“Friendly staff, Dirty room”

Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
GARDEN CITY
“Friendly staff, Dirty room”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I was dissatisfied with the cleanliness of the room. The kitchen area and walls needed a deep cleaning. We found a pacifier under our bed. I found a dead insect on the window sill along with dust on the window sill and headboard of the bed. Due to many people staying long term there, the hallways smell like food and cooking. Which wouldn't be bad if the food being cooked had an appetizing aroma. However, on the floor I was on, it just flat out smelled terrible.

A positive note to the hotel was the staff. They were all friendly people.

• Stayed May 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Keri - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. Your comments in regards to the staff members are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read about the level of cleanliness in your room and the slight odor in the hallway. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am talking with my staff, reviewing our cleaning and inspection procedures so we can improve our offerings.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at ovp@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Recently renovated property; tastefully decorated and comfortable. Check-in was smooth, and the Grab and Go breakfast cart was an added bonus. My only negative comment would be minor room cleanliness issues (toaster crumbs on counter, previous guest's trash/wrappers in nightstand drawer, dirty coil burners).

• Stayed May 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. It was disheartening to read that you had concerns regarding the cleanliness of the room and that it was not up to standards; however, I am so pleased that your check-in smooth. As well, that you enjoyed the grab-and-go breakfast cart.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I think I've stayed here before. The location is pretty good. It is nice & quite here. Really, not too bad for the price. The employees are great and do all they can to provide a comfortable stay. It seems that people have walked off with what ever isn't nailed down. So, remember to ask for a hair-dryer if you need one. There's a kitchen but so few utensils it's difficult to prepare a meal. Shampoo is never in the room but is available if you ask. No Ice Machine...are you kidding me? Ice cube trays may have ice, spin the wheel, good luck. My biggest complaint is the heating/cooling system. I simply can not get it to cooperate. The room was too warm before I turned in and then I woke up freezing in the middle of the night. Ah! Their idea of "breakfast on the run" makes me run some where else, prepackaged stuff, some fruit and coffee.... Let me know if this was helpful. Travel safe!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies that there were not enough utensils in the room to make a meal and that the grab-and-go breakfast was not adequate. Still, we are very excited to know that we were able to give you a great price, a quiet hotel and that the staff did everything they could to make your stay comfortable.

Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The staff here is extremely friendly. Once I checked in, I went back to my car to retrieve my luggage. The man working the front desk took the opportunity to make sure the room was to my liking.
This is in a great location. Close to Town Center Plaza and other shopping/dining/etc. Even though my room faced a main road, it was quiet.
The heating/air-conditioning at this hotel is non-traditional. There is a typical wall-unit, but you control it by a thermostat on the wall. I'm not sure I've ever encountered that. At first, I thought I just had a non-working air-conditioner. Once I figured it out, I felt like an idiot.
The room was mostly clean. The only thing I found was a pair of socks in the closet. Kind of a weird thing to leave behind.
The entire hotel is non-smoking. I loved that.
The grab-and-go breakfast is very convenient.
I got a great price for this room and was very satisfied. It's not luxury, but it was just what I expected and I will stay here again and again.

Room Tip: I think you'll get a good room no matter what.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies that there were items left in the closet. Still, we are thrilled to know that you were able to have a great stay.

Creston, Iowa
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Staff = excellent (April is a staff member that went out of her way to make me feel at home and helped me out in every way she could)

Hotel = very clean, sweet, kitchens in your rooms! Dishes included!! I would stay here rather then any other I have ever stayed in before. I think its better then any others I have stayed at in a long while. They treat you great here, they are happy to see you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Booked this last minute because my hotel in Olathe was NOT safe. Staff were very helpful. Suite had a very comfy queen bed, flat screen and a kitchen with full size fridge and kitchen.

Hotel was quiet. Very close to the town center where there are tons of restaurants, shops and movie theater. Only negative was the breakfast provided---prepackaged muffins, granola bars and oatmeal packets

• Stayed April 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We appreciate you letting us know that while you enjoyed our grab and go breakfast, you would like to see it include more options. Still, we are very happy to read that we were able to provide you with a safe place to stay that was comfortable and located near so many other types of establishments.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've stayed at several hotels in the area over the years, this one is the least expensive of the group, and it's a clean, quiet hotel, but I do need to point out a few things.

Internet service. Yes, it's free, for a ghastly slow connection, if you have any kind of work to do that requires a fast connection, you'll have to pay extra for that. For what I paid for the room, they really should just increase the cost of the room and give me the fastest speed. I can't put "hotel internet service" on my expense report for a hotel that is this inexpensive.

Breakfast. Other than coffee, it's absent, unless you want pre-packaged granola bars or muffins. Again, raise the rate a little and offer something more.

The room. It's good, not great, good. I think that for the money, the traveler who is "just passing through" can't go wrong here if all that is required is a quiet bed for the night, but for longer-term stays, I think there are some better choices nearby, even if they are more expensive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the internet connection was not at a workable speed, also that the grab and go breakfast bar was not ideal. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am going to double check that all of the routers in the building are up and running to maximum speed. As well, I am going to pass your comments about our grab and go breakfast onto my supervisors. We all take guests comments to heart, so it will be helpful for them to see as we continue to update our offerings.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ovp@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.