male desk clerk gave the impression he was annoyed we were checking in so early. The room was fine, except for the shower that drained very slowly, and backed up about 6 inches during my shower. They gave us a room at the back of the property, bottom floor that opened to the rear parking lot. As the evening approached there were several vehicles arrived with large dogs(German Shepards). After an evening out, we arrived back at our room around 10pm. By then the parking lot was full of vehicles and trailers containing large dogs. They barked viciously as we walked near the vehicles to get to our room. They barked and carried on most of the night. We got very little sleep. I don't understand why they would put us on the back, literally feet from the barking dogs, while most of the dog owners were sleeping comfortably in the rooms on the interior.
When I complained the next morning, he was generally unsympathetic. I demanded to speak to the manager and he said she was not in, and he didn't want to call her so early in the morning. That's very understanding, however they didn't have a problem awaking me at 6am. As of two days later, I have not heard from the manager Shazi Memon. I really don't expect to hear from her.
The breakfast was ok. Mostly biscuits, gravy, eggs, but very little fruit, and no oatmeal.
I would NOT recommend this property, or return.
After a long night, the phone rang at 6am on Sunday morning. It was a wake up call that we DID NOT order.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I happened upon the Ramada Inn in Overland Park Kansas via Travelocity and was well satisfied with my experience there. I have since returned and the service and accomodations I received exceeded my initial stay. The staff is courteous the facility is kept very clean. Also, the continental breakfast is surprisingly diverse and satisfying. I have nothing but the highest praise and regard for this property and the fashion in which the management and staff maintain it. Kudos.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the bigger bathrooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2011

During our stay a group of softball or baseball youth teams were also staying at the motel. Unfortunately they ran amuck while the parents/coaches drank themselves silly in the bar til close and the common area full of beer cans. We called the front desk several times. However tbhis did not make a difference with the wild children. We deserve a refund and the group of wild children needs to pay the difference!

• Stayed: October 2011
KCHospitality, Manager at Ramada Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Dear Guest, I do apologize, we obviously missed the mark with our new policy of controlling youth with sports teams, this weekend. Front Desk associate stated they did tell the children many times to stop running in the halls. I do understand your frustration. This is not the experience we want for our paying guest. From speaking with other hotels in our area they share the same frustration when the groups parents do not watch over their youth. However, most of our groups are wonderful and do contol their youth.
We will continue with our policy and strive to do better. On check-in parents will sign an agreement to be responsible for watching their children.
We have a wonderful interior with an indoor pool and sport court for the youth to enjoy during regular operating hours. I do hope if you will have an opportunity to visit us again to see how these improvements are working. Please call hotel if you want to discuss further.
Management

Reviewed September 10, 2011

I booked reservations through hotelplanner.com for two rooms booked for September 3, through September 5, 2011, at the Ramada Overland Park located at 7240 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Overland Park, KS 66202.

We checked in quickly on September 3rd to an inside room, poolside, where we dropped all of our luggage and were told the second room would be ready later in the day. When we returned from an outing, we were told our second room would not only not be near the first room, but was also accessible from the outside of the hotel only. I took the second room with my adult daughter and put my other daughter and son-in-law in the inside entrance room. Following is our experience in a brief synopsis.

I was awakened at 11:10pm on September 3rd and called the front desk to report a group of 12-15 young adults directly in front of my room window, laughing, talking loudly, congregating, smoking, hollering back and forth from my room (#101) to the room at the end of the strip, approximately eight room doors down. I called again within five minutes to report witnessing an exchange of cash and a small bag between two of the group, one of which I was later informed was an employee dressed in a white dress shirt and dark tie. He had earlier informed members of my family no food, i.e. a box of crackers and a plastic bottle of soda from the vending machine were not allowed near the pool area and therefore the assumption he was an employee. A police car was seen in the parking lot for a short time after my second call during which I requested the Police be called. The police car left and the conversations and congregating continued outside my door/window well into the night. I stayed awake and continued to watch out my window as I was concerned for my vehicle which was parked near my room door. I observed the young man in the dress shirt see me watching from between the curtains and heard him say, "Oh, excuse me, ma'am! Sorry, ma'am!" and then he moved down to the next room door area with his group of approximately eight people. Others continued to converse with each other as they walked from car to room door and meandered around the general area, smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. I slept from approximately 3:30 am to 7:00 am as my adult daughter watched over our car from the window. We found pizza boxes, sacks of garbage from fast food, empty beer bottles and cans and cartons in front of our door upon opening. When I first reported the noise, a young woman came from the inner hallway to the outside area and spoke to the group of people who moved down a couple of room doorways only to regroup in front of my window after she left. I did not see her return.

The morning of September 4th, we attempted to eat at the "free breakfast buffet" at the designated time. We found two hard biscuits, no eggs, no meat, no pastries, no fruit, no coffee, no gravy--several empty serving dishes and no service people. I stepped into the hallway behind the 'buffet' area and called out. No answer. I ventured further in along a dark and extremely dirty hallway/storage area and continued to call out. Still no answer. I reached the kitchen area (this is only an assumption on my part as I saw a young woman cracking whole eggs into a bowl) and caught her attention. I stated there was no food except for the two hard biscuits and there were several people/guests waiting for food. She said, "I know, we're getting some." I said, "Can you tell me how long it will be?" thinking I may have time to check with the front desk regarding a room change from the outside entrance to the inside entrance. She said, "When we get it done." I then retreated to the seating area, gathered up my family, went to report the lack of food to the front desk and was told the young man there would call the kitchen. We left and drove to a restaurant.

The tub in room #101 was dirty, there was a dried reddish-brown stain on the face towel. As a registered nurse, I am familiar with blood stains and I am sure it was indeed a blood stain. Also, of the two room lamps, only one had a bulb and neither were near outlets. The fire extinguisher cabinet which is built into the wall and located under the stairway near the outside entrance to room #101 had open alcohol container--still with liquid in it--easily accessible to small children as the extinguisher sits approximately three feet off the floor. The hot tub was cemented over! I requested a refund or a room change the morning of September 4th and was denied due to full occupancy I was told. Yet I observed several rooms, poolside, with open curtains and no evidence of inhabitants. That is, no luggage, no people, no lights or TV on, no evidence of personal items.

I have never felt unsafe in a hotel room until this experience. I requested a room change and was denied. I requested food that was advertised as available and it was not. I do not know how a hotel obtains the name Ramada, but I will never trust the name again. There was a Drury Hotel a few blocks away, but when I obtained the reservation on-line, I chose the Ramada because of name and reputation. Never again will I make that mistake. We informed the front desk we were leaving the morning of September 4th and we moved to the Drury Hotel for the remainder of our trip. We were denied a refund and/or a room change by the Ramada desk employees.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Misty S
KCHospitality, Manager at Ramada Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Dear Guest,
I do appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept our sincerest apologies for your stay not being to our normal best. If given another opportunity we can show you that we can do better. I have addressed all issues with employees and found out there was a group staying here with youth that apparently were up late making noise.
We will be implementing new measures to make sure this does not happen again. We are going over how to handle loud guest with our staff. In addition, we now have a written policy for all group leaders that they will be reponsible to make sure their youth do not disturb other guest. Again, we hope for another opportunity to show our best customer service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Overland Park
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at...
#30 of 37 in Overland Park
Candlewood Suites Overland Park
#21 of 37 in Overland Park
WoodSpring Suites Kansas City Mission
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf

Been to Ramada Overland Park? Share your experiences!