“Absolutely Delicious!”
Review of El Porton Cafe

El Porton Cafe
Ranked #65 of 485 Restaurants in Overland Park
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This place is definitely a hidden gem! We visited this cafe for the first time last weekend. My boyfriend (Puerto Rican) and I were craving food with a Latin Flare. This restaurant is about 35 minutes from our house, so we hoped it would be worth the drive. Needless to say, it was most definitely worth it and we will be making the drive many more times. We both ordered the Pork Hash dish. The Pork was very moist and decadent. Every customer whose plate I saw in the restaurant looked very appetizing. And to top it off, the prices were very reasonable. For 2 dishes & 2 soft drinks, we only paid around $32.

PS The only possible negative thing I could say was that the cafe was small inside and it was close to full when we were there. I'm not sure if they could accomodate lots of people at once (such as special events).

1  Thank Teresa64151
There are newer reviews for El Porton Cafe

Reviewed July 11, 2012

family owned, tastfully decorated and very much alive with a full love music calendar. BYOB and authentic varied south american cuisine. All reasons to go there whenever I get the chance...

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This small cafe is in an area where you don't find anything even slightly similar nearby. I first ate there because I had forgotten that my favorite barbecue place, Brobeck's, was closed on Mondays. I had parked close to El Porton, which is in the location of a previous restaurant that was not so good and had closed. I saw that a new place had opened and tried it. The food was really delicious. I have returned frequently since and recommended it to my friends. There is an interesting variety of Central American food that is always very well prepared.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Having lived in the Caribbean myself with my boyfriend being from South America, we are always looking for places with either one influence or the other. This place has both! Between the plantains and a variety of dishes from South America, we were excited to try it. At first we thought we were lost on the way there, but ended up stumbling right upon it. Located in a small strip mall, the restaurant is quaint and featured a live musician singing songs from Spain. We started with the small ceviche and an arepa, both of which were very good. The ceviche was a little sweeter than what I am used to from Peru, maybe a ketchup base instead of a hot sauce. Still it was very good. He then had a mixed seafood with rice and I ordered the pork hash. My pork hash was amazing! Served with white rice and black beans, the meat had obviously been cooked for a long time. It was tender with an amazing flavor. My other half is incredibly picky, having lived in several countries in South American, including Venezuela which is one of the main influences of this restaurant. He enjoyed his dish, but felt the rice should've been cooked in some sort of lobster base or fish broth to get a stronger seafood flavor. Overall very very good. We would go back!

1  Thank kjs686s
Jose G, Owner at El Porton Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

It's so great to hear about our customers' experiences, especially when they have enjoyed themselves here at El Porton Café! Your sentiments will certainly be shared with our staff. Please come back & visit us anytime! Gracias, Jose.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Wow, food was superb. A great surprise that is hiding in a small mall off Nall. The stuffed fried potato is not to be missed, neither is the Pabellon!!! And do not forget the flam. AND live music on Friday and Saturday.